October 09, 2023
2518 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2716 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What VIDEO GAME(s) have you been playing?

More
16 Jul 2020 06:51 #312118 by Sevej
Stardew Valley. It's sucking my life out. Totally awesome. Harvest Moon without all the annoyances.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, Gary Sax, hotseatgames, Ah_Pook

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Jul 2020 09:19 - 16 Jul 2020 09:23 #312121 by san il defanso
I have Stardew Valley, and it just has never stuck with me. I think I might just not be suited to life sims like that, Animal Crossing, or Harvest Moon.

I finished playing all of the Bioshock series. I liked it all a lot. I wrote about it over on my blog if you want my not-very-original observations.

It's here if you want to read it.
Last edit: 16 Jul 2020 09:23 by san il defanso.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rliyen

More
16 Jul 2020 10:47 #312122 by Rliyen
Playing more Destiny than a human should be allowed. Last night, after finishing a SIVA Heroic Strike, I was gifted with an EverVerse Box. I got this from it and I nearly pissed myself laughing.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb

More
17 Jul 2020 14:52 #312182 by ubarose

Sevej wrote: Stardew Valley. It's sucking my life out. Totally awesome. Harvest Moon without all the annoyances.

Oh my gosh, this is the first time I've ever been able to make a comment in this thread! I've been playing Stardew Valley with The Spawn. But she keeps yelling at me for getting lost and passing out, which reminded me of the reason why I stopped playing video games with other people. I suck so bad, and everyone gets mad at me.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rliyen, jeb, Gary Sax, mezike, hotseatgames, Frohike

More
19 Jul 2020 15:26 - 19 Jul 2020 15:35 #312206 by Ah_Pook
Second Monster Train win was facilitated by two things. First, starting artifact Sketches of Salvation. You start each fight with 4 random creatures from your deck summoned on your second floor. It ignores capacity. Second, the cavern event that let me get 6 copies of a fully upgraded Spike Hollow (largestone + quick). My Stygian hero posted up on floor one behind a spike hollow and dumped Frostbite on guys, all my other units were position agnostic tanks so whatever got summoned on floor two was an unstoppable wall, and then whatever was left when on floor 3... And got descended into floor 2 to make it even more ridiculous. Oh and I had a bunch of Sap cards too. It felt broken AF, in a fun way :)
Last edit: 19 Jul 2020 15:35 by Ah_Pook.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jexik

More
19 Jul 2020 18:14 #312216 by Jexik
Yeah, you kind of have to do something broken-feeling to beat Seraph. Especially on Covenant 25 (which I'm not at yet), where it gets 1000 extra health.

That Sketches of Salvation is an artifact I've been on the fence about because I can be kinda particular about my rows (and I have been playing a lot of Umbra where which is far right really matters).

If you want to get your first Hellhorned win, I recommend sculpting your hero so he ends up doing 50 damage x2 with the +20 damage on Slay... that seems to give the best scaling.

More
19 Jul 2020 18:27 - 20 Jul 2020 10:10 #312219 by Ah_Pook

Jexik wrote:
That Sketches of Salvation is an artifact I've been on the fence about because I can be kinda particular about my rows (and I have been playing a lot of Umbra where which is far right really matters).

Yea, it only seemed like it would work with certain units. Basically you want only huge expensive units that don't care about where they go. The 6x event is what really blew it open, as it let me get a huge load of exactly that.

Edit: here's a good example of Sketches in action lol. 2k first round DMG vs Seraph... Seems fine.

www.reddit.com/r/MonsterTrain/comments/h...app&utm_source=share
Last edit: 20 Jul 2020 10:10 by Ah_Pook.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jexik

More
20 Jul 2020 09:01 #312227 by Ah_Pook
I succumbed to the hype and night Ghost of Tsushima yesterday, and man it's pretty fucking excellent so far. Here's the thing, it's basically Assassin's Creed 2.8: Akira Kurosawa edition. But I like an open world game, and this one is quite well done so far. And it absolutely nails the samurai cinema vibe. And it is flat out jaw droppingly gorgeous. So... If you want to wander around a map checking it question marks... This is a good one of those. Seems like faint praise I guess, but you 100% know what this game is. The samurai movie vibe and the aesthetics are what set it apart.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rliyen, Frohike

More
20 Jul 2020 11:13 #312231 by Rliyen
Took a break from Destiny to play Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor.

Nice change of pace, but unforgiving in certain areas (The cat beasts I just leave in their cages. Those fuckers are a four legged death sentence. When I do let them out. I just run away and watch the Orcs get ripped to shreds.) The controls are a lot looser than Destiny and it feels like I'm piloting a helicopter than a Gondorian Ranger.

Despite the complaints, I LOVE the Captain system. I also love the "upward mobility" of the Uruk pecking order. I also loved the fact that when you die, the Uruk that killed you usually gets promoted. And the ones that kill you repeatedly (Like that *@&@^$! Bow Master) SMACK TALK YOU! "Yer not any better than the last time!"

Just you wait, fuck head, I'm going to INTERROGATE the fuck out of you and enjoy it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb, Frohike, Gregarius, Nodens

More
21 Jul 2020 12:24 #312294 by Rliyen
Don't you get tired of this, ranger? I find you. We fight. You die!

Went after Blorg the Bow Master last night. Tracked him to a stronghold, sniped the urusk to thin them out. Then, had the terrible tactical decision to attack a captain guarding the front by his lonesome, which attracted ALL the boys to the yard. Including Blorg.

Being overwhelmed, I ran away. And promptly got dropped by a poisoned arrow from Blorg. Dick.

Then, I hunt down another Uruk and during the fight, guess who shows up? BLORG, who give me the above quip. Again, I run away. But this time I get dropped by another captain, making him more powerful.

I'll get you Blorg.... I got your number.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb, RobertB, Nodens

More
22 Jul 2020 22:24 #312361 by hotseatgames
The latest DLC for Borderlands 3, Bounty of Blood, is the best part of the entire game. Fun missions, dialog that was written by an adult, a fun vehicle... just a great experience so far.

Some of my enjoyment could be due to my having hit the level cap and I am absolutely WRECKING fools.

More
23 Jul 2020 15:17 #312393 by ThirstyMan
Back into Paths of Exile which is a free Diablo like but better. I've dropped about 20 smackeroonies on this game so I have a well organised stash but as they change the game every three months, I see no harm in that. You need to follow a build guide because the skill tree is enormous but it is very rewarding. The community that you trade with is generally good if you can put up with young men whinging about their girlfriends when they aren't trading. Mostly ignorant or naive comments though not toxic. There are 10 'acts' to get through which really constitutes the tutorial because the real action starts after that. Super immersive but I like this kind of game.

Grim Dawn is pretty good as well. Good immersive story and a one off payment for the game.

When I'm not doing that I'm teaching Paths of Glory to beginners which is fun.

More
23 Jul 2020 16:03 #312395 by RobertB
My nephews (not kids - one just turned the big 3-0) are into PoE. I personally don't like my Diablo lookalikes to have skill trees that complicated - I just want to wreck shit. But if that is to your liking, I'd recommend it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rliyen, ThirstyMan

More
24 Jul 2020 00:08 #312414 by san il defanso
I've been playing so much Disco Elysium. I think it might be exactly the kind of CRPG I've wanted since I've gotten into the genre...

- Unconventional setting
- Focus on social interaction rather than combat
- Really terrific characters and writing
- Terrific pacing on quests.
- Transparent, well-designed mechanics

It's so, so good. I can definitely see myself replaying it down the line. It's like a version of Planescape: Torment that isn't burdened by a need to adapt D&D mechanics.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rliyen, Gary Sax

More
24 Jul 2020 00:49 #312417 by Gary Sax
Boy, on one hand you're relatively progressive so the straight up communist themes might have some appeal but I'm not sure how your religious perspective will fit into Disco. I'm led to believe it is some real chapo trap house leftism in the writing.
The following user(s) said Thank You: san il defanso

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.880 seconds