October 09, 2023
2546 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2741 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What MOVIE(s) have you been....seeing? watching?

More
19 Dec 2021 16:32 #328919 by ChristopherMD
Spider-Man No Way Home - This was genuinely a fun time at the movies. Obviously it borrows from Into the Spiderverse so I'll just say right now that Spiderverse was a unique film that can't really be topped. No Way Home is really good on it's own regardless. I laughed, I would have cried if I wasn't so manly, and I'm looking forward to whatever comes next for this Peter Parker.

Cameo Spoilers
Warning: Spoiler!

The post-credits scene is just a trailer for the next Dr Strange movie. They're always kind of that but this one felt like I was watching a trailer.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Dec 2021 20:35 #328923 by Shellhead
A lost weekend of heist movies. First, I watched The Italian Job. Then Ocean's Eleven, Twelve, and Thirteen. They are all effectively urban fantasy movies, no more realistic than your average vampire movie. It was a pleasant but empty experience, all glittering surfaces devoid of meaning.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rliyen, ChristopherMD, Kmann

More
19 Dec 2021 22:17 #328926 by Ancient_of_MuMu
My big fear for No Way Home and why I have minimal interest in seeing it is that all about it that is lauded is all the references to other films and that it doesn't have much merit in and of itself
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead

More
19 Dec 2021 22:34 #328927 by Shellhead

Ancient_of_MuMu wrote: My big fear for No Way Home and why I have minimal interest in seeing it is that all about it that is lauded is all the references to other films and that it doesn't have much merit in and of itself

It sounds like it wants to be a live-action Spider-man: Into the Spider-Verse, which was an amazing movie for all kinds of reasons and not just the multiverse angle.

More
19 Dec 2021 23:15 #328929 by ChristopherMD
I think you'll definitely get more out of it if you're a fan of the Raimi movies too as it continues/alters character arcs from those. Like they don't just show up and help/hurt MCU Peter. They're main characters with lots of scenes and dialog.

More
20 Dec 2021 09:20 #328935 by RobertB

Shellhead wrote: A lost weekend of heist movies. First, I watched The Italian Job. Then Ocean's Eleven, Twelve, and Thirteen. They are all effectively urban fantasy movies, no more realistic than your average vampire movie. It was a pleasant but empty experience, all glittering surfaces devoid of meaning.

It sounds like you may need to watch Ocean's 8 and Logan Lucky to keep the streak going. Or watch Heat as a palate cleanser.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead

More
22 Dec 2021 21:48 #328998 by hotseatgames
Just watched Matrix Resurrections. I think it was just about the best way possible that you could make a sequel to that franchise. Fans of the original will really get a kick out of it.

Jonathan Groff steals every scene he is in.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, mezike, sornars

More
22 Dec 2021 22:39 - 22 Dec 2021 23:07 #328999 by Frohike
Mehtrix

My gripes.

1. No physical line work for the fights (it’s all typical 2020-era spazzy CGI animation).

2. Stupid glasses.

3. A shred of a story.

4. Meta overload. Parts of it are self-consciously funny. Most of it is exhausting.

5. Reams of exposition & still no real clarity gained unless you watch it a couple of times.

6. Monty Python Merovingian manages to be even more annoying than he was in the previous films with incoherent, pseudo-French, “I fart in your general direction” babbling.

7. Romcom plot beat in cafe Simulatte.

8. Sound design and score were muted/flat and less visceral than the first film.

9. Neo spends most of the film being broken or… airbending. That’s the height of his power in this one.

Overall, this just felt like watching another 2020’s action film with a lot of “remember the original?” meta-awareness, no new ideas, and paint-by-numbers production.

I can't say I'm beginning to believe.
Last edit: 22 Dec 2021 23:07 by Frohike.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Msample, mezike, jason10mm, sornars, charlest

More
22 Dec 2021 22:49 #329000 by dysjunct
In the current blitz through the MCU with the Spawn, we are now up to Ant-Man and the Wasp. I am pretty confident that Marvel is at its best when it embraces the inherent silliness of comics. This delivers it in spades, with mini hot wheels peeling out and just general good-hearted, good-natured goofiness. Extra kudos for a realistic portrayal of a divorced family relationship, with everyone trying to do their best.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dr. Mabuse, Msample, sornars

More
23 Dec 2021 10:54 #329003 by Msample
Watched THE MATRIX RESURRECTION last night on HBO. I'd rank it behind the original and ahead of the two original sequels. It starts off decent with some good call outs to the original but then meanders for awhile and eventually falls into the trap of the sequels in some bloated action set pieces that aren't especially memorable. The finale in particular drags. The overall plot is somewhat more coherent than the massive exposition dump given by Col Sanders at the end of RELOADED but there are still elements that make you go "WTF" ? Both Carrie Anne Moss and Keanu Reeves are given the opportunity to show more range and they do deliver. Other than Neil Patrick Harris and the guy playing Smith, the new cast members are pretty forgettable; the "ship crew" being fairly bland. Unfortunately no Monica Belucci .
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, mezike, Frohike, sornars

More
24 Dec 2021 03:25 #329007 by Michael Barnes
TWBG’s resident Matrix sequels apologist checking in. I fucking LOVED it. No, it absolutely was not what I expected or what I wanted it to be. Instead, it was much weirder and more heartfelt than I expected. Almost every scene thwarted expectations, there was almost always something surprising or completely unique going on. I loved that it leaned hard into the nostalgia and knowing that she decided to make this film after her parents passed and was going back to these characters for comfort made the whole thing feel intensely personal, which is not something you can say about 99% of genre films. Yeah, it was awkward and sometimes incoherent and occasionally tentative, but that made it feel all the more alive and even joyful.
The following user(s) said Thank You: san il defanso, sornars

More
26 Dec 2021 17:28 #329046 by jason10mm
Not a fan of the new Matrix AT ALL. Even if I excused the plot and all the meta critique, there is no excuse for the action to be so....mediocre. The first 3, if nothing else, were revolutionary in that respect.

What I DID like though was that Matrix game demo thing I found on my xbox X. WOOOOW it felt like it was made by a person that read the Matrix 4 script, nodded a few times, and then immediately made it 1000% better.

8 Bit Christmas also on HBO max. This is an attempt to make a more timely version of A Christmas Story by going from a red ryder and the 30s(?) to a NES and the 80's. Otherwise it is very similar thematically but DO NOT watch this with your kids and your dad in the same room unless you got a lot of onions to cut! So this isn't really a laugh riot type film but I found it quite charming. There are precious few new christmas films that get added to our annual viewing cycle (the Kurt Russel one was probably the most recent) but this one might make the rotation.

More
26 Dec 2021 17:32 #329047 by charlest
I found Matrix somewhat boring as well.

For all its meta self-referential grandiosity, it felt very safe and unambitious. I thought the first 20 minutes was interesting and was kind of worried it was going to pull a Force Awakens and just rehash a previous film, but it turned even worse maybe. Not sure.

I guess I didn't hate it, but it did almost nothing for me.

More
27 Dec 2021 04:10 #329051 by thegiantbrain
I am relieved to find I am not the only person who was bored by the new Matrix. I enjoyed some of the commentary in it about the nature of sequels but the whole thing felt very arch, not clever. It really felt like it forgot what made the original Matrix so mind blowing, a film that was a real game changer in what we had seen on the screen before.

The action scenes in Resurrections were really poorly directed, with the exception of the confrontation in the dojo. Action was zoomed in too much, the slo-mo stuff felt cheap not cool. Just felt like a bunch of other action films, nothing to set it apart.

I wasn't that big a fan of Reloaded or Revolutions either, the film should have stood alone and it would have been all the better for it.

More
27 Dec 2021 22:18 #329057 by DarthJoJo
Saw Spider-Man: No Way Home about a week ago now, and I’m still not totally sure how I feel about it. It was definitely entertaining. I enjoyed my time in the theater and didn’t step out despite a great need to use the bathroom before the final act geared into gear. Despite its high concept premise, it grounded it in Peter Parker’s world through his continuing emotional trauma and need to help his friends get into college. The emotional beats of a life that could not be saved and another that could landed. Seeing actors slip back into performances decades old and relish them was a treat.

The plot though?
The following user(s) said Thank You: mezike, sornars, Nodens

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 1.153 seconds