October 09, 2023
2544 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2739 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What VIDEO GAME(s) have you been playing? ARCHIVE

More
20 Aug 2009 17:00 - 20 Aug 2009 17:06 #38696 by Black Barney
Hex Sinister wrote:

Someone recommend a tense shooter for 360? Don't have XBL.

DEAD SPACE

you will SHIT YOUR PANTS. No joke

honourable mentions:

Orange Box (between HL2 and Portal, you'll have lots of shooter fun)
Bioshock (AMAZINGLY tense shooter, WHAT A GREAT GAME)
CoD4 (fantastic shooter, very stressful)
Gears of War (I find the first one way better than the second. The beserker fights add SO MUCH)
Halo 3 (playing on Legendary really makes the game fun)
Shadow Complex (fun shooter for real) - ah wait, you don't have XBL. Sorry
GRAW (WOW, very tense shooter)
CoD2 (very immersive. I guarantee you'll sweat)

and yeah, Dead Space is terrifying and fun
Last edit: 20 Aug 2009 17:06 by Black Barney.
The topic has been locked.
More
20 Aug 2009 17:25 #38699 by ChristopherMD
Almalik wrote:

Just started in on Culdcept for the DS. Culdcept is a great game series that board/CCG game blend where you are playing down monsters on spaces to colelct tolls from other players. Monsters are element based, and get bonuses if they are gaurding their same element. There are versions out for the PS2, Xbox 360, and DS. The DS version is Japan only so far, but if you have a flash cart for your DS you can grab the ROM for it. A group of people have put together an English translation patch for the ROM, so it is totally playable for those of us with no ability to read Kanji.

I played Culdcept on my PS2. Its okay if you don't mind that the AI is a cheating bitch.
More
20 Aug 2009 18:31 #38709 by Ken B.
Black Barney always has ACE video game recommendations. That I can vouch for with all seriousness.

Now gib me a kiss, you bastard
More
21 Aug 2009 08:43 #38740 by Jason Lutes
Pat II wrote:

Going to fire up Men of War tonight and see how it is.

That game is crazy. Really fun, but really exhausting to play.
More
21 Aug 2009 12:23 #38760 by lj1983
Black Barney wrote:

Hex Sinister wrote:

Orange Box (between HL2 and Portal, you'll have lots of shooter fun)
Bioshock (AMAZINGLY tense shooter, WHAT A GREAT GAME)
CoD4 (fantastic shooter, very stressful)
Gears of War (I find the first one way better than the second. The beserker fights add SO MUCH)
Halo 3 (playing on Legendary really makes the game fun)
Shadow Complex (fun shooter for real) - ah wait, you don't have XBL. Sorry
GRAW (WOW, very tense shooter)
CoD2 (very immersive. I guarantee you'll sweat)

the orange box is awesome, and great value. someday they'll finish episode 3.
bioshock I was actually alittle disapointed with. fun and some neat story, but probably just alittle overhyped when i finally got around to it.

COD4 was awesome. flat out awesome, if alittle short...but a freakin blast the whole time

the GRAW games are great, some real 'movie' moments in there. I like the GRAW games better than Rainbow6 series.

More
21 Aug 2009 14:12 #38770 by jeb
Games currently getting play, by platform:

Nintendo DS Lite
  • MARIO KART DS - fucking awesome. I am wowed by the DS everytime I turn this thing on.
  • BANGAI-O SPIRITS - $15 at Target! Totally insane shooter from Treasure. It's like BERZERK except you can shoot 100 missles at at time and they bounce. Oh, and you can crack robot heads with a bat until fruit comes out.
  • CASTLEVANIA: DAWN OF SORROW. Played through, beat it, now playing through again.

Nintendo Wii
  • SUPER MARIO GALAXY - Come back... to flavor country. My kids take turns on the P2 controller collecting star bits--HOW FUCKING CUTE IS THAT?
  • MARIO KART WII - Das Kartenspiel! I love the contests. We need to send some friend codes around--I'm pretty sure I'm owning all your asses in Kart.
  • ZACK & WIKI - THE QUEST FOR BARBAROS' TREASURE - Goofy superdeformed models and voice acting obscure really nice puzzle game.
  • PAPER MARIO: THE THOUSAND YEAR DOOR - (another GC game) really god. I need more time to play this though because I don't remember what's up from session to session. Also, can I say--HARD? I'm always end up struggling for life after my hojillionth battle.

PlayStation 2
  • ICO - Got this in the FAT Arms Deal, actually. Fucking great.
  • OKAMI - I need to finish this one first though before I can really get into ICO. I borrowed this one. Gorgeous. It's like a painting made life.

Macintosh (shh!)
  • PEGGLE - I also have this on the DS. It's pachinko with a lot of soul.
  • FEEDING FRENZY - a kind of shitty fish-eating game from PopCap. My kids play the HELL out of this thing though.

Web (not including Titan or other turn-based boardgames online)
  • SCRAMBLE - The best BOGGLE on Facebook.
  • BEJEWELED BLITZ - 1:00 minute "endless" BEJEWELED 2 game on Facebook. This is fucking crack. I don't post scores below 100,000--and I post weekly, bitches.
  • FARKLE - A dice game on Facebook that my Mom likes. I want to make spreadsheets to optimize my play.
  • DESKTOP TOWER DEFENSE - Ah, the classics. Flash based tower defense. Tight as hell.

The shrinkwrap of shame (games I own, but have not yet played)
  • SUPER PAPER MARIO
  • EXCITEBOTS
  • MAD WORLD (another $15 game at Target!
  • CASTLEVANIA: PORTRAIT OF RUIN
  • SMT: PERSONA 3
  • GRIM GRIMOIRE
  • BALDUR'S GATE 2
  • NEVERWINTER NIGHTS
More
21 Aug 2009 14:53 #38780 by Ken B.
Just saw Rock Band 2 has dropped $20 at Wal-Mart to a very reasonable $29.96. Whoa, must have that, yo.

Can't believe I busted out "gib me a kiss" for the Barney-man and he no-sold it. PATRICK SULLIVAN...YER BREAKING MY HEART
More
21 Aug 2009 16:00 #38790 by Michael Barnes
BANGAI-O SPIRITS - $15 at Target! Totally insane shooter from Treasure. It's like BERZERK except you can shoot 100 missles at at time and they bounce. Oh, and you can crack robot heads with a bat until fruit comes out.

This is really one of the best games for DS. HUGELY underappreciated. It's completely fucking manic, your first run on some of the levels will last- literally- two seconds. Then the game laughs at you. It captures that sense of figuring out how to survive against impossible odds and getting that sense of video game accomplishment that's missing from a lot of modern games. But yeah, you get to be a Gundam-like robot with a baseball bat. Awesome stuff.

Jeb, we ought to do another arms trade...it's been several months since the last one.
More
21 Aug 2009 16:38 #38793 by iguanaDitty
Almalik wrote:

A group of people have put together an English translation patch for the ROM, so it is totally playable for those of us with no ability to read Kanji.

Where can I find this?
More
21 Aug 2009 18:24 #38799 by Black Barney
Ken B. wrote:

Just saw Rock Band 2 has dropped $20 at Wal-Mart to a very reasonable $29.96. Whoa, must have that, yo.

Can't believe I busted out "gib me a kiss" for the Barney-man and he no-sold it. PATRICK SULLIVAN...YER BREAKING MY HEART

*smmoooooooooch*

SORRY, i was working for christ's sake. I didn't get to surf, troll today at all.

You gotta get Rock Band 2. it's definately the best of all the music games so far. I love it. Great library and I imported all of Rock Band 1's songs plus the DLC is SICK. They are ALMOST at 800 songs or something. It's so sick.

I'm so pathetic with the Achievement-like carrots, I bought 'Splosion Man last night just cuz I want the avatar awards. ugh, so pathetic.

I'm picking up Batman: Arkham Asylum on Tuesday. Walmart in canada is selling it for 39 bucks and that includes exclusive DLC. very cool

i love ken
More
24 Aug 2009 11:16 #38920 by Columbob
Black Barney wrote:

I'm picking up Batman: Arkham Asylum on Tuesday. Walmart in canada is selling it for 39 bucks and that includes exclusive DLC. very cool

Best Buy and Future Shop have the same deal, 38.83 from Tuesday to Thursday. Didn't hear about exclusive DLC though, might be exclusive.
More
24 Aug 2009 14:00 #38968 by metalface13
I bought Lips for Xbox 360 on Friday night for my wife as per the conditions of the Xbox 360 purchase.

I think it's the most fun out of all the karaoke games I've played. You can't get booed off the stage like in Karaoke Revolution. And for some reason just seems more fun than Sing Star. Some fam is coming over tonight for a karaoke party.

Also played the demos for Shadow Complex, Battlefield 1943, Magic: Duel of the Planeswalkers and Lost Planet 2. All were fun. Shadow Complex really rocks though, I can see that as my first XBLA purchase.

The co-op demo for Lost Planet 2 was pretty fun too, running around trying to kill this gigantic monster. Is that what the thrill of Monster Hunter is all about?
More
24 Aug 2009 16:08 #39001 by Nick Dalton
Shadow Complex on the Xbox Live arcade is a quality title in the Metroid/Castlevania vein but with a modern day setting. Ten minutes in and I was hooked.
More
24 Aug 2009 16:45 #39005 by Black Barney
yeah, the RPG-ish element of collecting items and powering up is really fun. Great game for completionists like me. I'll buy it eventually. (Shadow Complex)
More
24 Aug 2009 20:23 #39027 by iguanaDitty
Played a bit of Baldur's Gate Dark Alliance for PS2. Fun...but it led me back to the dark side. Yes I have reinstalled Diablo II+LOD. This time with the Eastern Sun mod which I haven't played before. Pretty good mod.
I think in terms of sheer fun gained over time, I vote Diablo II as the best game of all time.

The new Professor Layton is out this week.
Jinni Zeala is kicking my ass. Thanks Barnes.
Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.835 seconds