October 09, 2023
2522 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2723 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

Bugs Reporting and Suggestions

More
01 Dec 2020 06:31 #316732 by southernman

Gary Sax wrote: I'm still having this thing where I'm dumped to a random page between 1-4 when I go to recent topics. I haven't had any tabs open when it happens.

Me too.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Dec 2020 08:32 #316733 by ChristopherMD
I figured out it always puts me at the previous page as if I'd pressed Prev instead of Recent Topics. Changed my bookmark to be therewillbe.games/forum/recent?start=0 so that link at least always takes me to page 1. Would probably fix the issue if the Recent Topics link was that too.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
01 Dec 2020 09:12 #316735 by dysjunct

Disgustipater wrote: On a separate note, the site logs me out each day. I can’t be sure, but it feels like if I visit the site on my phone, I have to log back in on my PC when I get home, as well as my iPad, and then the following day I have to log back in on my phone, repeat. But it might just be the timing as my routine is pretty similar each day.

I have this too. I suspect there might be some setting capping the number of active logins at two. If I go through a phase where I only access through phone or tablet, then no problem. If I then go on my desktop then one of the others gets logged out.

More
01 Dec 2020 10:34 - 01 Dec 2020 10:44 #316737 by ubarose
Which page recent topics takes you to, and whether or not you stay logged in is controlled by your cookies stored in your browser. If your browser is set to clear your history/files/cache when it is shut down , then all your cookies are cleared when you close your browser. If it isn't then, it will save your cookies even if you shut down your browser. If your browser is set to clear your history/files/cache after a certain length of time, it will clear out your cookies after that length of time, even if you don't shut down your browser.

Login: You are logged out of the site after 200 minutes of inactivity. If your cookies haven't been cleared, and the remember me box has been checked, when a page loads, it should automatically log you back in, even if you have navigated away from the page and then returned, or shut down your browser or your device. If your cookies have been cleared, you will find that you are logged out. Additionally your login cookie can expire, or become invalid in certain scenarios (combination of time passed and number of devices you have logged into in the interim).

Recent Topics: The cookie holds the last page that you were reading. The reason for this is that if you are reading a topic that's not on the first page and close that topic, you return to the page that you were on. You can image that it would be very annoying if you were trying to catch up on all the topics that are on the back pages to be booted all the way to the first page after reading each post. To achieve this, the last page you were on is held in your cookies until you go to another page. So if you, for example, where reading page 4, and then closed your browser tab or window, or navigated away from the site, or even shut down your browser/device but your cookies weren't cleared, and then returned to the site, and went to recent topics, you will be shown page 4 because that's the page that was stored in your cookies. If your cookies were cleared in the interim, it will take you to the first page.

The code hasn't changed recently. Code doesn't wear out like a washing machine, or change spontaneously. What does change are people's habits, browsers, settings, and devices. I suspect that folks are reading the site on several different devices, and the clear browser cookies are set differently on each. Most phone browsers are set, by default, to clear your cookies when the browser is closed or the phone is shut down. Most desktops/laptops are set by default to hold your cookies for a day or a week. However, many workplaces set the browser on your desktop so it clears its cache whenever it is shutdown. So it seems like all this is very random, but its just that you have different cookies on different devices, and they are being cleared on different schedules. So you are reading page 4 on your laptop, switch to your phone which takes you to page 1. But when you go back to your laptop, which logs you back in automatically, it brings up page 4. But then, when you go to your work desktop, which was set to clear your cookies whenever you shut down, and which you shutdown/or restarted the night before when you left work, now you are logged out entirely.
Last edit: 01 Dec 2020 10:44 by ubarose.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sacco

More
01 Dec 2020 10:46 - 01 Dec 2020 10:50 #316739 by charlest

ubarose wrote: Recent Topics: The cookie holds the last page that you were reading. The reason for this is that if you are reading a topic that's not on the first page and close that topic, you return to the page that you were on. You can image that it would be very annoying if you were trying to catch up on all the topics that are on the back pages to be booted all the way to the first page after reading each post. To achieve this, the last page you were on is held in your cookies until you go to another page. So if you, for example, where reading page 4, and then closed your browser tab or window, or navigated away from the site, or even shut down your browser/device but your cookies weren't cleared, and then returned to the site, and went to recent topics, you will be shown page 4 because that's the page that was stored in your cookies. If your cookies were cleared in the interim, it will take you to the first page.

Thanks for taking the time to offer a lengthy explanation Uba, but this simply isn't working correctly now. It used to for me, but recently it seems to be bugged.

I don't think I've ever clicked the 2nd or 3rd page on the forums. Sometimes now I'm being pushed to the 4th page even.

Yesterday I clicked a topic on the first page, then hit the back button and it brought me to the second page.

It feels almost random at times.

Edit - just happened again. I clicked the Vampire Eternal Struggle thread on the first page (by clicking the green button showing it had 1 unread post). I clicked an external link in that post to the Black Chantry website. Then I swiped to go back - I'm on a Pixel 4 - which took me back to the thread/post. Swiped again and it brought me back to the page 2 forum listing.
Last edit: 01 Dec 2020 10:50 by charlest.

More
01 Dec 2020 11:13 #316741 by ubarose
Could be a browser bug, a bad cookie, or you could be accidentally hitting the 2 when you swipe. However, the going to page 2 when you hit the back button is really FUBAR. That makes it sound like it is most likely a browser bug/bad cookie.

What browser are you using?

You can test the bad cookie theory, by clearing your cookies and seeing if it solves the problem.

More
01 Dec 2020 11:16 #316742 by Disgustipater
My issue just started like a week ago, but maybe a browser update changed something.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose

More
01 Dec 2020 11:52 #316747 by Gary Sax
I don't know if this means anything or is working as designed, but every time I hit "recent topics" on the left bar it takes me exactly one page back.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD

More
01 Dec 2020 11:54 #316748 by ubarose

Disgustipater wrote: My issue just started like a week ago, but maybe a browser update changed something.

Browser update sounds like a strong possibility if all or most of the people having this problem are using the same browser.

What browser are you using?

More
01 Dec 2020 11:57 #316750 by Gary Sax
"Google Chrome is up to date
Version 87.0.4280.66 (Official Build) (64-bit)"

More
01 Dec 2020 12:58 #316754 by Disgustipater
Latest Firefox on PC and Safari on iOS

More
01 Dec 2020 13:23 - 01 Dec 2020 15:38 #316756 by Sagrilarus
Not meaning to call you all liars but I’m on a PC, an iPad and an Android phone on Firefox and Brave. I can't reproduce. My guess is that a dose of corruption went into your cookies at some point and it’s lingering. Close all TWBG tabs then clear your TWBG cookies, shut down and restart the browser. Look for behavior change of any sort and report back.

A second approach — bring the site up in IE or Edge or Safari (i.e., a browser you don’t use) and look for a change of behavior.
Last edit: 01 Dec 2020 15:38 by Sagrilarus.

More
01 Dec 2020 14:26 #316758 by Gary Sax
Will clear twbg cookies this afternoon and report back.

More
01 Dec 2020 14:28 #316759 by charlest
I'm on Chrome.

Just cleared all of my browser data. Will keep an eye on it.

More
01 Dec 2020 14:36 #316761 by ubarose

Sagrilarus wrote: Not meaning to call you all liars but I’m on a PC, an iPad and a Android phone on Firefox and Brave. My guess is that a dose of corruption went into your cookies at some point and it’s lingering. Close all TWBG tabs then clear your TWBG cookies, shut down and restart the browser. Look for behavior change of any sort and report back.

A second approach — bring the site up in IE or Edge or Safari (i.e., a browser you don’t use) and look for a change of behavior.

LOL. You know your IT shit. I've been trying to recreate the bug on two different laptops (mac and PC), a Dell Desktop, an iPad, and an iphone, and 5 different browsers (Safari, IE, Edge, Chrome & Firefox), and all combinations are working to spec.

The bottom line is the URL therewillbe.games/forum/recent uses your cookies to navigate. This URL will take you to wherever your cookie dictates. If the cookies are kaka, or for some reason your browser isn't accepting the new cookies as you navigate to different pages, your're going to end up on an unexpected page. There is not a lot I can do about that. I added a hard coded page one url to left side bar for what it is worth. It's the same link as the 1 button on the top of the page, just in case that is getting fat fingered. On your phone, clicking on the three little lines next to the search box at the top of the forum will open the forum menu.

Other than that, clearing your TWBG cookies may fix the problem. I'll keep digging, but this is looking like a client side issue, and there isn't a whole lot I can do about it if that is the case.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nodens

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.777 seconds