October 09, 2023
2518 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2720 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What MOVIE(s) have you been....seeing? watching?

More
17 Mar 2021 22:43 #320771 by jason10mm
Galaxy of Horror on amazon prime. This is a sci-fi anthology movie very reminiscent of Heavy Metal, or maybe a live action version of that Love+Robots flick from netflix a few years back. Most are european i think, the kind of thing you find playing at 2 am in a back room at a con. Some are pretty good Black Mirror type shorts, some are just bizarre "WTF did i just watch?", and others must be proof of concepts because they make no sense but are still kinda cool.

Amazon has a lot of this kind of stuff, or at least has a better system for offering it up once you start digging down the rabbit hole of pseudo indie genre anthology films.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Disgustipater

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Mar 2021 22:58 #320772 by charlest
The Sound of Metal is a really good film. Tragic at times but full of wonderful small moments too.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead

More
17 Mar 2021 23:02 #320773 by Shellhead
I realize that it seems utterly insane to confuse Ed Harris and Ed Wood. In my defense, I only comment in this thread on roughly half the movies I see, so the association is only half as bad as it seems.

More
17 Mar 2021 23:06 #320774 by Shellhead
I have had my eye on The Sound of Metal for a while now, but it's not the right time for me. For budgetary reasons, I am currently driving a car that accelerates loudly. So loud that I might eventually suffer hearing loss if it continue to get worse. My girlfriend should file bankruptcy to get out from under some serious medical debt, but she is too proud so I am helping her for now. If I can keep driving my car for another year, I will.

More
17 Mar 2021 23:18 #320777 by Kmann
I marathoned all four hours of the Snyder cut it in one giant session like a gawdamned hero/lunatic.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb

More
18 Mar 2021 07:36 #320785 by jason10mm

Kmann wrote: I marathoned all four hours of the Snyder cut it in one giant session like a gawdamned hero/lunatic.

......and?

Does it redeem the snyderverse (although the plot summaries for JL2 and 3 seemed...sketch TBH) or was Joss really just putting lipstick on a pig?

I have low confidence that J.J. Abrams will be able to produce a string of DC films I actually enjoy but i hope the execs at least let him run the distance.

More
18 Mar 2021 17:41 #320831 by Kmann

jason10mm wrote: [quote="......and?

Some bits are cool, some bits are boring, it averages out to okay. It's better than I expected. But I expected the absolute worst as I did not like Superman or Batman v Superman at all. I also haven't seen Whedon's Justice League so have no basis for comparison.

But it's far too long, obviously. There's so much and it's full Snyder so it can feel never-ending. That said, I do admire how absolutely bonkers the whole idea of it is. Four hours! That is patently ridiculous.

If it'd been three hours I'd like it less - although 'like' is a bit strong for how I feel about it. It's okay. You could cut so much and not miss a damn thing but I'm glad he didn't. There's something incredibly funny about it being four hours that I can get behind.

I also think if you watch it and break it up into viewing chunks it will absolutely dilute the experience a great deal. I believe you really need to go all in and embrace the madness of the damn thing. It's like the 'Achievement Unlocked' of movies. So I'm coming at it through that lens as opposed to 'movie = good/bad'.

I'm glad I watched it but I won't be watching it again.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb, ChristopherMD, jpat, jason10mm, sornars, Nodens, DarthJoJo

More
19 Mar 2021 10:04 #320862 by Michael Barnes
I watched about 90 minutes of JL but that is enough for me to rate it as one of the absolute worst films I’ve ever seen. I don’t know if I’ve ever seen a more masturbatory, arrogant, selfish, idiotic, pretentious, suffocating, directionless and utterly empty movie in my life.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead, ChristopherMD, jpat

More
19 Mar 2021 10:31 #320865 by Shellhead
For years, I have been speculating that Zach Snyder keeps bungling DC movies because he is a sociopath who is incapable of comprehending heroism. According to IMDB, Snyder's next movie will be The Fountainhead, based on Ayn Rand's novel about a young architect "battling for his own artistic integrity." In my experience, the Venn diagram for libertarians and sociopaths is nearly a perfect circle.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries

More
19 Mar 2021 11:31 #320867 by jason10mm

Shellhead wrote: In my experience, the Venn diagram for libertarians and sociopaths is nearly a perfect circle.

I'd argue thats true for virtually every ideology, except maybe Buddism or something like that. Any system with defined rules and a power structure is easily manipulated by a sociopath.

I'd further argue that sociopaths are a valuable component of society, particularly those under external stress, because when properly motivated and directed they are capable of feats average humans can't do (or at least recover from and perform again). The problem comes when there are no dangerous but necessary jobs for those people and they get idle hands and turn on the rest of us.

But if we ever want to mine asteroids or colonize planets, sociopaths are a good first wave to send (Peter Watts explored this wonderfully in Blindsight).

More
19 Mar 2021 12:12 #320871 by Not Sure
Colonizing planets implies you need at least two people there, so I'm thinking sociopaths aren't such a great idea.

I mean, I'm totally on board with sending all our sociopaths to Mars, but not because I think it will be a smashing success.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead, jay718, Jackwraith, jason10mm

More
19 Mar 2021 16:54 #320896 by jason10mm
Well, someone has to get there first and set up the air, water, fuel, and shelter systems. HIGHLY likely those cats ain't coming back. Properly incentivized, that kind of task is performed well by sociopaths, as is middle management of a shipload (say that three times fast) of squabbling colonists.

More
19 Mar 2021 19:38 #320907 by jeb
what in the fuck is being talked about in here?
The following user(s) said Thank You: jay718, ChristopherMD, Cranberries, jason10mm

More
20 Mar 2021 15:25 #320934 by Cranberries

Shellhead wrote: I have had my eye on The Sound of Metal for a while now, but it's not the right time for me. For budgetary reasons, I am currently driving a car that accelerates loudly. So loud that I might eventually suffer hearing loss if it continue to get worse. My girlfriend should file bankruptcy to get out from under some serious medical debt, but she is too proud so I am helping her for now. If I can keep driving my car for another year, I will.

I realize that not every honest expression of worry is asking for a solution, but it seems like weak earplugs would bring down the decibels yet still allow you to hear traffic noises. Also, muffler tape is $11. I will Venmo you ten dollars if you need it, strictly for my own peace of mind. I have some hearing loss in my right ear and mild tinnitus because guns and firecrackers, and would like to spare the rising generation if possible. I will also mail you a few sets of earplugs.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead

More
20 Mar 2021 15:29 #320935 by Cranberries

jason10mm wrote:

Shellhead wrote:
But if we ever want to mine asteroids or colonize planets, sociopaths are a good first wave to send (Peter Watts explored this wonderfully in Blindsight).

Oh man, that book hurt me, in a good way. And the author has it for free on his site in multiple formats:

www.rifters.com/real/Blindsight.htm

The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb, jason10mm

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 1.300 seconds