October 09, 2023
2523 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2724 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What KICKSTARTER(S) are you BACKING and WHY?

More
30 Sep 2020 17:30 #314689 by Andi Lennon
Aside from MA, the board game I'm most intrigued by on KS right now is Dungeon Universalis. I can't tell if it's madness expecting to get through something so big or if it'll be my new lifestyle game.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Sep 2020 21:58 #314692 by hotseatgames

Andi Lennon wrote: Dungeon Universalis. .

I saw that. It made me glad that I went all-in on Tanares Adventures, which seems similar but better.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Pugnax555, Andi Lennon

More
30 Sep 2020 23:39 #314697 by Andi Lennon
I think DUN is more old-school in approach. Like an expansion on Advanced Hero Quest and Warhammer Quest with a lot of RPG elements. I was sorely tempted by Tanares but it just looked a bit generic. I question the imagination behind something simply called 'Arena'. Although at least it didn't have a ridiculous subtitles like "the Caverns of Ghuthyxywugh" or something
The following user(s) said Thank You: hotseatgames

More
01 Oct 2020 07:58 #314707 by the_jake_1973

Cambyses wrote:

the_jake_1973 wrote: Warfighter Fantasy is dropping on KS at the end of the month. I like the WF series, so I anticipate backing this.

I've never played a Warfighter game, although it seems like something I might be interested in, so I checked this kickstarter out. The fact that they already have $200 worth of "expansion content" listed leaves a really bad taste in the mouth. It's like 175 bucks for an all-in pledge to a card game? Guess I'm out.

That the cost of the expansion decks is what you will pay at retail and at that point I checked out. I'll get it used like I did the other Warfighter stuff, If I get it at all.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ah_Pook

More
01 Oct 2020 08:01 #314708 by the_jake_1973

hotseatgames wrote:

Andi Lennon wrote: Dungeon Universalis. .

I saw that. It made me glad that I went all-in on Tanares Adventures, which seems similar but better.

I went all in on Tanares as well and I couldn't justify dropping another 300 bones on a game that would scratch the same itch.

More
01 Oct 2020 11:59 #314720 by Ah_Pook

the_jake_1973 wrote:

Cambyses wrote:

the_jake_1973 wrote: Warfighter Fantasy is dropping on KS at the end of the month. I like the WF series, so I anticipate backing this.

I've never played a Warfighter game, although it seems like something I might be interested in, so I checked this kickstarter out. The fact that they already have $200 worth of "expansion content" listed leaves a really bad taste in the mouth. It's like 175 bucks for an all-in pledge to a card game? Guess I'm out.

That the cost of the expansion decks is what you will pay at retail and at that point I checked out. I'll get it used like I did the other Warfighter stuff, If I get it at all.

Warfighter is essentially an LCG as far as I can tell. its just a pit to throw infinite money into so you can have huge piles of cards. it has certainly kept it off my list as far as things to check out, even thought it looks fun.
The following user(s) said Thank You: the_jake_1973, Cambyses

More
01 Oct 2020 14:12 #314725 by Cambyses
I guess it does make sense to think of it more like an LCG than a standalone boxed game. I'm not a collector or a completionist by any stretch of the imagination, but it makes the base game seem like a bad deal if they already have all of this extra content that they could just as easily have put in the base game box.

LCGs are a hard pass for me. If I wanted that feeling I would play Blue Moon, or I would still be playing MTG.

More
06 Oct 2020 18:03 #314857 by southernman
Sounds like, from a BGG thread and the FB page, that the upcoming Darkest Dungeon will be a Mythic Games typical offering - an interesting boardgame to accompany a legion of miniatures making it only only interested in miniature painting fan boys. If it was a tabletop battle/skirmish game like some of their other products then fair enough, throw heaps of minis at it, but it's a dungeon crawler boardgame done with their 2D artwork where a limited number of minis and/or quality standees would be much more suitable - like Machina Arcana. I can see it being in the $120 - 150 ballpark while Machina Arcana is $100 and that includes two expansions.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Andi Lennon

More
06 Oct 2020 18:18 #314858 by Andi Lennon

southernman wrote: Sounds like, from a BGG thread and the FB page, that the upcoming Darkest Dungeon will be a Mythic Games typical offering - an interesting boardgame to accompany a legion of miniatures making it only only interested in miniature painting fan boys. If it was a tabletop battle/skirmish game like some of their other products then fair enough, throw heaps of minis at it, but it's a dungeon crawler boardgame done with their 2D artwork where a limited number of minis and/or quality standees would be much more suitable - like Machina Arcana. I can see it being in the $120 - 150 ballpark while Machina Arcana is $100 and that includes two expansions.

Yeah- as a massive fan of the DD videogame I was so pumped for this but my heart sank a little when i found out Mythic were behind it. I simply don't know if i have room for another sprawling mini-heavy affair. I would have loved to have seen a more contained indie take on it. I'm still interested, but my enthusiasm is tempered by the fact that Mythic's emphasis really seems to be tilted towards minis first, gameplaysecond. Especially if JoA is anything to go by. Speaking of Machina Arcana we have now unlocked German, French and Spanish translations for the game which is awesome but I don't envy the translators having to deconstruct some of my weird prose hahahaha Also- the new expansion is coming along super well and is going to add a bunch of cool new ideas to the mix. I can't wait for ya'll to see it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: southernman, Gary Sax

More
07 Oct 2020 14:00 #314885 by BillyBobThwarton
Someone previously mentioned the Magic Puzzles Kickstarter in this thread. My copy arrived Sunday morning. I completed the first one Monday night. If all jigsaw puzzles were like this one, I’d have one out much more often. It was quite enjoyable and I could see myself reaching for it a few times down the road.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose

More
08 Oct 2020 13:11 #314920 by Gregarius
Yeah, we did one of them (Mystic Maze) over the weekend as well. Very enjoyable.
I'm curious to know if the "trick" is the same for all of them (don't tell me). If it is, it won't dampen my enjoyment of them, but I am hopeful that each puzzle has a different twist.
The following user(s) said Thank You: BillyBobThwarton

More
09 Oct 2020 15:41 #314956 by hotseatgames
I canceled my pledge for The Thing. It ultimately didn't look compelling enough, and I really disliked how they ran the campaign. Stretch goals that make a paid add-on better? Nah.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Jackwraith

More
10 Oct 2020 11:09 #314969 by southernman
Likely going forward with Machina Arcana, I like the them and gameplay and it is good value for the content.
Saw a late pledge open for Zerywia from some Polish guys, looks different and fun so it may twist my arm.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Andi Lennon

More
10 Oct 2020 11:43 #314971 by WadeMonnig

Ah_Pook wrote: I don't think I'll back it but the ad running for Shitty Werewolf gave me a chuckle.

I was messing with Matt on Facebook and pitched the idea of a Werewolf Denier. Cracks me up that he tossed it in the game.

More
20 Oct 2020 13:42 #315373 by southernman
I've backed Darkest Dungeon initially, it wasn't as horribly expensive as I thought it may be but I'll see how I think about it in 17 days time.
I'm playing it a bit tough with KSers at the moment, I have a lot of games (now) arriving late this year or 2021 so I've been passing on games I may have grabbed if my shelves were bare - Dungeon Universalis, HEL: The Last Saga, Adventures in Neverland, Chronicles of Drunagor: Age of Darkness, The 7th Citadel have all been skipped in the last few months and I'll probably pass on Euthia: Torment of Resurrection tonight in the PM, and probably the same for Stars of Akarios in December.
Lots of interesting looking games showing up this year but I'm doing my best to be sensible, even been selling off quite a few (:ohmy:) from my shelves to make myself feel even better.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.391 seconds