October 09, 2023
2518 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2719 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What KICKSTARTER(S) are you BACKING and WHY?

More
08 Mar 2022 16:18 #331475 by Msample

Sagrilarus wrote:
Unfortunately, I think the result will be a list of games that we've all mostly sold or traded away. One of my buds mentioned SpaceCorp which was my copy and it's gone. He really liked it and we never got to do the full soup-to-nuts three part fully play that the game is set up for. So we would need to get a copy back for that one. I fear 51st State is the same way. I haven't asked Stephen if he still has it. It's been years.

If you do get hold of it again, try to use the expansion if someone has it. It really opens things up with many different asymmetric corporations play that not only play differently on their own, but create different game states depending on which ones are in play at the same time.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sagrilarus, jpat

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Mar 2022 08:05 #331481 by Legomancer
Very tempted by Small City from Alban Viard, though I can't bring myself to pull the trigger. It's $87 shipped, which is a lot.

I really like his Tramways, though no one else in my group does. Clinic was a misfire for me. I'm a sucker for a city builder but I just don't know. Clinic, when I backed it, was $70 shipped and is now at MiniMart for $60, so I can probably get it later for a wee bit cheaper. Read the rules last night and it seems fine... It calls to me, but do I resist?

More
09 Mar 2022 11:10 #331490 by Virabhadra
"Seems fine" is the enemy of shelf space.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead, dysjunct, jpat, Frohike, n815e

More
09 Mar 2022 12:22 #331495 by Shellhead
Seems fine = weak seven.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rliyen, dysjunct, Virabhadra

More
10 Mar 2022 09:34 #331508 by Legomancer
Yeah, I passed on it.

More
11 Mar 2022 20:13 - 11 Mar 2022 20:26 #331538 by charlest
Frosthaven, the sequel to Gloomhaven which is fulfilling on its Kickstarter later this year, just announced that the MSRP of $160 is now being bumped to $250. Wow.

Seems like it's much bigger than Gloomhaven in terms of content and components.

People thought organizing and setting up Gloomhaven was rough...
Last edit: 11 Mar 2022 20:26 by charlest.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Msample, sornars, n815e

More
11 Mar 2022 20:37 #331539 by Sagrilarus
Good game for a friend to buy.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Msample, mezike, Gregarius, Ah_Pook, n815e

More
11 Mar 2022 21:59 #331540 by Msample
I foresee many pledges getting flipped considering the MSRP is double the KS buy in.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Jackwraith, Ah_Pook

More
13 Mar 2022 09:12 - 13 Mar 2022 09:12 #331562 by Ah_Pook
Did any of y'all go in on Solforge Fusion? I've been watching some Team Covenant streams of it here lately, and my friend is one of the main ppl behind it and keeps showing me cool tech stuff they're doing. I didn't end up backing it because he's going to have a giant pile of it and also he is literally the only person I know who would ever play it with me :laugh:

Anyway, it's a dueling card where each pack comes with 2 procedurally generated half decks. You can mash any two half decks together to play with, so it has some customization options or straight Keyforge pick up and play if you don't wanna mess with choosing decks. Anyway, if you like that kinda thing check it out. It's super fun! I might not be the most objective person about it ;)
Last edit: 13 Mar 2022 09:12 by Ah_Pook.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, sornars, DarthJoJo, Kmann

More
16 Mar 2022 15:42 - 16 Mar 2022 16:39 #331662 by southernman
Well I have just had to un-back a Kickstarter that was going to deliver to me this month - Machina Arcana 3rd Ed.
Basically the creator was meant to ship all of the UK pledges to a UK distribution centre, as set out in the project page, so he could pay the relevant VAT and customs directly to the UK govt but for whatever reason (bad advice, couldn't be bothered, trying to save himself money, ...) he didn't and sent all the UK pledges to the main European distribution centre - even though the bloody container ship stopped at a UK port first !!
Anyway, this meant he had to use our money to pay the EU VAT on our games (that's what VAT is, you pay it where it enters the country) and then either was told incorrectly or just didn't care and just arranged to ship them from Germany to the UK, this would then trigger UK customs and we would have to pay the UK VAT (20%) and a handling fee to have our games released and finally delivered. He initially offered a 90% refund but when we politely pointed out to him that he has brand new games in his EU warehouse with EU VAT already paid that he could sell for whatever price he, to his credit, changed that to 100% - and I've had to take him up on it as $160 for just one game and a couple of smaller expansions was just not justifiable for me, it looks a great game but sense comes first.
I've got plenty of games to play, and more to arrive this year, and it'll be available on the secondary market in a couple of years so not really an issue ... just a disappointing way for a well-run project to finish.

Update: The creator has posted a pretty honest and fair statement, he has behaved very well during the whole campaign so I'm happy to take his word that he was given a lot of incorrect advice, therefore I have struck out suggestions he may have just not cared or was trying to save himself money - you have to choose when you believe people (and when you don't).
Last edit: 16 Mar 2022 16:39 by southernman.
The following user(s) said Thank You: n815e

More
16 Mar 2022 16:04 #331663 by Msample
Yet another example illustrating that just because you can design a game doesn't mean you know how to fulfill one.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jackwraith, hotseatgames, n815e

More
17 Mar 2022 12:37 #331683 by hotseatgames
Kevin Wilson has designed an Escape from New York game. Not sure when it will be crowdfunded, but consider me curious.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead, southernman, Dr. Mabuse, Jackwraith

More
17 Mar 2022 13:20 #331685 by Shellhead

hotseatgames wrote: Kevin Wilson has designed an Escape from New York game. Not sure when it will be crowdfunded, but consider me curious.

I played an Escape from New York board game back in 1982. Designed by TSR, believe it or not. I vaguely recall that there was roll-and-move, equipment cards, and leader-bashing.

More
17 Mar 2022 14:02 #331687 by Jackwraith

hotseatgames wrote: Kevin Wilson has designed an Escape from New York game. Not sure when it will be crowdfunded, but consider me curious.

Wow. That's the most appealing game concept I've heard in the past couple years.

"I heard you were dead."
The following user(s) said Thank You: Msample

More
17 Mar 2022 14:41 #331690 by Msample
If it has the same period/theme flavor as BIG TROUBLE IN LITTLE CHINA that could be pretty cool.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jackwraith

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.396 seconds