October 09, 2023
2518 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2720 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

Star Wars: Armada

More
18 Mar 2015 23:29 #199726 by VonTush
Replied by VonTush on topic FFG's Star Wars: Armada
I'd love to get into the game, but I have to be honest with myself here - I don't have an opponent in mind with this one. The complexity I think puts it out of the park for what I'm after. Were I back in High School though and doing the weekend gaming sessions in a buddy's basement, I'd be all over this because I'd have the time and opponent(s) to really learn the game.

That said, I am interested enough that if I sell some stuff and build up some scrap I may take the plunge.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Mar 2015 00:35 - 19 Mar 2015 00:35 #199727 by OldHippy
Replied by OldHippy on topic FFG's Star Wars: Armada

VonTush wrote: Were I back in High School though and doing the weekend gaming sessions in a buddy's basement, I'd be all over this because I'd have the time and opponent(s) to really learn the game.

Ah yes, the eternal deliema, in high school I had all the time in the world to play every game under the sun... but only enough money for a couple of them... now I can afford any game I want, but I just don't have the time to play them.
Last edit: 19 Mar 2015 00:35 by OldHippy.

More
19 Mar 2015 09:22 #199736 by Gary Sax
Replied by Gary Sax on topic FFG's Star Wars: Armada
Inter-temporal game and money wire to your past self.
The following user(s) said Thank You: OldHippy, drewcula

More
20 Mar 2015 03:03 #199799 by Hex Sinister
I've been holding out for a while looking for something more accessible to finally take the place of Star Fleet Battles. This is quite a bit of a stretch but it will do.

I haven't finished reading the quick start rules but it sounds good so far. What I worry about most is the objective cards and how well the game will play with or without them. I tried to read through them all but I only got halfway before my eyes crossed. And I'm not sure how I like that you're each to bring 3 OC's to the table and all that. It seems rather gamey at first glance. So you have to consider all these 12 cards before you field every fleet... Maybe a mountain out of a molehill but there is potential to be shitty here. Endgames consist of what looks to be a lot of shitty point counting.

I really don't want a game like this to rely on fucking scoring. I still have one leg over the fence because there remains a lot to like but I need some solid play info before I plop down $250-ish. I truly hope this is going to rock, crossed fingers.

More
20 Mar 2015 11:17 - 20 Mar 2015 11:30 #199820 by Gary Sax
I think I've decided where I have to fall on this game, ultimately. This is a two player game with custom fleets. I am not going to buy this game unless I have an opponent who is way into it and buying his/her own fleets. I will not supply both fleets for a game like this. It kills me.

Ultimately, that probably means unless I move I'm not getting into it. But it may be one of those games I buy someone's collection for a cut rate price in a few years. I LOVE fleet action games vs. dogfighting and the system looks reasonably solid.
Last edit: 20 Mar 2015 11:30 by Gary Sax.

More
20 Mar 2015 12:01 #199824 by Gary Sax
Also, man do I deeply love the mon calamari ships from the original trilogy. I loved them the minute I saw them in the films too... that is one thing pulling me in, it's awesome that they're bringing them in as soon as wave 2.

More
20 Mar 2015 17:01 #199835 by Hex Sinister

Gary Sax wrote: I think I've decided where I have to fall on this game, ultimately. This is a two player game with custom fleets. I am not going to buy this game unless I have an opponent who is way into it and buying his/her own fleets. I will not supply both fleets for a game like this. It kills me.

Yeah, I feel you... I want to play both sides so this will be a bit too rich for me. It's like a star destroyer hitting me square in the nuts.

Gary Sax wrote: Ultimately, that probably means unless I move I'm not getting into it. But it may be one of those games I buy someone's collection for a cut rate price in a few years.

This could end up in the bargain bin like Dust and all that other failed shit that FFG tried years ago. Too soon to tell maybe.

Those mon calamari ships look pretty sweet - can't wait to see what the paint job will be.

More
21 Mar 2015 14:24 #199850 by OldHippy
Replied by OldHippy on topic FFG's Star Wars: Armada
It looks very cool, I'd love to play it at some point, but chances are I'm not going to buy it. I am not as interested in big ships when it comes to mini games like this. I like X-Wing because of the small ships and dog fights... that's what appealed to me about that world all along and X-Wing gives me that. This game is something different, it's something I never fantasized about and doesn't occupy that same dream space that X-Wing did. It may turn out to be an incredible game and that may force me to look into it again at some later point. But for now that's where I sit.

More
24 Mar 2015 10:08 #199926 by edulis
Replied by edulis on topic FFG's Star Wars: Armada
I think this game looks awesome. My primary gaming buddy is a huge star wars nerd, and single without children and has already committed to buying this. I don't see this game being a big tournament game, like X-wing, it seems like it will take longer to play... so more of an event game, rather than something we just pull out, like X-wing. Plus there are X-wing games and tournaments everywhere and finding an opponent is pretty easy, so it is nice to own your own stuff.

So I am counting on him to buy everything and just let me play.

More
24 Mar 2015 12:57 #199930 by Gary Sax
Reading the rules, I think the defense chits look like one layer too many to me. I know why they're there, to give the defender choices, but...

More
30 Mar 2015 13:44 - 30 Mar 2015 13:45 #200132 by edulis
Replied by edulis on topic FFG's Star Wars: Armada
Now that this has been released, has anyone played it? I had the opportunity, but choose to play X-wing instead, but the miniatures looked nice.
I'm curious on people's take on it? Is it good? Better than X-wing?
Last edit: 30 Mar 2015 13:45 by edulis.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
30 Mar 2015 15:10 #200133 by SuperflyPete
There's a 0.00% chance it's better than X-Wing.
The following user(s) said Thank You: edulis

More
30 Mar 2015 15:37 #200135 by Hex Sinister
But... can't you at least declare a 1.00% chance so we get to roll percentile dice?
The following user(s) said Thank You: 433, SuperflyPete

More
30 Mar 2015 16:32 #200138 by jpat
Replied by jpat on topic FFG's Star Wars: Armada
I am in significant need of someone to talk me down from this, so fire away. I have tons of un- and underplayed X-wing already.

More
30 Mar 2015 19:03 #200145 by Gary Sax
Sure. Here goes: it looks pretty fiddly in the literal sense. Picking things up, moving dials, etc.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.276 seconds