October 09, 2023
2551 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2747 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Welcome to one of the oldest board game communities on the Internet. That may sound like hyperbole but it really is true.

We are really happy to have you here. Unfortunately, being online we can't bond with you over a game so you'd know right away how happy we are to meet you. For now, you'll just have to take our word for it.

This site has always thrived on lively discussion and spirited but civil debate. We hope that newcomers here will find a welcoming atmosphere where game enthusiasts of all levels of experience and commitment will have something to add to the conversation. You never need to prove your “gamer cred” here. Whether you have been playing board games for a few months or a few decades; whether you have a huge collection or a small one; whether you have been a member here for years or just joined today – your opinion is valued here.

We know that it can be intimidating to jump into a new community and want to assure you that this is NOT the kind of forum where people will tell you that you posted something in the wrong place, or that you should have found an existing thread on the topic, or that you shouldn’t have resurrected an old thread.

So if you find a thread or an article discussion that interests you, whether it is old or new, feel free to jump in. Want to discuss a specific game or board gaming related topic just start a new topic. If you don’t know which forum to put it in, just make your best guess (we really don’t care all that much. It’s easy enough for a moderator to move it or merge it, if necessary).

A good place to get started is by introducing yourself in the “New Members Introduce Yourself” thread (below) or by telling us what you have been playing in the “What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing?" thread ( therewillbe.games/forum/35-mos-eisley-ca...ave-you-been-playing ).

Have fun, and we look forward to hearing from you.

Explain Your Avatar

More
04 Sep 2010 06:35 #73130 by Stephen Avery
ubarose wrote:

KingPut wrote:

Viddly, welly, welly, welly, welly, welly, welly, well I was trying to use my Gulliver to think up a new Avatar after a night of ultra violent gaming. On this night we were all feeling a bit shagged and fagged and fashed, it being a night of no small expenditure. What we were after now was the old Ameritrash gaming. That was a real kick and good for laughs and lashings of the old Arkham Horror ultraviolent.

There was me and my three droogs, that is Malloc, Wkover, and Big Dim Bein, and we sat in Bobbytweeks Milkbar trying to make up our rassoodocks what to do with the evening. The Bobbytweeks milkbar sold milk-plus, milk plus Nattyboh or synthemesc or 90 minute IPA, which is what we were drinking. This would sharpen you up and make you ready for a bit of the old Ti3 ultra-violence.

But than we saw an old drunkie. And one thing I could never stand was to see a filthy, dirty old Steve "drunkie" Avery, howling away at the filthy songs of his fathers games like Circus Imperium or Thunder road and going blurp blurp in between as it might be a filthy old orchestra in his stinking, rotten guts. I could never stand to see anyone like that, whatever his age might be, but more especially when he was real old like this one was.

But oh my Ameritrash brother it had been a wonderful evening and what I needed now, to give it the perfect ending, was a little of the Ludwig Van and some in-out with the wivie.

Laughing so hard I can't breath. Brilliant.

That was hilarious. It reminds me of Uba's Jack Kerowak interpretation of WBC posted on the old Blog. Clever prose must run in the family.

My appy polly loggies, me bolshy brat. I was nantering on like a malenky baboochka I was. This story is for us to pony the lewdies eemya and what pics theys have and not. It is not for me to creech on about me starry games no matter how dobby the are. Though you could be crowing with your gromky gorlo cause you don't have the yarbles to yecket here to Lanta Land. Till then I'll have to peet me buzzy beer oddy knocky.

Steve"a Tanktop Yellow"Avery

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Sep 2010 06:54 #73131 by stormseeker75
My avatar is as old as the internet itself. I remember my boss showing it to me and I thought it was just incredibly disturbing. I figured it would be a great way to get people to remember me.

More
04 Sep 2010 08:06 #73133 by derekjinx
Replied by derekjinx on topic Re:Explain Your Avatar
My avatar has changed once before. I used to be a Olmos-era Cylon and now I'm Maximillion from the Disney movie "The Black Hole." My thoughts behind it are that I love almost anything sci-fi, and that I'd do a rotating avatar based on my mood and whenever I logged in to post something. I don't care to use my real name but if you ask me I don't mind telling you. I'm more of a lurker in these forums and seldom post anyway. Its entertaining enough that I don't usually feel inclined to participate by posting.

It would effectively be themed "Legendary Robots of Film, TV and literature."

I would then go on to commemorate it with a set of collector plates or spoons or something.

Hmmmm... what robot should I put up there next....

More
04 Sep 2010 08:31 #73134 by The King in Yellow
clockwirk wrote:

The King in Yellow wrote:

The game is also responsible for bringing the term "Avatar" into popular culture

I thought that was Neal Stephenson in SNOW CRASH.

In case you were curious, Ultima IV came along in 1985, then Lucasfilm took the term and used it to define an online persona in 1986. Neal Stephenson gave it a big boost in 1992 with Snow Crash.

More
04 Sep 2010 11:33 - 04 Sep 2010 11:34 #73141 by Mr MOTO
Replied by Mr MOTO on topic Re:Explain Your Avatar
Macho Man - Randy Savage is my avatar.

I thought it would be fitting for a very serious and yet trashy avatar.

Ooooooooohh Yeeeeeeeuh!!!!!!
Last edit: 04 Sep 2010 11:34 by Mr MOTO.

More
04 Sep 2010 14:38 #73147 by moss_icon
Replied by moss_icon on topic Re:Explain Your Avatar
i kind of like the irony, i am somewhat to the left on the political spectrum, but i like the image of punk rock bush flipping the bird.

More
04 Sep 2010 16:38 #73152 by Schweig!
Replied by Schweig! on topic Re:Explain Your Avatar
mikoyan wrote:

Schweig - For some reason I thought your avatar was a Nazi muppet....

No kidding?

More
04 Sep 2010 16:39 #73153 by ubarose
Replied by ubarose on topic Re:Explain Your Avatar
Stephen Avery wrote:

ubarose wrote:

KingPut wrote:

Viddly, welly, welly, welly, welly, welly, welly, well I was trying to use my Gulliver to think up a new Avatar after a night of ultra violent gaming. On this night we were all feeling a bit shagged and fagged and fashed, it being a night of no small expenditure. What we were after now was the old Ameritrash gaming. That was a real kick and good for laughs and lashings of the old Arkham Horror ultraviolent.

There was me and my three droogs, that is Malloc, Wkover, and Big Dim Bein, and we sat in Bobbytweeks Milkbar trying to make up our rassoodocks what to do with the evening. The Bobbytweeks milkbar sold milk-plus, milk plus Nattyboh or synthemesc or 90 minute IPA, which is what we were drinking. This would sharpen you up and make you ready for a bit of the old Ti3 ultra-violence.

But than we saw an old drunkie. And one thing I could never stand was to see a filthy, dirty old Steve "drunkie" Avery, howling away at the filthy songs of his fathers games like Circus Imperium or Thunder road and going blurp blurp in between as it might be a filthy old orchestra in his stinking, rotten guts. I could never stand to see anyone like that, whatever his age might be, but more especially when he was real old like this one was.

But oh my Ameritrash brother it had been a wonderful evening and what I needed now, to give it the perfect ending, was a little of the Ludwig Van and some in-out with the wivie.

Laughing so hard I can't breath. Brilliant.

That was hilarious. It reminds me of Uba's Jack Kerowak interpretation of WBC posted on the old Blog. Clever prose must run in the family.

My appy polly loggies, me bolshy brat. I was nantering on like a malenky baboochka I was. This story is for us to pony the lewdies eemya and what pics theys have and not. It is not for me to creech on about me starry games no matter how dobby the are. Though you could be crowing with your gromky gorlo cause you don't have the yarbles to yecket here to Lanta Land. Till then I'll have to peet me buzzy beer oddy knocky.

Steve"a Tanktop Yellow"Avery

I think you are remembering Fear and Loathing in Lancaster. A Savage Journey into the Heart of the Ameritrash Dream , which was a tribute to Hunter S. Thompson. KingPut was an uncredited co-author of that piece.

More
04 Sep 2010 22:13 #73175 by san il defanso
My avater is pretty straightforward. It was originally on TVTropes.com, under their heading for "awesome but unpractical." The picture made me laugh a lot, and I just got such a kick out of the idea of an army of bears charging on horseback.

San Il Defanso was a nickname that has a more interesting story. I attended a small missionary high school in West Africa, and there were a lot of homeschool students who would hang out with us. One of my best friends, whose name was Jesse, started calling me San Il Defanso, for reasons only he knew. I guess his homeschool education had brought him a wealth of obscure historical knowledge, because it turns out that San Ildefonso (note the spelling difference) was actually a treaty signed between France and Spain in 1800 (or was it 1801?), which, if I'm not mistaken, gave most of the Louisiana territory to France. It was such a bizarre name, and it conjured this image of some swarthy Snidely Whiplash-like villain that I found pretty irresistible.

Since I'd never heard the name before, I guessed as to its spelling, later finding out the correct spelling. It helps differentiate, I guess. You know, in case anyone confuses me with an obscure 19th Century treaty.

More
05 Sep 2010 18:58 #73219 by Mr Skeletor
Replied by Mr Skeletor on topic Re:Explain Your Avatar
No idea - Uba gave it to me.

More
05 Sep 2010 20:17 #73221 by billyz
Replied by billyz on topic Re:Explain Your Avatar
Mine's Sam- from the GROWING HUNGER expansion to LNoE.

Am I a huge fan? No.

Do I look just like him? Yes.

No joke.

More
05 Sep 2010 21:07 #73225 by Space Ghost
Replied by Space Ghost on topic Re:Explain Your Avatar
Mr Skeletor wrote:

No idea - Uba gave it to me.

I think that was assigned per my recommendation.

More
06 Sep 2010 15:03 #73251 by jur
Replied by jur on topic Re:Explain Your Avatar
This is me without flash and with cigar testing out my camera

More
06 Sep 2010 16:09 #73252 by Shellhead
Replied by Shellhead on topic Re:Explain Your Avatar
beuks33 wrote:

@shweig: Waits is the voice of the mythological America that exists in big city divebars, bordertowns, and traveling carnivals. He does not suck, not even a little.

Whenever I rip a new CD onto my computer, to add to my jukebox-type software, it tries to identify the music by comparing it with what's online. About 90% of time, it recognizes the CD and correctly labels all the track names, and assign a genre. When I uploaded Frank's Wild Years, the genre came up as "Tom Waits." That's right, the man is a genre, too.

More
07 Sep 2010 11:22 #73277 by Ska_baron
Replied by Ska_baron on topic Re:Explain Your Avatar
What can I say? I like ska and I like Starship Troopers.

Always been a fan of ska and played trumpet in a high school ska band - Skamikaze.

Starship Troopers was really good and I saw it with a friend in the theater. Since then, I've seen the next two installments, but they dont come close to the first in entertainment, campiness, and Doogie Houser. Read the book first and even though this was so different, I wasnt at all disappointed.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.188 seconds