October 09, 2023
2515 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2716 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What MOVIE(s) have you been....seeing? watching?

More
17 Jan 2021 21:19 #318114 by hotseatgames
I finally got to see the outlier Marvel film, Venom. Tom Hardy plays Eddie Brock, but relocated to San Francisco, away from that troublesome Peter Parker.

Most of the Venom lore from the comics is altered in this film, but that's not really the problem here. The problem is that the script itself is just stupid, and Tom Hardy is wasted on this role. I think Venom is a cool character and concept, but I don't think it works in a vacuum... you need Carnage, you need Spider-Man. Maybe if they got all three of those things together, they could get a good movie out of the idea.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Jan 2021 23:46 #318118 by Cranberries

Shellhead wrote: It seems like movies that are slightly shorter than 90 minutes are always bad. Is it just me? I don't have any recent examples, but I have noticed that when I sort through viewing options, I never see appealing movies of that length. The collective star ratings of Amazon prime viewers seem pretty reliable (most movies with at least 4 stars are good, most with less stars are bad), and they tend to rate these slightly short movies as worse than average.

I use a plug-in that shows the IMDb and meta critic scores superimposed on the movie icon.

I’ve seen tenet twice. It was a more emotionally resonant movie the second time, with Branagh’s whole gotterdammerung thing and the end of the world. I need to watch the YouTube stuff.

I rewatched North by Northwest. Pretty good but showing its age, maybe. Up next: the original Manchurian candidate.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead, jpat

More
18 Jan 2021 10:38 #318132 by Shellhead
Almost Famous, second viewing. Great movie about rock and roll bands, their fans, and the critics. The cast is amazing, both for level of talent and for appropriate casting. I normally dislike Kate Hudson and her smug face, but she is positively radiant in this movie. I am also not a great fan of Frances McDormand, but she takes a challenging role and delivers a very nuanced performance. Patrick Fugit is wonderful as a young Cameron Crowe proxy, managing to convey both keen intelligence and sweet innocence. Billy Crudup is warm and charismatic, and reminds me of my hippie uncle who joined a commune and now runs his own farm. The musical selections are slightly weighted towards Led Zeppelin, but are always just right for the moment. This movie affects me on a deep level, because it connects to my own teenage fantasy of becoming a rock critic while I was typing up news briefs, reviews, and human interest stories for the high school newspaper. My life took a very different path, and Almost Famous takes me back to that distant fork in the road.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries, jpat, mezike, hotseatgames

More
19 Jan 2021 10:03 #318157 by Msample
WONDER WOMAN 84. Oy, what a slog that was. Clocking in at 2.5 hours, glad I didn't sit in the theater for that one, pandemic or not. While not terrible, just dull and strangely devoid of much of the 80s nostalgia feel that the first trailer promised.

More
19 Jan 2021 13:10 #318166 by jpat
I'd pretty much forgotten most of the emotionally darker elements of Purple Rain and mainly remembered the music. The movie is actually reasonably plotted, and there's a reasonably realized character arc for Prince's The Kid, but the treatment of domestic abuse is, if not incidental or entirely cavalier, is both pretty tough to watch and overly tidily resolved. Probably the most shocking moment is Morris Day's pal Jerome's treatment of a woman who's upset with Morris for not coming to see her the night before. So I definitely would not recommend it to a modern audience for anything but the music, which, thankfully, dominates the picture and is as electric as ever.

We saw The Thin Man for the first time on HBO Max the other day, and it was significantly entertaining still. It's clear why there were five sequels, although I think they taper off in quality toward the end, from looking at review aggregations. The film's been restored, so the picture is sharp and the sound is quite good except for a low-level hiss or thrum.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mezike

More
20 Jan 2021 12:09 #318213 by jeb
Been on something of a run lately.

BRICK: Rian Johnson's rookie effort. Basically a Dashiell Hammett story set at San Clemente HS. I liked it a lot back when I first saw it and have cooled somewhat since, but it's still pretty amazing. GREAT young cast.

ARCHIVE: Wonky SF film that probably didn't need to be made because EX MACHINA, SILENT RUNNING, BLADE RUNNER, 2001, &c &c all exist, going back to METROPOLIS. Did you know men are emotionally distant??? Did you know androids that are like people have moral implications??????

PROSPECT: Nice SF tale with Western vibes, dwells on the inevitable exploitation of other worlds as we venture to the staaaaaars.

GHOST IN THE SHELL: I think you needed to see this when it came out to be really wowed by it. It's -good-, but folks worship it like a god. My viewing was not helped by being dubbed (Amazon, can you not afford the Japanese version?)

UNDER THE SILVER LAKE: This looks like it should be great and just falls apart in like seven ways. Someone is trying to channel David Lynch and whiffing badly. The build up is so sloooooow, and the payoff is such a dud I laughed out loud. INHERENT VICE is much much better and that movie is not good. What a letdown.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mezike, jason10mm, hotseatgames

More
20 Jan 2021 18:20 #318229 by Shellhead
I've already talked about Johnny Mnemonic here in the past, but I watched it again last night because it takes place in 2021. Surprisingly decent cast doing an okay B-movie. Dolph Lundgren will surprise you. Dina Meyer gets a better part later, playing Dizzy in Starship Troopers. This movie paved the way for Keanu Reeves starring in the Matrix Trilogy.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries, Msample, jason10mm

More
24 Jan 2021 01:41 #318305 by Disgustipater
Speaking of Keanu, I watched Bill & Ted Face the Music. I liked it a lot. I mean, it's a Bill & Ted movie, but I thought it was pretty good if you are into that sort of thing.

More
24 Jan 2021 10:18 #318310 by Shellhead
Many years ago, I tried to watch Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels. I mean, I sat there and gave the movie my full attention, but I had trouble telling all these British white guys apart. Part of the problem was that I struggled a bit with the accents. The story adds to the challenge, because a group of four guys steals from another group of four guys who stole from another group of four guys. And there is only one woman with a name in the whole movie, and she spends most of the movie passed out. Anyway, I tried again and this time I was able to follow everything and tell the characters apart. And the accent was no problem at all. It probably helped a lot that I have watched a fair amount of BBC shows in the last five years.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries, hotseatgames

More
24 Jan 2021 11:04 #318314 by hotseatgames
I love Lock Stock. Plus you get Sting!
The following user(s) said Thank You: WadeMonnig

More
24 Jan 2021 13:45 #318317 by Msample
LSTSB can be viewed as sort of a warm up/rough draft of what became SNATCH . The latter moves at a much better clip IMO and imports some American actors that make the movie more accessible IMO. I've watched SNATCH a bunch of times, but LSTSB only a couple I think.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jackwraith

More
24 Jan 2021 20:35 #318323 by Cranberries
Steven Soderbergh's Haywire, a thriller with a female protagonist, is lavishly praised by the New York Times but only has a 5.8 on IMDB. Who do I trust?
The following user(s) said Thank You: DarthJoJo

More
24 Jan 2021 20:52 #318324 by DarthJoJo
Just saw it on Friday. It’s worth your ninety minutes. Felt a lot like Three Days of the Condor in tone with modern action sensibilities. You have to be prepared to feel off balance and not really understand what’s going on for about seventy minutes. However, if you can deal with that, you’ll be treated to Gina Carano beating down a ridiculously overqualified supporting cast in a way that feels realistic and earned as opposed to Black Widow’s flippy, spinny neck breaks.

It’s not life changing or anything, but it’s a very well crafted film. I do wish there was another scene or two to develop one or two relationships and character beats, but that could have ruined the pace.

More
24 Jan 2021 21:22 #318325 by charlest
I'm not sure Haywire has been rated that low on IMDB until recently. Wondering if it was review bombed as a reaction to Gina Carano's pro-Trump/Election Fraud/COVID Tweeting the past few months.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead, Cranberries, Msample

More
24 Jan 2021 21:54 #318326 by Cranberries

charlest wrote: I'm not sure Haywire has been rated that low on IMDB until recently. Wondering if it was review bombed as a reaction to Gina Carano's pro-Trump/Election Fraud/COVID Tweeting the past few months.

Ah, I completely missed that little drama. Usually when IMDB scores seem out of alignment for me it is because the entire nation of India has upvoted something I am unfamiliar with.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.635 seconds