October 09, 2023
2218 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2438 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What MUSIC are you listening to?

More
08 Apr 2011 12:48 - 18 Jul 2011 04:20 #93458 by aerodynamics
I can't stop listening to the new Within Temptation album "The Unforgiving". As expected, the album finds the band moving in a more 'commercial' direction, but the songs are very catchy and melodic. Now that Sharon's had her baby, hopefully they can get back to the business of touring and come back the the States again. I saw them on their last US tour in '07 (opening for Lacuna Coil) and was really blown away.

Attachments:
Last edit: 18 Jul 2011 04:20 by ubarose.
The following user(s) said Thank You: KudagFirefist

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Apr 2015 19:39 #201594 by hotseatgames
I've been listening to Modest Mouse and Passion Pit.

More
29 Apr 2015 17:43 - 29 Apr 2015 17:45 #201633 by wkover
I just discovered the Original Album reissues, in which 5 classic CDs are repackaged together in slipcases. You can pick these up for $15-20 imported through Amazon.

I grabbed the Original Album series for:

Buzzcocks
Stiff Little Fingers
Steeleye Span
Molly Hatchet
Black Oak Arkansas
The Meters

I owned random individual songs from these bands, but never full albums. Man, I love buying good stuff for cheap.
Last edit: 29 Apr 2015 17:45 by wkover.

More
06 May 2015 12:42 #201933 by ChristopherMD
I just discovered Eva Cassidy and have been listening to her music exclusively for the past several days.

More
15 Jun 2015 12:43 #204327 by Michael Barnes
I don't know that I've ever had my expectations for a record exceeded like I have for the new FFS album, released last week. In case you didn't get the memo, FFS stands both "For Fuck's Sake" and "Franz Ferdninand with Sparks".

So you've got a band that sort of fizzled out of public view almost ten years ago (despite being actually really good and continuing to release records) and a pair of eccentric brothers that are in their fourth decade of their musical career, never really breaking out of a cult following. And yet here they are collaborating - despite a track called "Collaborations Don't Work" - on one of the best records of the year.

Thing is, it sounds almost exactly like what you'd expect. You get the arty, angular post-punk-pop of FF with the arty, angular post-glam-pop of Sparks. Clever wordplay and felicitous lyrics abound. Cool synths and glitter rock guitars. Two very distinctive vocals rubber-banding around each other.

Almost every track is instantly memorable- there is some great pop songcraft at work here. But the standouts are "Johnny Delusional", "Dictator's Son" and "Police Encounters".

Having just recently gotten into Sparks, I have to say that this is one of the best things they've done since "Kimono My House" and their early 80s work. It may be the best thing that Franz Ferdinand has ever done.

Superb, and it's on Spotify so you have no excuse if you like this kind of stuff.
The following user(s) said Thank You: OldHippy, GorillaGrody

More
15 Jun 2015 13:52 #204336 by Motorik
Yeah, it's a great album, and a really well engineered one, too. It just sounds really, really good. The video for Johnny Delusional is pretty amazing, too.

I'm a Sparks fan from way back, one who went to considerable trouble to see them a few years ago on one of their rare U.S. dates. FFS is certainly the best thing they've done since Lil Beethoven/Hello Young Lovers and maybe the best thing they've put out since Angst in my Pants. The last few Sparks records were pretty lame, so clearly their creative muses drew a new jolt of energy out of the collaboration process. Maybe there was a little friendly competition going on with the FF guys in the songwriting dept.

Cool to see another Sparks fan on here. FWIW, my three favorite albums of theirs are Propaganda, Kimono My House and No. 1 in Heaven.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Michael Barnes, GorillaGrody

More
15 Jun 2015 13:56 #204338 by Hex Sinister
Didn't Sparks have a cameo in the movie Rollercoaster?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Motorik

More
15 Jun 2015 14:07 #204340 by Motorik
They sure as hell did! Also their song "Get Crazy" plays over the credits of the very, VERY underrated movie of the same name.

More
15 Jun 2015 14:34 #204344 by Hex Sinister
Hmm, don't remember that one. Maybe it's on netflix. Rollercoaster, I loved that movie when I was a kid but it's vague now. It's crazy to think that shit is real these days and not just a summer movie. Sorry for derail.

Barnes, I've been meaning to say that SUNBATHER is really a great album. Thanks for the heads up on that one.

More
15 Jun 2015 19:43 #204369 by Michael Barnes
Yeah, the FFS record is REALLY good-sounding...very nice production work, awesome arrangements...the Pitchfork review (I know...don't judge me) made a good point, that it's basically a Sparks record with one of the best backing bands they've ever had.

"Sunbather" is so freaking good, I think that's one of my top records of the past five years, definitely a top fiver. I'd love to direct you to more like it, but there really isn't anything quite like it. There's lot of other shoegazery black metal, lots of other stuff that has that hazy/gauzy kind of sound...but nothing has that almost defiant sense of accessibility, which makes it unusually transgressive for the BM genre. Maybe try Liturgy, another quote-unquote "hipster" black metal band hated by the 100% trve grim kvlt corpsepainters. They aren't as good though.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Hex Sinister

More
15 Jun 2015 22:14 - 16 Jun 2015 09:56 #204379 by OldHippy
Sunbather is an awesome BM pop record, very catchy for what it is. Even my wife enjoys it (I think it's the Pixies vibe it has that she digs). But I think the Liturgy album is almost as good as the Deafheaven one... not musically so it's not obvious right away but thematically and lyrically (which is almost a moot point in BM but still) I actually think they're better.

Love the Sparks... I've never heard Franz Ferdinand (only heard of them) so I haven't jumped up to get the new disc but I am curious about it. No Spotify for me (they paid me a whopping 0.31$ last month!!) so I won't be listening to it for free.

I listened to a bunch of Sun Kill Moon recently... very disappointing. I'm kind of sick of these overly whipmy sounding singer songwriter dudes that have no oompf to their voices. His playing was ok and the lyrics were tolerable but the singing just drove me nuts. It's in key and all that but it just sounds way to sensitive and saccharine to me.

So I went back to Tanya Tagaqs Animism from last year... fucking killer record (Jessie Zoobot is easily as important to the record as Tanya is though). So many genre's in there and her voice continues to astound me. Here's a pretty interesting performance from the Polaris Music Prize award show last year (Canada's big music prize organization) where she beat out Arcade Fire (no one saw that coming) and some other heavies.

Last edit: 16 Jun 2015 09:56 by OldHippy.
The following user(s) said Thank You: iguanaDitty, Dr. Mabuse

More
16 Jun 2015 08:24 - 16 Jun 2015 08:29 #204395 by iguanaDitty

JonJacob wrote: Here's a pretty interesting performance from the Polaris Music Price award show last year

I love this video. Her version of throat singing is really great, although I still prefer the gold standard of Huun-Huur-Tu. I like the different vibe she brings to it though.

edit: I just rewatched it and realized I was ignoring everything other than the throat singing because it's so bizarre. "different vibe" is a massive understatement.
Last edit: 16 Jun 2015 08:29 by iguanaDitty.

More
16 Jun 2015 13:07 #204414 by Hex Sinister

JonJacob wrote: I listened to a bunch of Sun Kill Moon recently... very disappointing. I'm kind of sick of these overly whipmy sounding singer songwriter dudes that have no oompf to their voices. His playing was ok and the lyrics were tolerable but the singing just drove me nuts. It's in key and all that but it just sounds way to sensitive and saccharine to me.

War on Drugs Suck My Cock is good lol.

I never thought of Kozelek as saccharine sounding, that's wierd. I was going to say you should try Red House Painters but if you don't dig Mark ,well, it's probably useless. I know how you feel though, the vocalist is the #1 thing that will kill a band for me. Well, that might be exaggerating a bit but generally (I'm way too picky, a hater of everything lol).

More
16 Jun 2015 13:19 #204415 by Jackwraith
There's a great compilation of most of Government Issue's stuff. GI was part of the DC hardcore scene back in the early 80s. Essential punk.

Also been listening to The Crane Wives lately. They're a folk outfit out of Grand Rapids.

More
16 Jun 2015 13:23 - 16 Jun 2015 13:23 #204416 by Motorik

Hex Sinister wrote:

JonJacob wrote: I listened to a bunch of Sun Kill Moon recently... very disappointing. I'm kind of sick of these overly whipmy sounding singer songwriter dudes that have no oompf to their voices. His playing was ok and the lyrics were tolerable but the singing just drove me nuts. It's in key and all that but it just sounds way to sensitive and saccharine to me.

War on Drugs Suck My Cock is good lol.

I never thought of Kozelek as saccharine sounding, that's wierd. I was going to say you should try Red House Painters but if you don't dig Mark ,well, it's probably useless. I know how you feel though, the vocalist is the #1 thing that will kill a band for me. Well, that might be exaggerating a bit but generally (I'm way too picky, a hater of everything lol).

Ghosts of the Great Highway is a tremendous album from a songwriting perspective, one of my favorite albums from that entire decade, but there's no denying it's melancholy white guy music. The trouble is, his subsequent stuff sounds directionless, less melodic, the arrangements duller, etc. April got all the accolades but, to my ears, that is one boring fucking album. Worst of all, Kozelek has outed himself lately as being one of the biggest assholes in music . Which is hilarious for a "sensitive guy" who trades on wailing voices and sad strummy guitars. I'm sure one day he'll probably try to write off his abrasive public persona as being "performance art" or whatever, since one of the many privileges of being a white dude is getting to play the "Oh, I didn't mean it, it's art" card whenever you want.
Last edit: 16 Jun 2015 13:23 by Motorik.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.359 seconds