October 09, 2023
2544 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2739 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What IOS games have you been playing? ARCHIVE

More
23 Jan 2012 00:10 #113819 by Bullwinkle
Matt, your best bet for a Civ-style game is likely Starbase Orion. I haven't played it yet, but the word is that it's basically a modern version of Master of Orion 2.

Civilization Revolution is Civilization SUPER Light. I found it a little disappointing, because I was really hoping for Civ. I did play it a little more afterward, and warmed up to it for what it is, but frankly, it's nothing like the full game. Strangely, it feels more like a wargame than a civ-building game. Games don't take much more than a couple of hours. It will not scratch the itch you're talking about.

I have World at War, but haven't tried it yet.

Barnes, shame to hear about Time of Heroes. Well, I've already bought it, so I'll give it a go once I get past this damn horse racing game. I bought Companions a couple months back but I haven't gotten past the tutorial. Now that's a terrible UI. And honestly, I'm just not a fan of RTS.

I like Ravenmark, and am glad I got it, but I'm not finding it as good as others, I think. I feel like it's got a ton of options that I never even think of using, but I still win the scenarios.

I also like Wesnoth. I can't say I disagree with the complaints--some of those maps really are too damn big--but I like the mechanics, and I spent a lot of good time with it, and didn't even get close to finishing the content. It goes on sale for $0.99 a lot, and at that price, it's a no-brainer.
The topic has been locked.
More
23 Jan 2012 04:15 #113834 by metalface13
I bought Ascendancy also when it was on sale for 99 cents. But like you, I can't make sense of it. There's a help function, but it's not very helpful. I guess I'll wait for Starbase Orion to go on sale before I get a real space 4x game.
More
23 Jan 2012 12:27 #113850 by Matt Thrower

Bullwinkle wrote: I have World at War, but haven't tried it yet.

Ooh, be grateful if you could give it a spin and let me know what you think.
More
23 Jan 2012 14:37 #113861 by Black Barney
Matt, Civ Rev has a GREAT early-game and a decent mid-game but the late game is AWFUL. It just totally falls apart. but I could play the early game over and over for months. It's so much fun.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Matt Thrower
More
23 Jan 2012 14:50 - 23 Jan 2012 14:59 #113864 by Bullwinkle

MattDP wrote: Ooh, be grateful if you could give it a spin and let me know what you think.

Okay, I tried it. It's a scenario-based version of Axis & Allies, basically, but simpler. Three kinds of troops, artillery>tanks>infantry>artillery, built in production centers each turn based on income gained from controlled regions. Combat resolution is mostly hidden (you see troops dying in battle one-by-one but don't see why). You can buy 'strategies' like air raids that give random benefits. Simultaneous turns. Three campaigns as the different powers. It's a grind, much like A&A.

Definitely not a civ-builder. Got it for free some time ago. Wouldn't pay for it, but then I'm not much of an A&A fan.

Black Barney wrote: Matt, Civ Rev has a GREAT early-game and a decent mid-game but the late game is AWFUL. It just totally falls apart. but I could play the early game over and over for months. It's so much fun.

I'd more or less agree with this, if not as enthusiastically. This is largely because the early game is pretty close to an actual game of Civ; the longer it goes, the less similar it becomes.
Last edit: 23 Jan 2012 14:59 by Bullwinkle.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Matt Thrower
More
23 Jan 2012 15:09 #113869 by Black Barney
where's MY thank-you?!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Matt Thrower, QPCloudy
More
23 Jan 2012 15:17 #113870 by Matt Thrower

Black Barney wrote: where's MY thank-you?!

It's in the post. It takes longer to get stuff from the UK to <wherever Black Barney lives> than it does to <wherever Bullwinkle lives> because of <a reason>.

In a vaguely relevant post I get to get a new phone this week. Have decided an iPhone would be sensible thanks mainly to all the money I've already sunk in to app store purchases but not sure which model to get. The 4S is too expensive. The 3GS would save me a fairly substantial £15 each month over the 4, and I'm worried about reception on the latter. I suppose the better camera might be of some use, but is there any other compelling reason to spend the extra money?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney
More
28 Jan 2012 17:21 #114506 by Disgustipater
Hive will be back on iTunes on Feb. 9th, now with online multiplayer.

It'll be free for a week.

boardgamegeek.com/thread/756567/hive-ios-back-9th-feb-2012
More
28 Jan 2012 22:48 - 28 Jan 2012 22:53 #114535 by Grudunza
Not a lot of apps lately that I've bothered to download. A couple of interesting new ones, though...

Triple Town: Barnes mentioned this recently, and it's fantastic. A different kind of match-3 puzzle, where 3 things of one kind turn into something else, which can combine with its own kind of thing to create something better, etc. Very fun and quite challenging. It's "free" but that's deceiving, because it has a limited number of turns to begin with, enough for probably 3-4 games. Then, it's $2 or $3 for unlimited turns. Still worth it, though, IMO.

Fire and Dice: Sort of a mash-up of Yahtzee and Flash Point: Fire Rescue. Pretty cool, but I'm not sure if it'll have a lot of legs after a few games. Also, I kind of wish there was a way to "win" the game, rather than just playing until your town is completely overrun by fire. Just makes the whole thing seem kind of pointless. Or maybe there is some kind of victory threshold, but if so I've never done well enough to see that.

Also, I picked up Greed Corp which is on sale for $.99. I haven't played through a game yet... just the tutorial... but it's looks great and I recall some people here praising it a while back.

Last edit: 28 Jan 2012 22:53 by Grudunza.
More
28 Jan 2012 23:18 #114536 by SaMoKo
There's a bug in Triple Town that basically allows anyone to get unlimited turns. Fuck that though, it's a good game so I threw them some cashmoneys.
More
29 Jan 2012 00:01 #114538 by Black Barney
greed corp is AWFUL. I think I paid 1 dollar for it and feel ripped off.

I'm still hooked on BUG VILLAGE
The following user(s) said Thank You: SaMoKo
More
29 Jan 2012 02:24 #114547 by SaMoKo
The most amazing invention of the iOS is the ability to instill so much anger over a dollar. No other platform does this, and it's beautiful.
More
29 Jan 2012 04:04 #114552 by metalface13
Really? I could care less about a game I paid 99 cents for and never play. The $9.99 I paid for Football Manager 2012 Handheld on the other hand … still at least it was due to having an excess of itunes gift cards from christmas.
More
29 Jan 2012 13:24 #114567 by Bullwinkle

metalface13 wrote: Really? I could care less about a game I paid 99 cents for and never play. The $9.99 I paid for Football Manager 2012 Handheld on the other hand …

Oh? What's wrong with it?
More
29 Jan 2012 16:59 #114587 by metalface13

Bullwinkle wrote:

metalface13 wrote: Really? I could care less about a game I paid 99 cents for and never play. The $9.99 I paid for Football Manager 2012 Handheld on the other hand …

Oh? What's wrong with it?

Well, I've only played 2.5 seasons so far, all with different teams. Matches seem completely arbitrary. Away games are hard enough, but when you lose at home to a bottom table team? That's just kind of silly. Possible. But silly. It wouldn't be as bad if you got some more feedback on what is going wrong.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bullwinkle
Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.328 seconds