October 09, 2023
2518 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2717 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What MUSIC are you listening to?

More
02 Feb 2022 01:41 #330344 by san il defanso
I think if the only rock albums I had were Who's Next and Quadrophenia, I could still be happy. The Who for me is The Rock Band, the ur example.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Feb 2022 11:07 #330353 by Not Sure
Fair, although I'd seriously consider trading Who's Next for the extended Live at Leeds if I only got two.

More
02 Feb 2022 11:58 #330355 by san il defanso
Live at Leeds might be the hardest rocking live album ever. I wouldn’t fault you at all, though I would have to keep Who’s Next.

I actually really like The Who Sell Out too.

More
02 Feb 2022 13:08 #330356 by Shellhead
I was a big fan of The Who when I was in high school and college. While in college, I managed to see a midnight screening of The Kids Are Alright, which was an odd mixture of concert footage, interviews, and even comedy sketches. Steve Martin even had a cameo appearance. At the time, I was delighted to see this. Last year, I went through phase where I was watching a lot of music documentaries on Amazon Prime, and this came up in my queue. This time, I was disappointed. The comedy was lame physical gags and half of the musical performances were an unpleasant combination of loud and bad. I still like most of their hits, but don't listen to them often.

More
02 Feb 2022 21:16 #330368 by Sagrilarus
The only album from that era that I still listen to regularly is Boston’s first.

More
12 Feb 2022 01:04 - 12 Feb 2022 01:05 #330709 by san il defanso
Things may be bad out there, but at least there's a new Spoon album out this week.

Out of their 10 albums, I think you could make an argument for maybe 9 of them being their best one. The new one fits right into that motif.

Last edit: 12 Feb 2022 01:05 by san il defanso.
The following user(s) said Thank You: BillyBobThwarton

More
14 Feb 2022 19:17 #330766 by BillyBobThwarton
I’m a casual Spoon fan, and I struggle to identify songs to albums unless it’s from Girls Can Tell. I am curious to hear which you consider to be the bad one.

More
14 Feb 2022 22:33 #330774 by san il defanso
I don’t know anyone who will go to bat for their first album, Telephono. Of the eight albums I’m really familiar with (everything since Girls Can Tell) I think I’ve heard someone make an argument for every one of those albums as their best.

The correct answer is Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga.

More
04 Mar 2022 19:12 #331350 by Ah_Pook
Sometimes you gotta rock some Dead Infection u know

More
05 Mar 2022 19:00 - 05 Mar 2022 19:03 #331400 by mc
Replied by mc on topic What MUSIC are you listening to?
I doubt it will mean too much to anyone here but I've been thrashing Citizen Fish recently, I have most of their albums on vinyl but stumped up for all of them on bandcamp for ease's sake.

They were essentially my gateway into the punk scene; I was already listening to the usual early-mid 90s suspects, but a mate put me onto them and opened the door to a world of DIY and living room shows and so on. They weren't local at all - and in fact when they came here at that time, captured here in a city alternative record store, it was going to be their only visit:

but it had a huge impact on me and my life, really, looking back. Anyone can do it, you don't need anyone else, that whole ethos. Loved it instantly and still do.

Thing is, even though I've retained my love of citizen fish for 25 or more years, and yeah there is some nostalgia there, but it has really struck me just how immensely talented and interesting they are/were - especially the first four albums (1990-95 or so). They do a ska punk thing, but, it's almost proggish (booooo, devil fingers) in approach. There is basically nobody else like them, before or since - interesting structures, unusual chords, and very often no choruses, because they are essentially really insightful and clever poems set against this backdrop of raggedy punk offbeats. Always so tight, too. It's interesting to me that they could be so innovative with a musical form that is often very limited (think, okay, how do we do this song? I know, horn line, ska verse, punk chorus, reggae break, make it about beer or your girlfriend, wear a hawaian shirt, rake it in!), but be innovative before it really took off in the rest of the 90s, and there is just no comparison to be made almost anywhere in terms of what they did since. Nobody took that mantle at all, really - one or two exceptions of course but they still pale in comparison to what CF did - instead, what followed is largely paint by numbers. And of course, they never sold out, etc etc - it's all been done by themselves with that DIY ethic. So great.

If anyone's checking it out - first 4 albums - Free Souls in a Trapped environment, Wider than a Postcard, Flinch, Millennia Madness. Really good stuff.
Last edit: 05 Mar 2022 19:03 by mc.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nodens, Virabhadra

More
05 Mar 2022 22:02 #331401 by Michael Barnes
I saw them in 1993! It was awesome, I’m a big Subhumans fan (and Culture Shock) so I was pretty stoked…but during the show, I started to notice my chest was really, really itchy. By the time the show ended, I was itching all over. In the car on the way home I noticed I was broken out EVERYWHERE. I was 18…and had fucking chicken pox. That started flaring up at Citizen Fish! LOL
The following user(s) said Thank You: mc, Virabhadra

More
06 Mar 2022 01:48 - 06 Mar 2022 01:51 #331405 by mc
Replied by mc on topic What MUSIC are you listening to?
Unreal!

(I also had chicken pox in 1993, but i don't know where i got mine lol ).

I also saw them again in the UK around '01 or so.

My progression in terms of my level of enjoyment with them went - Citizen Fish -> Culture Shock (discovering that was awesome! those 3 albums are great too) -> Subhumans (so great, particularly, again, that kind of later stuff where they were doing some interesting things - far out, that "Worlds Apart" track (not the album, although, hell, 1 track for like 20 minutes, what is this pink floyd?) could be Citizen Fish, easily, love it). But I've come full circle round to the beginning again with Citizen Fish, and, yeah, that block of albums there, I don't think anyone has come anywhere near them in the genre in terms of what they were doing. The later stuff is fine but a bit disappointing and more straight by comparison - I think that old thing of once they started putting horns and stuff in it actually limited things a bit. Anyway.

It kind of summed up a lot for me actually several years later when I was trying to chase down the Culture Shock albums that to get hold of them I just emailed the bluurg site and had a nice exchange with dick lucas the singer, and he ended up burning them onto cds for me as well.

Glad someone knew what I was talking about haha.
Last edit: 06 Mar 2022 01:51 by mc.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Virabhadra

More
06 Mar 2022 10:49 #331417 by Michael Barnes
Oh yeah man, between Citizen Fish and Operation Ivy that whole genre is pretty much sewn up as far as I’m concerned.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mc

More
06 Mar 2022 12:41 #331421 by Virabhadra
I ALSO had chickenpox 1993. Except I was like 7, and the only CD I "owned" at that time was my dad's copy of Gin Blossoms' 'New Miserable Experience'.

(Still a great album, though.)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Michael Barnes, mc

More
08 Mar 2022 18:16 #331479 by Brewmiester
The following user(s) said Thank You: mezike, Nodens

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.244 seconds