October 09, 2023
2537 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2738 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Welcome to one of the oldest board game communities on the Internet. That may sound like hyperbole but it really is true.

We are really happy to have you here. Unfortunately, being online we can't bond with you over a game so you'd know right away how happy we are to meet you. For now, you'll just have to take our word for it.

This site has always thrived on lively discussion and spirited but civil debate. We hope that newcomers here will find a welcoming atmosphere where game enthusiasts of all levels of experience and commitment will have something to add to the conversation. You never need to prove your “gamer cred” here. Whether you have been playing board games for a few months or a few decades; whether you have a huge collection or a small one; whether you have been a member here for years or just joined today – your opinion is valued here.

We know that it can be intimidating to jump into a new community and want to assure you that this is NOT the kind of forum where people will tell you that you posted something in the wrong place, or that you should have found an existing thread on the topic, or that you shouldn’t have resurrected an old thread.

So if you find a thread or an article discussion that interests you, whether it is old or new, feel free to jump in. Want to discuss a specific game or board gaming related topic just start a new topic. If you don’t know which forum to put it in, just make your best guess (we really don’t care all that much. It’s easy enough for a moderator to move it or merge it, if necessary).

A good place to get started is by introducing yourself in the “New Members Introduce Yourself” thread (below) or by telling us what you have been playing in the “What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing?" thread ( therewillbe.games/forum/35-mos-eisley-ca...ave-you-been-playing ).

Have fun, and we look forward to hearing from you.

Explain Your Avatar

More
03 Sep 2010 14:45 #73048 by Last Alchemist
Nick Warcholak wrote:

Mine is Garth Marenghi, horror writer, visionary, dreamweaver, plus actor. He's from my favorite BBC Comedy, Garth Marenghi's Darkplace. (Though Nighty Night gives it a run for its money.)

Great avatar, and a great fucking show. Hopefully Adult Swim will put it back on the air over here in the states soon.

LA

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Sep 2010 14:47 #73049 by Pat II
Replied by Pat II on topic Re:Explain Your Avatar
Yeah probably!

More
03 Sep 2010 14:47 #73050 by Last Alchemist
Mine is an illustration from the Mutant Chronicles CCG. I don't play the game, I just thought he looked cool as hell. I mean come on, his helmet is in the shape of a skull. I use the Blue Lantern Corps emblem over at BGG.

LA

More
03 Sep 2010 14:57 - 03 Sep 2010 15:09 #73052 by ubarose
Replied by ubarose on topic Re:Explain Your Avatar
I have a friend who has been trying to convince me for several years to get a complete make-over. To make her point she sent me an e-mail that read, "I found this picture of you." This was attached:

It's not me. Her point was that it was ugly and off-putting.

In response, just to bother her, I put it up as my avatar on Live Journal. I just keep using it after that.

@ Schweig!

I own a Good Soldier Svejk doll, but I've never read his story.
Last edit: 03 Sep 2010 15:09 by ubarose.

More
03 Sep 2010 15:03 #73054 by Hatchling
Replied by Hatchling on topic Re:Explain Your Avatar
Paulie is the best!!

More
03 Sep 2010 15:09 #73056 by mjl1783
Replied by mjl1783 on topic Re:Explain Your Avatar
Well, mine's about as self-explanatory as it gets. Uba PMed me one day, asking me to get an avatar. Apparently, she was confusing my posts with those of new users. My first reaction was to tell her to make all the new users get avatars and leave me the hell alone, but she puts up with enough crap as it is I guess. So instead, and as a form of protest, I tried to make the ugliest avatar I could (Impact font FTW).

I look at avatars the same way I look at tattoos. Trying to use someone else's work as a form of self-expression is a jackass thing to do. Since I don't draw, and I don't really want to use a picture of myself, I refuse to have an avatar no matter where I go on the internet.

I also refuse to use some morning radio DJ fake name, which is why I just have my initials and birth date, which isn't even correct because mjl11783 was already taken somewhere, and I don't want to have to remember more than one screen name.

More
03 Sep 2010 15:11 #73057 by Jason Lutes
Replied by Jason Lutes on topic Re:Explain Your Avatar
Dr. Mabuse wrote:

Since I feel more at home here I've changed my avatar to show myself. This was taken at our office Halloween party a couple of years ago.

Great costume! Are you dressed up as someone specific, or just a retro space dude?

More
03 Sep 2010 15:12 - 03 Sep 2010 15:13 #73058 by ubarose
mjl1783 wrote:

Well, mine's about as self-explanatory as it gets. Uba PMed me one day, asking me to get an avatar. Apparently, she was confusing my posts with those of new users. My first reaction was to tell her to make all the new users get avatars and leave me the hell alone, but she puts up with enough crap as it is I guess. So instead, and as a form of protest, I tried to make the ugliest avatar I could (Impact font FTW).

ANd I very much appreciated it. I recognize people by their avatars, not their names.
Last edit: 03 Sep 2010 15:13 by ubarose.

More
03 Sep 2010 15:18 #73060 by Jason Lutes
Replied by Jason Lutes on topic Re:Explain Your Avatar
ubarose wrote:

I have a friend who has been trying to convince me for several years to get a complete make-over. To make her point she sent me an e-mail that read, "I found this picture of you." This was attached:

It's not me. Her point was that it was ugly and off-putting.

In response, just to bother her, I put it up as my avatar on Live Journal. I just keep using it after that.

I was doing some random web search last week and ended up on some forum reading posts by someone with the exact same avatar. I had a few moments of cognitive dissonance as I tried to match her words to the uba we know here before I realized it wasn't you!

More
03 Sep 2010 15:23 #73061 by Rliyen
Replied by Rliyen on topic Re:Explain Your Avatar
Last Alchemist wrote:

Mine is an illustration from the Mutant Chronicles CCG. I don't play the game, I just thought he looked cool as hell. I mean come on, his helmet is in the shape of a skull. I use the Blue Lantern Corps emblem over at BGG.

LA

Venusian Ranger.

More
03 Sep 2010 15:33 #73064 by ubarose
Jason Lutes wrote:

I was doing some random web search last week and ended up on some forum reading posts by someone with the exact same avatar. I had a few moments of cognitive dissonance as I tried to match her words to the uba we know here before I realized it wasn't you!

I've seen it a around too. I think it was part of an LJ/MySpace/BuildYourOwnWebsite template package or something like that.

More
03 Sep 2010 15:38 #73066 by Black Barney
Replied by Black Barney on topic Re:Explain Your Avatar
well I can guarantee you won't see this new avatar around anywhere (except surprising you in the shower, maybe. Not you, Uba, don't worry). But I did see my old avatar on another website, i couldn't believe it.

More
03 Sep 2010 16:11 #73075 by Notahandle
Replied by Notahandle on topic Re:Explain Your Avatar
I had Pandora running a few internet picture searches and it unexpectedly showed up. I loved the stark, almost iconic, imagery.
(And backstabbing is kinda traditional for AT gaming (even though it's not really my style.))

Thanks for the great thread idea Juniper, because it allows me to start a competition, let's call it "Challenge Barnes": what film does the still come from?
(No, I don't know and I don't have any clues.)

Jason Lutes wrote:
" Ironically enough, my avatar is The Spider, a pulp vigilante created to compete with The Shadow."
In England we have a different character.

mjl1783 wrote:
" I tried to make the ugliest avatar I could (Impact font FTW)."
Given recent discussions, you might want to change to Comic Sans!

More
03 Sep 2010 16:25 #73076 by Sagrilarus
Replied by Sagrilarus on topic Re:Explain Your Avatar
Tin Eye shows Barney's and Rliyen's as originals.

Uba's seems to be common to sites in Europe.

Lutes' comes from mac.com alright and oddly enough doesn't match anything else, considering it's the cover of published material.

S.

More
03 Sep 2010 16:43 - 03 Sep 2010 16:43 #73077 by Schweig!
Replied by Schweig! on topic Re:Explain Your Avatar
mjl1783 wrote:

I like it! Mad MS Paint skillz.

I look at avatars the same way I look at tattoos. Trying to use someone else's work as a form of self-expression is a jackass thing to do. Since I don't draw, and I don't really want to use a picture of myself, I refuse to have an avatar no matter where I go on the internet.

Just take a picture of your toaster or something.

I also refuse to use some morning radio DJ fake name, which is why I just have my initials and birth date, which isn't even correct because mjl11783 was already taken somewhere, and I don't want to have to remember more than one screen name.

Ha ha great! I always thought you picked the year the American Revolution ended to hint at your slick rebellious nature. Seriously that's how I remember your username. Oh and: DJ Schweig! is in da fucking house!

Black Barney wrote:

lol, nice. Is that what Wings is saying in that shot?

Who is the guy in Pat's avatar? And who's the guy in Barney's avatar? Stupid Americans who think they've got culture... At least I recognized Hatchling's Tom Waits avatar. But Waits sucks.
Last edit: 03 Sep 2010 16:43 by Schweig!.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.287 seconds