October 09, 2023
2514 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2712 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What VIDEO GAME(s) have you been playing?

More
14 Feb 2019 08:48 #292248 by hotseatgames
Sliding down a giant hill in Apex is infinitely satisfying, like jumping through windows in PUBG.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Vysetron

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Feb 2019 08:52 #292250 by Black Barney
Ive lost all my Black Ops IV buddies to Apex or they’ve gone back to Overwatch. Timing is good cuz I feel like watching some TV series for now before I get back to RDR2

More
14 Feb 2019 09:37 #292259 by Jexik
Overwatch has a way of getting people to come back for those sweet limited time skins.

More
14 Feb 2019 09:44 #292260 by BaronDonut
For those Hollow Knight Knuts among us, GOOD NEWS WE'RE GETTING A SEQUEL: kotaku.com/hollow-knight-is-getting-a-full-sequel-1832616140
The following user(s) said Thank You: Colorcrayons

More
14 Feb 2019 10:20 #292264 by Gary Sax
HELL YEAH. I didn't 100% that game last year but I finished *almost* everything.

More
14 Feb 2019 11:24 #292268 by lj1983

lj1983 wrote: Any game that gets delayed as many times as Crackdown3 has....I'm skeptical that it'll be great. I'm hoping decent to good

well, decent to good is about what it looks like. Still, gamepass means no problem to try it out and I'll have fun with it.

More
14 Feb 2019 11:41 - 14 Feb 2019 11:43 #292271 by Michael Barnes
Yeah, I’m thinking Battle royale isn’t my genre. I don’t get it.

I was talking to another dad at a birthday party Saturday and we got on about Unreal Tournament. Why the hell hasn’t someone brought that back.

Or for that matter why hasn’t the same team that did DOOM but put on an update of Quake.

At that same party, the kids were playing Dragon Ball Fighter Z- birthday boy is a huge shonen nut, we got him some One Piece books. Anyway. Holy shit that game is amazing. I didn’t really even look at it before despite great reviews and the fact that it’s Arc System Works, who outside of Capcon makes the best fighting games. And I have never been remotely interested in Dragon Ball Z and can’t tell the characters apart (I know Vest Man, Vest Man Jr., Body Armor Dude with Black Hair, Body Armor Dude with Blonde Hair, The Green Pickle, and Mewtwo).

But goddamighty, the fighting is EXCELLENT and it is the best looking fighting game I think I’ve ever seen, nostalgia for classic 2D stuff notwithstanding. Not only does it look just like the anime, they’ve also put in cuts during some of the moves that make it flow just like the show.and of course it is all hyper-exaggerated and extra pretty much 100 percent of the time.

What I really like is that the combos and moves are very accessible so it doesn’t feel too far off from something like Pokken Tournament, there is plenty of technical depth. Lots of button only combos, lots of quarter rolls. There is also a simplified control scheme that makes it easier to play with Joy Cons. And the way counters and reversals work is just awesome, going back that sense of flow. It has that feeling that Guilty Gear (my second favorite fighting franchise) and Blazblue have, but without those game’s somewhat bewildering complexity.

It’s 3 on 3 so if you like King of Fighters, Tekken Tag, or MvC it has some of those switch up shenanigans.

So I picked it up on Switch, can’t wait to dig into it more.
Last edit: 14 Feb 2019 11:43 by Michael Barnes.

More
14 Feb 2019 12:16 #292278 by hotseatgames
Quake was resurrected as Quake Champions, which is basically Team DM and FFA, but with heroes. There is a mode that turns off the powers and essentially turns it into Q3A. Unfortunately there is no offline mode. It's free to play, PC only I think.

Unreal Tournament was being "community developed", but I think Epic canceled work on it since Fortnite is the biggest thing ever. You can still download the work in progress through their launcher on PC. It was coming along pretty well.

More
14 Feb 2019 13:31 #292289 by Gary Sax
If you like everything about Apex Legends save the battle royale boredom then just fire up Titanfall 2 for an even better game with mechs. It is still the best shooter of the last 10 years for me. Maybe greatest of all time.

More
14 Feb 2019 17:06 - 14 Feb 2019 17:08 #292308 by lj1983
Titanfall 2 is great. I think I liked the gunplay alittle better in Titanfall 1. The option for Frontier Defense and the different Titans pushes TF2 over TF1 for me. I love me some frontier defense. Of course I love Halo5's Warzone firefight mode too.
Last edit: 14 Feb 2019 17:08 by lj1983.

More
14 Feb 2019 21:03 #292316 by san il defanso
Unreal Tournament is my favorite shooter of all time. It's like the platonic ideal for how I play games, which is to run around and shoot things with awesome guns. I would absolutely play a redo of that game.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb

More
20 Feb 2019 12:51 #292742 by lj1983
Crackdown 3 is....ok. Separate it from the long dev cycle, the years of MS hype videos that don't match what we got...and you get a better Crackdown 1. The act of jumping around and collecting orbs is as addicting as ever. there are small additions, like melee combat being much more satisfying and additional movement options to go with the super jumps. More weapons, more mini-bosses.

so yeah, it is a better game that Crackdown. is it anything new....not really. There are some steps-back from the older games. only 2 player co-op is glaring. the multiplayer 'combat' is a joke. In general 3rd person platforming is hard to do in any game...unless the controls are super tight. and 3D Mario this is not.

is it a large tent-pole game to stand beside things like Halo5/6, Gears or Forza? no. would I pay $60 to jump around and kick some thugs? no. I'm disappointed because the game could have been something special. I'm happy because its more Crackdown, which I love.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, hotseatgames

More
22 Feb 2019 23:53 #292936 by hotseatgames
Still hitting Apex Legends pretty hard. I like that game a lot. My main is Bloodhound, secondary is Bangalore.

Also chipping away at Battletech. Did two missions tonight... neither went well. My favorite MechWarrior got blown the fuck up tonight. :\ RIP Glitch.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Vysetron

More
23 Feb 2019 00:56 #292937 by Gary Sax
Started playing astroneer this evening. A lot of fun. It needs to be slightly clearer in terms of reminding you that you won't get to certain tech levels on some planets.

More
23 Feb 2019 10:11 #292939 by Vysetron

hotseatgames wrote: Still hitting Apex Legends pretty hard. I like that game a lot. My main is Bloodhound, secondary is Bangalore.

Apex has me. It's the battle royale game I didn't know I wanted. The pacing is just perfect (which is to say fast) and the matches are simultaneously low stress to lose and super satisfying to win.

Bloodhound is my best as well, then Lifeline because she's busted good and I love combat medics, then Gibraltar and Mirage. I wish I could get good at Pathfinder but I don't really want to put the time in. I think a tier list would look something like this:

S TIER: Lifeline, Wraith
A TIER: Bloodhound, Bangalore, Pathfinder
B TIER: Gibraltar, Mirage
C TIER: Caustic

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.737 seconds