October 09, 2023
2515 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2715 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

IMPORTANT SITE NOTICE - The END TIMES are here!

More
27 Apr 2018 22:07 #272101 by Gary Sax

iguanaDitty wrote: I would absolutely back a Patreon for the site as a whole.

Me too. This is great news overall and I support you all. I'll try to contribute stuff when I can!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Apr 2018 22:18 #272103 by SuperflyPete

ChristopherMD wrote: If I was less manly this thread would bring a tear to my eye. We've got a great community here and its awesome to see all the support.

Oh...we thought you were leaving. ;)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
27 Apr 2018 22:43 #272104 by xthexlo

SuperflyTNT wrote: There will be whiskey reviews.

Hoot, mon! I’m down for the scotch!

More
28 Apr 2018 00:19 - 28 Apr 2018 00:20 #272109 by ubarose

Da Bid Dabid wrote: All that makes perfect sense, but I will miss the old name and clubhouse feel. Hopefully some of that sticks around.

I really don't think things will change much here within Trash Talk. Despite appearances, our readership is as high as or higher than it has ever been. I remember when we'd be psyched when an article reached 700 hits in a week. Matt's articles are reaching 3000 in a matter of days, but that is not converting into comments or membership, or folks wandering into Trash Talk to introduce themselves. Comments, and discussion are happening, but it's happening out on various social media. The other week I got looped into three different discussions of one of our articles that had been shared by different people on Facebook (that was a little confusing). So Trash Talk will likely remain somewhat limited in membership.
Last edit: 28 Apr 2018 00:20 by ubarose.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
28 Apr 2018 00:23 #272110 by SuperflyPete
Seriously, put a hidden subforum that appears only for old members, or something. Another website I used to frequent had something like that.
The following user(s) said Thank You: southernman

More
28 Apr 2018 00:23 #272111 by SuperflyPete

xthexlo wrote:

SuperflyTNT wrote: There will be whiskey reviews.

Hoot, mon! I’m down for the scotch!

Scotch is for people who have damaged their taste buds or have too many dollars and too little sense :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: southernman

More
28 Apr 2018 00:43 #272112 by xthexlo

SuperflyTNT wrote: Scotch is for people who have damaged their taste buds or have too many dollars and too little sense :)

I say this in the most loving and caring way: that’s just stupid talk :-P
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frohike

More
28 Apr 2018 02:01 - 28 Apr 2018 02:03 #272115 by Frohike
Just thought I'd memorialize this post:

fortressat.com/blogs-by-members/2953-blank-56840611

I hope stuff like this still finds its place in the new fort.
Last edit: 28 Apr 2018 02:03 by Frohike.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, Black Barney

More
28 Apr 2018 02:58 #272118 by southernman

SuperflyTNT wrote: Seriously, put a hidden subforum that appears only for old members, or something. Another website I used to frequent had something like that.

Yeah ! Where Pete and me (and a few select others) can still swear .... ;-)

More
28 Apr 2018 06:39 #272121 by Dr. Mabuse

ubarose wrote:

drewcula wrote: Part of your monetization plan could include swag with vintage graphics.
Specifically, I would like a t-shirt with the classic FORTRESS AT logo.

Great idea.

Drewcula you are an AMAZING artist - you should do it!

More
28 Apr 2018 06:59 #272122 by ufe20

Gary Sax wrote:

iguanaDitty wrote: I would absolutely back a Patreon for the site as a whole.

Me too. This is great news overall and I support you all. I'll try to contribute stuff when I can!

I'll third this. I'm already signed up there for some youtube bullshit, it wouldn't kill me to chuck a couple bucks a month y'alls way.

So with these more frequent updates, are we getting Barnestorming back? That was probably my favorite F:AT features.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, Gary Sax, Black Barney, Frohike

More
28 Apr 2018 09:32 #272126 by Black Barney
Barnstorming was my favourite too, I hope it comes back. Snippets on games, movies, video games ... it was awesome

Jackwraith wrote: I do films and videogames (mostly Blizzard stuff) these days, so I'm still onboard in that respect. Maybe Barney and I could do a semi-regular "contrary opinions" piece if we find movies that we don't agree on entirely (or at all.) If I get back to playing block wargame stuff regularly, I've had a couple vague comparison/long form philosophy things buzzing around in the back of my head, too, so there's hope for board games yet.

I would love this too Jack. It’s what I tried to get started with Lady Klis for a bit, alternate views on movies as a companion piece. Would be fun to do.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jackwraith

More
28 Apr 2018 10:04 #272129 by ubarose

Southernman wrote:

SuperflyTNT wrote: Seriously, put a hidden subforum that appears only for old members, or something. Another website I used to frequent had something like that.

Yeah ! Where Pete and me (and a few select others) can still swear .... ;-)

Shit. If I can't swear here I'm leaving.

The rules regarding language in the forum aren't changing. Don't put curse words in thread subjects, because it gets the site blocked at people's work. Posts and comments that are judged NSFW or get the site blocked will get moved to Bitchfest. Please don't use derogatory language associated with people's sexual orientation or race. Don't call me a cunt, because that hurts my feelings. Bitch is okay; I own that.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney, Jackwraith, Frohike, engineer Al, xthexlo

More
28 Apr 2018 10:11 - 28 Apr 2018 10:13 #272131 by Cambyses
I don't post here that often, but count me as regular lurker. I am satisfied that this change will mean more content on the front page for readers, because the people here actually talk about playing games—not collecting them, not buying them, not comparing their mechanics to other similar games to determine the best one in a "slot." Those discussions happen to, but there is always someone focusing on how it actually feels to play it more than once, and I appreciate that.

Also, as a teacher of teenagers, MM is sadly right that video is the main medium for the future. Many of my students have trouble understanding, digesting, and re-explaining straightforward articles—all they do is watch fucking youtube videos that explain everything in the most cursory way imaginable. I'm fighting against that wave, but it's hard. As a grown, educated adult, however, I'll take written reviews over 45 minute podcast "discussions" between beardy grognards any day (no offense to any beardy grognards in the vicinity). Thanks for not giving up on the site, and instead reinvesting to make it better!
Last edit: 28 Apr 2018 10:13 by Cambyses.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, Shellhead, ChristopherMD, Cranberries, Frohike, engineer Al, Gregarius, gates_c, ecargo

More
28 Apr 2018 10:47 #272134 by Shellhead
Joe Walsh (of the Eagles) once said, "In the future, kids won't be able to read or write, but they will be able to land the space shuttle."
The following user(s) said Thank You: allismom3, Black Barney, Frohike

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.584 seconds