October 09, 2023
2546 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2741 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Welcome to one of the oldest board game communities on the Internet. That may sound like hyperbole but it really is true.

We are really happy to have you here. Unfortunately, being online we can't bond with you over a game so you'd know right away how happy we are to meet you. For now, you'll just have to take our word for it.

This site has always thrived on lively discussion and spirited but civil debate. We hope that newcomers here will find a welcoming atmosphere where game enthusiasts of all levels of experience and commitment will have something to add to the conversation. You never need to prove your “gamer cred” here. Whether you have been playing board games for a few months or a few decades; whether you have a huge collection or a small one; whether you have been a member here for years or just joined today – your opinion is valued here.

We know that it can be intimidating to jump into a new community and want to assure you that this is NOT the kind of forum where people will tell you that you posted something in the wrong place, or that you should have found an existing thread on the topic, or that you shouldn’t have resurrected an old thread.

So if you find a thread or an article discussion that interests you, whether it is old or new, feel free to jump in. Want to discuss a specific game or board gaming related topic just start a new topic. If you don’t know which forum to put it in, just make your best guess (we really don’t care all that much. It’s easy enough for a moderator to move it or merge it, if necessary).

A good place to get started is by introducing yourself in the “New Members Introduce Yourself” thread (below) or by telling us what you have been playing in the “What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing?" thread ( therewillbe.games/forum/35-mos-eisley-ca...ave-you-been-playing ).

Have fun, and we look forward to hearing from you.

Explain Your Avatar

More
03 Sep 2010 22:37 #73104 by Stan Leer
Replied by Stan Leer on topic Re:Explain Your Avatar
Mine is an old public archive picture of the human arterial system. I work in people's blood vessels for a living. I also collect old anatomy prints so it seemed appropriate.

I thought the image was suitably H.P. Lovecraft-esque and fit right on F:AT.

The handle is a pseudonym. Sorry Lotter

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Sep 2010 22:43 #73105 by SusanR
Replied by SusanR on topic Re:Explain Your Avatar
Dang, Stan. That is one of the creepiest avatars I've ever seen!

More
03 Sep 2010 22:46 - 03 Sep 2010 22:47 #73107 by ChristopherMD
Stan Leer wrote:

I work in people's blood vessels for a living.

Somehow I read that as "blood wessels" and will now always read your posts in the voice of Chekov.
Last edit: 03 Sep 2010 22:47 by ChristopherMD.

More
03 Sep 2010 22:50 #73108 by Stan Leer
Replied by Stan Leer on topic Re:Explain Your Avatar
That might help with my terrible editting and spur of the moment posting

More
03 Sep 2010 22:51 #73109 by Josh Look
Replied by Josh Look on topic Re:Explain Your Avatar
I believe the image in my avatar to be from what I believe to be the funniest scene (and I mean scene, not line) in one of the funniest films of all time.

More
03 Sep 2010 23:03 #73111 by beuks33
Replied by beuks33 on topic Re:Explain Your Avatar
This thread finally gave me the impetus to change my avatar. Since about nine months ago I decided to ditch the baldy neckbeard look. While friends and coworkers got the gradual change to rockabilly Beuks, you poor folks get more of the whammo effect.

@shweig: Waits is the voice of the mythological America that exists in big city divebars, bordertowns, and traveling carnivals. He does not suck, not even a little.

More
03 Sep 2010 23:08 #73112 by Space Ghost
Replied by Space Ghost on topic Re:Explain Your Avatar
Browncoat wrote:

I believe the image in my avatar to be from what I believe to be the funniest scene (and I mean scene, not line) in one of the funniest films of all time.

Interesting.....I might be inclined to agree (well, I definitely agree about the film); however, there could be better scences.....have to think about it. The whole damn movie is hilarious, so it is hard to pick a scene.

More
03 Sep 2010 23:27 - 03 Sep 2010 23:29 #73113 by Josh Look
Replied by Josh Look on topic Re:Explain Your Avatar
Once Louis runs out his apartment to when he brings Egon the lamp, I'm pretty much crying in laughter.
Gozer the Traveler. He will come in one of the pre-chosen forms. During the rectification of the Vuldrini, the traveler came as a large and moving Torg! Then, during the third reconciliation of the last of the McKetrick supplicants, they chose a new form for him: that of a giant Slor! Many Shuvs and Zuuls knew what it was to be roasted in the depths of the Slor that day, I can tell you!

That is just GOLD.
Last edit: 03 Sep 2010 23:29 by Josh Look.

More
03 Sep 2010 23:39 #73115 by KingPut
Replied by KingPut on topic Re:Explain Your Avatar
Viddly, welly, welly, welly, welly, welly, welly, well I was trying to use my Gulliver to think up a new Avatar after a night of ultra violent gaming. On this night we were all feeling a bit shagged and fagged and fashed, it being a night of no small expenditure. What we were after now was the old Ameritrash gaming. That was a real kick and good for laughs and lashings of the old Arkham Horror ultraviolent.

There was me and my three droogs, that is Malloc, Wkover, and Big Dim Bein, and we sat in Bobbytweeks Milkbar trying to make up our rassoodocks what to do with the evening. The Bobbytweeks milkbar sold milk-plus, milk plus Nattyboh or synthemesc or 90 minute IPA, which is what we were drinking. This would sharpen you up and make you ready for a bit of the old Ti3 ultra-violence.

But than we saw an old drunkie. And one thing I could never stand was to see a filthy, dirty old Steve "drunkie" Avery, howling away at the filthy songs of his fathers games like Circus Imperium or Thunder road and going blurp blurp in between as it might be a filthy old orchestra in his stinking, rotten guts. I could never stand to see anyone like that, whatever his age might be, but more especially when he was real old like this one was.

But oh my Ameritrash brother it had been a wonderful evening and what I needed now, to give it the perfect ending, was a little of the Ludwig Van and some in-out with the wivie.

More
03 Sep 2010 23:46 #73117 by The King in Yellow
My avatar is from the cover of "Ultima IV: Quest of the Avatar," possibly one of the deepest and best computer games of all time.
The game is also responsible for bringing the term "Avatar" into popular culture, so I get to be extra-special clever on top of it.

Many, many years ago, because I kept running into it (first in Robert Anton Wilson's Masks of the Illuminati, then in the Cthulhu mythos), I became fixated on the idea that a book, The King in Yellow, could bring insanity and death and other ill-fortune. And it seemed to do so with such style - capturing a reader due to curiosity, then leading them down a path of entropic decadence. The fact that it later became a popular Arkham Horror supplement was just gravy to me.

More
04 Sep 2010 00:11 #73118 by clockwirk
Replied by clockwirk on topic Re:Explain Your Avatar
The King in Yellow wrote:

The game is also responsible for bringing the term "Avatar" into popular culture

I thought that was Neal Stephenson in SNOW CRASH.

More
04 Sep 2010 00:11 #73119 by ubarose
Replied by ubarose on topic Re:Explain Your Avatar
KingPut wrote:

Viddly, welly, welly, welly, welly, welly, welly, well I was trying to use my Gulliver to think up a new Avatar after a night of ultra violent gaming. On this night we were all feeling a bit shagged and fagged and fashed, it being a night of no small expenditure. What we were after now was the old Ameritrash gaming. That was a real kick and good for laughs and lashings of the old Arkham Horror ultraviolent.

There was me and my three droogs, that is Malloc, Wkover, and Big Dim Bein, and we sat in Bobbytweeks Milkbar trying to make up our rassoodocks what to do with the evening. The Bobbytweeks milkbar sold milk-plus, milk plus Nattyboh or synthemesc or 90 minute IPA, which is what we were drinking. This would sharpen you up and make you ready for a bit of the old Ti3 ultra-violence.

But than we saw an old drunkie. And one thing I could never stand was to see a filthy, dirty old Steve "drunkie" Avery, howling away at the filthy songs of his fathers games like Circus Imperium or Thunder road and going blurp blurp in between as it might be a filthy old orchestra in his stinking, rotten guts. I could never stand to see anyone like that, whatever his age might be, but more especially when he was real old like this one was.

But oh my Ameritrash brother it had been a wonderful evening and what I needed now, to give it the perfect ending, was a little of the Ludwig Van and some in-out with the wivie.

Laughing so hard I can't breath. Brilliant.

More
04 Sep 2010 00:22 - 04 Sep 2010 00:23 #73120 by mikoyan
Replied by mikoyan on topic Re:Explain Your Avatar
Mine is a picture of one of the wolverines from the Detroit zoo. I have it for two reasons...I'm from Michigan which is often referred to as the wolverine state and I'm a fan of the University of Michigan athletic teams which are called the wolverines.

Schweig - For some reason I thought your avatar was a Nazi muppet....

Southernman - And for some reason yours looks like a hockey player

And someone else, I thought it was a Jedi.
Last edit: 04 Sep 2010 00:23 by mikoyan.

More
04 Sep 2010 01:24 #73124 by Mr. White
Replied by Mr. White on topic Re:Explain Your Avatar

They're the only wolverines I recognize.

Speaking of which, though I'm sure the re-make is going to be a turd, some of the promotional posters are pretty neat:

Anyway, I used to sport a Guile picture from SFII. I figure the fighting american was a pretty good symbol of the Ameritrash ideal. Plus, like classic AT boardgames, I prefer classic videogames. I switched over to the US Soccer crest for the World Cup. Been too busy/lazy to change it to anything else.

As far as the name. It's from an alias one of my Top Secret characters went by in the 80's. Silly yeah, but I went with it in the 90's when I first started logging on. I think Loter has some good points though.

More
04 Sep 2010 06:33 - 04 Sep 2010 06:39 #73129 by maka
Replied by maka on topic Re:Explain Your Avatar
Mine is just a screen shot from the classic computer game Frontier: Elite II rendered to look like a picture from a ZX Spectrum computer (although it's not that clear in such a small size).

That game is one of my all time computer games and Science Fiction is my favorite genre. I also love board games with a similar theme (space trading games) such as Merchant of Venus, so it made sense...

Before that and for a very short while I had an avatar showing the main character from the old ZX Spectrum game Maziacs. I really love that computer and still play many of its games (old and new).

BTW, lots of interesting posts... I remember the first time I downloaded the Jared app on my mac back around 1996. I couldn't stop laughing... The guy was supposed to be singing in Spanish but it was hilarious...
Attachments:
Last edit: 04 Sep 2010 06:39 by maka.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.367 seconds