October 09, 2023
2644 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2832 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

LOOK WHAT SATAN SENT ME 2013!!!

More
30 Dec 2013 18:05 #168767 by Michael Barnes
What is it with all the hurt feelings in this thread, I swear I thought I was on BGG for a while.

Now that SS appears to be winding down, some observations:

- Some folks apparently didn't get the memo. The whole point was to get a box of junk. Maybe if you're lucky, you got fancy junque. Maybe if you performed a miracle and/or lead a saintly life this year, you got a package like Jeremy's. I think he must have turned Coke into Pepsi or something. If you expected to get something actually good out of this, you were destined to fail.

- Some folks also didn't get the memo about the gifts. It is not a fine line between inspired bullshit like the Jessica Hahn mag and just random sub-yard sale trash. I've heard from a couple of people whoh felt like their SSs didn't even really try. We've had some BRILLIANT packages delivered over the years. But this year I felt like we had more duds than usual.

- It's really kind of the people that give these 100lb boxes of actually pretty good stuff that sort of screw this up. They raise expectations. They make the dude that sends dirty drawers look like the ass when in reality, the dirty drawers is the more appropriate SS gift. But I've always promoted that you can send whatever you want- as long as you can deal with the guilt and shame of sending someone punchboard refuse when you get something like Jeremy's jackpot. I like that dynamic. The irony of it all is that the folks that send the BIG packages...I've never heard them complain a single time about what they got.

- Part of the fun of SS was the idea that you would send out just whatever shelf toads you couldn't get rid of or didn't want to bother with selling or trading...I kind of think that we should have a rule that you have to send at least ONE complete, decent condition game.

- I'm seriously thinking about next year doing a REVENGE round, where your target will be the person who sent you stuff.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 433, allismom3

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Dec 2013 19:03 #168768 by Sagrilarus
I'd make sending a game of some sort a requirement. After that all bets are off.

I'll be honest, I gave up when it stopped being amusing and started being hassle. The difference between funny and annoying can be thin, and my last go-round my SS was starting to cost me money.

But as always, remember that I'm old and cranky.

Throw a game in a box, add a Hanson poster, ship.

Oh, and Atlanta is sending men to evict you for the Coke-to-Pepsi miracle joke. Though shalt not make Pepsi nor Sherman jokes within Atlanta's city limits.

S.
The following user(s) said Thank You: scissors

More
30 Dec 2013 19:08 #168769 by Secret Satan
Someone who shall remain nameless received their package 18 days ago and is still NON-COMPLIANT.

More
30 Dec 2013 19:22 #168770 by Michael Barnes
IS THAT RIGHT? Well, I need their name. We have their address. We can send "persuaders" if need be.

18 days of non-compliance is just flaunting the rules at this point.

Sag, I think that a "one game" requirement would have assuaged some of the issues a couple of folks had...I kind of shrug at the sour grapes if it's someone that just got crummy games, but if somebody didn't get a full, complete game I kind of understand the frustration.

As for the coke comment, I worked at Coke for about a month on a contract job. It was...weird. You don't talk about Pepsi there. And when you overhear "corporate security" guys talking about people shooting rockets at bottling plants in Africa, you just kind of act like you're not listening. So I might have triggered some kind of response, I don't know.

More
30 Dec 2013 19:45 #168773 by Secret Satan
Someone most certainly sent TS a box of shit. Best $20 I ever spent. I was hoping he'd appreciate it more.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Hatchling, tscook

More
30 Dec 2013 19:55 #168774 by ChristopherMD
I didn't think the people who got duds complained because they didn't get something good. I think the complaint would be someone wasted their time with a box that went straight to the garbage (or bio-hazard disposal bin). I don't participate, but I thought the idea of this was to send your games that you don't want instead of sending people games they want as in a traditional Secret Santa.
The following user(s) said Thank You: scissors

More
30 Dec 2013 20:21 #168775 by rocketkiwi
On a side note, on Christmas Eve I finally got around to opening the Doggie Doo game I got last year. Those sounds are still funny.

More
30 Dec 2013 21:40 - 30 Dec 2013 21:42 #168781 by Hatchling
I thought the non-boardgame gifts this year were really funny.

I do like the rule that you should get one boardgame of some kind. But the important thing is to make people laugh.

PS

This is my new favourite phrase:

fancy junque

Last edit: 30 Dec 2013 21:42 by Hatchling.

More
30 Dec 2013 23:42 - 30 Dec 2013 23:43 #168787 by scissors
I agree it should be funny. The hand written Satan messages of fuck off or a pink cock are funny as are some of the games sent cause it's like we're 13 again.. If I lived in the US I think I would take part. The 'soiled' long johns, whatever it was, ok funny once, but that's it. I get that all 'stained' stuff was fake but once you cross that rubicon, whaddaya send people next time? Not so high on the stain joke ie. rust rag - its like the toilet/ sperm humour Ebert hated... The first instinct is christ get me a garbage bag.

Recipients adding to the humour with their own photos of how they opened is great. how they disposed of them might be funny too.
Last edit: 30 Dec 2013 23:43 by scissors.

More
31 Dec 2013 00:07 #168788 by tscook

Secret Satan wrote: Someone most certainly sent TS a box of shit. Best $20 I ever spent. I was hoping he'd appreciate it more.

I actually remembered that I immediately threw the box away but put the shit in my roommate who was out of town's room. He never brought it up and when I asked him today he said he never saw it so I really have no fucking idea. The gift was appreciated though, I was being hyperbolic for comedic effect and it let me get an easy goof off on Pete and he got mad about it so it turns out to be amazing.

If we're going to get meta about it I think the "includes a game" is appropriate and a revenge round would be the shit.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SuperflyPete

More
31 Dec 2013 02:32 - 31 Dec 2013 02:50 #168790 by SuperflyPete
I did not get mad, I thought it was actually clever and funny. I should've added some "/sarcasm" or something to indicate tone. All this holiday cheer has my evil nature subdued for now, I reckon.

In any event, think at this point we should all know that I am inoffendable, or damned close, and to think that a grade A wanker such as TS Cook (Trivia: TS is short for Tossed Salad) has the moxie to do so is unthinkable. The best revenge is living well, and with the remodelling, bougie gift giving and unearned Christmas bonuses...I'm living the decadent, capitalist dream.

Good Night and Good Luck all.

Top marks on sending someone the shitbox.
Last edit: 31 Dec 2013 02:50 by SuperflyPete.

More
31 Dec 2013 02:42 - 31 Dec 2013 02:47 #168791 by SuperflyPete
One thing: I'm in for SS next year no matter what, I think these things would lose a lot of the flavor if we put too many restrictions on it, but I'd think the one restriction is that everyone should receive a playable hobby game. Now, that game could be a truly, utterly terrible game, but it has to be a hobby game,

No fucked up, puked on copy of Sorry found at the local thrift, but Atlanteon, Tempt, or another utterly horrible hobby game should suffice, beyond that, everything should be on the table. Strippergram sent to a very religious person's house on Christmas Eve with the grandparents to deliver the package? KOSHER AS FUCK. Giant gas powered dildo hidden inside a box of Broadsides and Boarding Parties? CLASSIC. Using napkins that are stuck together with PVA glue (and smell sligtly of bleach) as packaging material, with a note inside the game box that reads, "I enjoyed making the packing material so much that I have to see a urologist, but enjoy the game"? EPIC.

The idea is to have fun, with the expectation that the fun part is doing twisted shit to someone and having the crowd laugh. If your expectation is that you're going to get Robinson Crusoe, you're totally doing it wrong. Send that if you wish, but only if it's delivered by a one-legged midget who meets the target at the door singing Plastic Jesus.

that's my 2c.
Last edit: 31 Dec 2013 02:47 by SuperflyPete.
The following user(s) said Thank You: scissors, 433, Rliyen, allismom3, hotseatgames, buzz71

More
31 Dec 2013 19:03 #168860 by SebastianBludd
IMHO, non-reporting of what you got is just below non-delivery as far as SS sins go. If nothing else, slag me for not being as funny/clever as I thought I was and I'll recalibrate for next year.

While I didn't dare go as lewd and crude as others did this year, I put a fair amount of effort and expense to ship an interesting package, and it's annoying that my target couldn't find the motivation to post anything about it. My target didn't post last year, either, maybe I just suck at this?... ;)

The only rules I believe SS needs are:
1) Mandatory delivery
2) One complete, non-soiled, playable game
3) Mandatory reporting

#3 might sound kind of dickish, but in my first year of this exchange I got 2 romantic games, last year I got the X-Wing Miniatures starter set (okay that was pretty fucking awesome), this year I got Devil Bunny Needs a Ham; and I reported what I got every time. If you didn't get anything "good," tough shit. Suck it up and get typing.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Michael Barnes, jur, Rliyen, Hatchling, san il defanso, wadenels

More
31 Dec 2013 20:22 #168863 by Secret Satan

Michael Barnes wrote: IS THAT RIGHT? Well, I need their name. We have their address. We can send "persuaders" if need be.

Billyz, 1 year 18 days and counting...

More
01 Jan 2014 01:30 #168870 by Dogmatix
Hey Satan, I know you said you shipped USPS "donkey cart" rate a while back, so speed isn't to be expected. Just reporting I ain't seen it yet. If you've got tracking info, let me know if it's allegedly been delivered or not. We've had some postal weirdness [as in, we seem to only get our 1st class-type mail and parcels when certain carriers are working, and our most reliable seems to have moved on to a new job] of late, so I'm just not sure anymore what might have been misdelivered or merely sitting on the back of a truck waiting for someone who gives more of a shit about their job to take care of it.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.208 seconds