October 09, 2023
2518 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2720 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What MUSIC are you listening to?

More
05 Jan 2022 12:49 #329375 by Nodens
I have spent too much time solving other peoples' data problems to pay for streaming.
I know I am a dinosaur. But I won't accept that I would be depending on an existing internet connection to listen to something I paid for.
Another huge problem (only for me, I am aware) is that there is a possible future in which artists decide they don't want an early album around anymore, or say lyrics containing certain words are outlawed and removed from all clouds, or changed in Lucasification, if you will.
I have no way of knowing any song will still be there tommorrow, and be the same.
But that's fine, really. For my kids, if it's not on Spotify, it doesn't exist. I listen to a lot of electronic music mixes. If I want a specific track, they usually come as mp3s or on vinyl from bandcamp.
The following user(s) said Thank You: san il defanso, sornars

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Jan 2022 15:44 #329400 by n815e
I’ve been into Too Many Zooz lately.

Last year I reinvigorated my music listening from cell phone and earbuds by buying some speakers, an amp and a streamer.
I really enjoy having a huge library through Tidal to just play and explore. This past weekend we packed up our cds for donation since we haven’t used them in years.

While I embrace music streaming, I’m the complete opposite when it comes to movies. I’m still one of the few that buys discs and lament the rapidly declining physical movie media industry in favor of expensive and limited streaming services.
The following user(s) said Thank You: sornars

More
05 Jan 2022 16:50 #329410 by san il defanso
Yeah, I think most people have some little spot where they've rejected modern convenience for some little personal principle. Not streaming music is mine I guess.

We were traveling a lot this summer, and aside from audiobooks our family listened to lots of musicals. We especially listened to the soundtracks for The Music Man, My Fair Lady, Fiddler on the Roof, and Wicked. When it's just my wife and I there's a lot of Little Shop of Horrors (my personal favorite) and Hamilton. My wife and I were both theater types in HS and college, and we actually started dating when we were cast as a couple in a play. So digging into musical theater has been fun, and our boys have responded really well. They've ever taken to watching old movie musicals with us, so that's been pretty special.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Nodens, n815e, Dive-Dive-Dive!

More
05 Jan 2022 17:35 #329416 by Shellhead
I have gone through entire phases of music ownership. As a pre-teen, I bought vinyl singles. In my teens, I traded away my singles and bought vinyl albums. In college, I started buying cassettes (not 8-track). When I made the big move to Minnesota, I sold off all my vinyl because it seemed to fragile to survive the move. That was probably a good choice, because I moved six more times before becoming a homeowner. After 1991, I was only buying CDs. I lost some enthusiasm for CDs when my entire collection got stolen by burglars in 1997, but did replace half of them with some of the insurance money. I haven't had a vehicle with a tapedeck since 2010, so my cassettes have grown dusty. In the early 2000s, I switched to buying digital downloads of songs and albums.

For a long time, I resisted the temptation to illegally download music, but my appetite for music became overwhelming once I started seriously exploring YouTube. A friend showed me Audacity, and now I use that to record all the music I want online... unless it's from an active band, in which case I buy that music from Bandcamp or else Amazon.

I burn lots of mixes with a CD burner hooked up to my computer, and listen to them often during my lengthy daily commute. I burn new mixes whenever I have sufficient new favorite music to fill a disc, and I burn slow mixes at the start of every winter to help endure the painfully slow and long commutes when the roads are bad. I have also burned special mixes for most of my favorite board games, with the quantity of discs based on the typical play length of the game. I have a decent bookshelf stereo set up in my basement gaming room, but sometimes I wish there was a decent way to randomly play back a much longer playlist. There are speaker thingies that take USB, but they apparently can only play back music in the exact order the music is loaded on the USB.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rliyen, san il defanso, n815e

More
05 Jan 2022 21:37 #329427 by jason10mm
I listen to siriusxm a lot. I find that I like the djs as it at least gives me the illusion of a human chosen playlist with some personality.

Even those guys are pretty formulaic and limited, but with so many channels to chose from I can forgive hair nation, ozzys boneyard, turbo, and the like for mostly sticking to the hits. The modern stuff mostly sucks but I'm not sure if that is just the selection versus a frightful state of modern metal and rock minus Scandinavian death metal.

More
14 Jan 2022 13:57 #329796 by Shellhead
The following user(s) said Thank You: san il defanso, Jexik, fightcitymayor, Nodens

More
14 Jan 2022 16:25 #329810 by fightcitymayor

Shellhead wrote: Useful:
www.mcsweeneys.net/articles/what-your-fa...Vr62uOlDGVUSBaMgli1k

I LOL'd more than once. Like "heard you laughing from the next room" loud. That stuff hit WAY too close to home.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries

More
14 Jan 2022 17:40 #329815 by RobertB

fightcitymayor wrote:

I LOL'd more than once. Like "heard you laughing from the next room" loud. That stuff hit WAY too close to home.

No lie. All right-thinking people love The Pixies.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jackwraith

More
14 Jan 2022 19:08 - 14 Jan 2022 19:29 #329817 by Jexik
I remember shoveling snow in March and listening to this song... before I had the first manic episode mentioned in the other thread.

My friend told me their first album was better. Sample song from said album.

Right now though, my favorite song from Encanto is:

Last edit: 14 Jan 2022 19:29 by Jexik.

More
14 Jan 2022 19:55 #329819 by Sagrilarus
Encanto has a couple of killer tunes. Good choice.

For some unknown reason I'm listening to all the Rush albums, in order, in the car whenever I drive somewhere.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries, Jexik

More
14 Jan 2022 21:17 #329820 by dysjunct

Sagrilarus wrote: Encanto has a couple of killer tunes. Good choice.

For some unknown reason I'm listening to all the Rush albums, in order, in the car whenever I drive somewhere.

www.mcsweeneys.net/articles/an-faq-about...ol-the-music-of-rush

More
15 Jan 2022 03:20 - 15 Jan 2022 03:23 #329822 by san il defanso

As a hopeless dad rock aficionado, I approve this.

dysjunct wrote:

Sagrilarus wrote: Encanto has a couple of killer tunes. Good choice.

www.mcsweeneys.net/articles/an-faq-about...ol-the-music-of-rush

This is even funnier.
Last edit: 15 Jan 2022 03:23 by san il defanso.

More
16 Jan 2022 21:40 #329854 by Sagrilarus
Rush seems to inspire either great reverence, or great mockery. At the time I didn’t much listen to them so I somehow fell into the middle. Now I’m just figuring I’d give them a listen between audiobooks and they’re a mix. There’s some good stuff in there but there’s a lot of forgettable as well.

More
16 Jan 2022 22:39 - 16 Jan 2022 22:43 #329855 by Ancient_of_MuMu
I am really obsessed with the concept album De Pelicula by Liminanas and Garnier and think it is probably the best album in many, many years. It is a fictional soundtrack to a non-existent movie about lovers on the run and it is sort of an upbeat 90s shoe-gazer wall of sound over a big beat dance beat with a narrator explaining the plot in French.

No one else seems to see its brilliance but you never know, someone else here might see what I do in this incredible album.

Full album on youTube
Last edit: 16 Jan 2022 22:43 by Ancient_of_MuMu.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nodens

More
17 Jan 2022 14:12 #329858 by fightcitymayor

Sagrilarus wrote: Rush seems to inspire either great reverence, or great mockery. At the time I didn’t much listen to them so I somehow fell into the middle. Now I’m just figuring I’d give them a listen between audiobooks and they’re a mix. There’s some good stuff in there but there’s a lot of forgettable as well.

As a devotee, I'm consistently surprised people want to insult one of the nicest (hey, they're Canadian) bands to ever have a 40+ year career. And the predictable trope of labeling them some weirdo Ayn Rand incel band was never accurate to begin with, and became markedly less accurate as the years went by, all you had to do was listen to the music. If anything you could dismiss them for spending 30+ years writing what could honestly be called "adult contemporary" music, rather than sticking with the early proggy 70's space-rock that got them on the map.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.375 seconds