October 09, 2023
2546 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2744 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What MOVIE(s) have you been....seeing? watching?

More
03 Jan 2022 13:27 #329286 by Gary Sax
That format of extended video review never works for me, good or bad. It's so easy to make things look stupid or great by cutting together comments and edited footage.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Jan 2022 14:29 #329290 by the_jake_1973
The movie Taxi, the French movie rather than the shit US version, has a great chase scene between a couple AMGs and a Peugeot 406. I see there are also sequels to this series I will have to hunt down.

More
03 Jan 2022 15:08 #329292 by Nodens

the_jake_1973 wrote: I would put Papillion up there with Great Escape for another McQueen movie.

The Thomas Crown Affair holds up pretty well. If you are into sizzling flirts conveyed through looks and dialogue, that is.

More
03 Jan 2022 16:21 #329296 by ChristopherMD

the_jake_1973 wrote: The movie Taxi, the French movie rather than the shit US version, has a great chase scene between a couple AMGs and a Peugeot 406. I see there are also sequels to this series I will have to hunt down.

Only the first sequel is worth hunting for.
The following user(s) said Thank You: the_jake_1973

More
03 Jan 2022 17:09 #329298 by jason10mm
I feel like car chases are fading out due to CGI excesses (Fast and Furious 25 will probably prove me wrong though). It's kinda like seeing someone fall off a building. That PHYSICAL stunt used to be a film highlight, now it is a casual entrance complete with hair flip and closed fist. My personal car chase highlight was summer 2003 with Terminator 3, Matrix 2 and Bad Boys 2 (hmmm sequelitis isn't new apparently) where CG and physical cars merged though stuff like the Bourne films or Ronin have great real life ones as well.

But now I think almost every vehicle on screen is CG these days and the camera doesn't have that visceral feel when it isn't bolted to a car itself. George Miller revived it a bit for Mad Max but I don't recall being impressed at all with any of the marvel, michael bay transformers, or other chases in recent memory. Alas, I don't see it changing either, stuff like the Rust shooting will just drive more safety rules on set and doing it in the computer is obviously safer for everyone involved (other than the poor VFX guys dealing with crunch).

Dare I hope that AmbuLAnce will redeem Bay???
The following user(s) said Thank You: Msample, Erik Twice

More
03 Jan 2022 17:16 #329300 by charlest
I love a good car chase scene.

Fury Road probably is the best. C'mon.

But some of my favorites are Ronin, To Live and Die in L.A. (this is the best Willem Dafoe movie ever made), Drive, Terminator 2, Dirty Mary Crazy Larry, and The Town.

Baby Driver is also a great car chase film and really blew me away.

The motorcycle chase in Mission Impossible: Fallout is also very entertaining.

Vanishing Point is good but overrated. I'm also not the biggest Blues Brothers fan although that one often gets a mention.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Msample, sornars, Gregarius

More
03 Jan 2022 17:24 #329302 by Shellhead
Death Proof has a good chase scene.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jason10mm, charlest

More
03 Jan 2022 17:51 - 03 Jan 2022 18:07 #329304 by mtagge

Msample wrote: Good review of MATRIX REGURGITATED here:

It's cool that he starts off his review with two mysogynistic statements, referring to the new lead (referring to her constantly as gender studies graduate based solely on her hair which is specifically mysogynistic) and to the trans director. The movie doesn't work if you don't remember how the previous movie ended. In the review he states that "it turns out the previous movies were actually a video game". He literally misses the deception despite it being spelled out for him because it let's him pretend that it was a blatant remake a la The Force Awakens. Since he doesn't know how the last movie ends he makes bad assumption after bad assumption and following his own trail of mistakes continues to spin his own web rather than pay attention to the plot. This review is gamergate levels of garbage. It doesn't surprise me that a reviewer that thrives on mysogynistic machismo doesn't like a movie that has an anti hate central message. The rest of my comment will be spoiler heavy on background, but not the point.

You have to know that Agent Smith's AI evolved and was about to blow up the whole system for everyone (robots and humans included), Neo and the robots made a truce saving humans and allowing the system to reboot. In the meantime the energy system of the Matrix was not enough due to the truce and the robots had a civil war. At the end they discovered that modifying the Matrix to feed people a steady diet of hate towards things they couldn't change provided ample power. Additionally they were able to harness Neo and Trinity (rebuilt over and over by the machines hence the lack of aging) by letting them get close but never together for a large amount of strife based energy. To keep that cycle going they had to convince the one that he had psychosis and his memories were from his job designing the previous movies as a video game. NPH's character keeps on feeding Neo blue pills to keep his psyche in the dark. Meanwhile human society has moved and accepted their truce. They started to move past the hate and instead of focusing on the Matrix adopt AI and welcome defectors from the civil war. There is a key scene in the movie where they have recreated strawberries from Matrix code and are actually growing it with the help of AI botanists.

By ignoring the plot and pretending the movie is an action movie he states the movie lacks plot. Uhm, ok. Is the action as good as the previous ones? I'd say no, too much Neo using forcefields. Is there a coherent message and narrative in the movie? Yes. Do you have to come in with the full background and actually pay attention to the dialog? Yes. Does that reviewer have the persona of a piece of machismo garbage? Yep, which can be coolish for a teenager watching movie reviews. Is this an adult movie? Yes.
Last edit: 03 Jan 2022 18:07 by mtagge.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead, Gary Sax

More
03 Jan 2022 22:01 #329305 by Jackwraith
I've yet to find a movie reviewer on YouTube that I actually have patience for, so I didn't bother with this one, either. But "social commentary" or not (and there are many, many examples of that down through the decades), a film still has to deliver a story. This one failed in that respect, mostly because it would qualify as what the music industry used to call "self-indulgent."

I saw Don't Look Up tonight and I don't find it similar to Matrix: Resurrections at all. Yes, it is social commentary in an utterly obvious manner. (I'd be interested to know how CNN qualifies as part of the "cycle of hate", actually.) But it delivers a story far better than Resurrections does. Its particular problem is that the story is kind of tedious in the same manner as Uncut Gems. A bunch of people being as obnoxious as possible for two hours almost can't be otherwise. Unlike Resurrections, where I was annoyed for most of it, I was just kinda bored with Don't Look Up because its points lacked subtlety. I did really enjoy Rob Morgan and Cate Blanchett's performances, though, so there's that.

More
03 Jan 2022 22:34 #329306 by Frohike
I mean... has anyone tried Red Letter Media? They're not awful and their take on Mehtrix is way more balanced than mine:

The following user(s) said Thank You: mezike, mtagge

More
04 Jan 2022 08:19 #329308 by mtagge

Frohike wrote: I mean... has anyone tried Red Letter Media? They're not awful and their take on Mehtrix is way more balanced than mine:

Early in the review one of the guys lays out the "plot", which is rescue trinity, surrounded by a mediocre action film. I'd say this is accurate.

More
05 Jan 2022 18:03 #329419 by mezike
This is the only Matrix review you need:

More
06 Jan 2022 06:59 #329434 by Jexik
I mentioned it in the music thread, but I think Encanto is the best Disney animated musical film in years. The five year old has seen it over ten times, and it isn’t grating on me.
The following user(s) said Thank You: sornars, DarthJoJo

More
06 Jan 2022 08:53 #329436 by dysjunct
Agree; it’s really good and actually takes a risk by breaking from the typical Disney formula. There’s no villain. Great lyrics by Lin-Manuel. Color palette just pops. Good stuff.

More
06 Jan 2022 10:40 #329440 by DarthJoJo
To be honest, Disney films have largely given up on villains since Frozen where those two guys were pretty incidental. Which is pretty surprising considering the success of Cruella and Maleficent and general pushing of the ‘90’s villains.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.820 seconds