October 09, 2023
2546 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2741 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× WELCOME TO TRASHDOME!

This is part of a series of bloody matches to the death. Show support for your favorite game so it will do better in the fight. You can support it by writing why you think its the better game and more importantly by betting (i.e. voting for) it. Please make it clear for when I check the bets later. You have until Friday when I tally the bets and declare the winner. I will reserve my bet for any tie-breakers.

Although you should be familiar with both games, there is no rule that says you have to have played both of them. The only rule in Trashdome is this;

Two games enter! One game leaves!

Trashdome - Arkham Horror VS Dune

More
07 Oct 2009 04:20 #44039 by shryke
Jason Lutes wrote:

Michael Barnes wrote:

DUNE must prevail. This is darkest time ever in the history of the modern AT movement. It's worse than when TOMB was released.

I just finished reading through the thread, and all I can say is WHAT THE FUCK?!??!?

What happened?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Oct 2009 10:18 #44045 by mrmarcus
Michael Barnes wrote:

DUNE must prevail. This is darkest time ever in the history of the modern AT movement. It's worse than when TOMB was released.

Why?

More
07 Oct 2009 10:36 #44047 by Shellhead
shryke wrote:

Jason Lutes wrote:

Michael Barnes wrote:

I just finished reading through the thread, and all I can say is WHAT THE FUCK?!??!?

What happened?

Barnes just broke the Hyperbole Speed Limit, by comparing one of the best AT games with one of the worst.

More
07 Oct 2009 10:45 #44048 by Dr. Mabuse
Shellhead wrote:

shryke wrote:

Jason Lutes wrote:

Michael Barnes wrote:

What happened?

Barnes just broke the Hyperbole Speed Limit, by comparing one of the best AT games with one of the worst.

Ahhh, that's why I was seeing spots and feeling light-headed.

More
07 Oct 2009 11:02 #44050 by Hatchling
WHEREAS boardgaming is a small niche within the general gaming hobby, and

WHEREAS Ameritrash is a small niche within the boardgaming niche, and

WHEREAS there are many ways to be wrong but few ways to be right, and

WHEREAS an ocean of piss isn't worth a drop of whiskey,

BE IT RESOLVED THAT the game that loses this trashdome vote wins.

BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED THAT this resolution carries if it fails.

More
07 Oct 2009 11:28 #44051 by Grudunza
Sadly, I haven't played Dune yet, but AH is all kinds of awesome, so I have to assume that it would take an unimaginably great game to top that... Yes, Dune might very well be that game, and certainly the hype says that it is, but the hype let me down a little with Fury of Dracula (which I think is very good but not as incredibly amazing as many seem to think), so until I play it, I'm going to assume that might be the case for Dune.

Arkham Horror

More
07 Oct 2009 12:41 #44055 by Michael Barnes
Dune blew my mind when I first encountered it circa 1979.

Now look right there. This is from one of your elders, all you post-FFG, "AT since 2005" whippersnappers. You would all do well to pay attention to the wisdom of Jason Lutes, your senior. Aside from that, he is a GAME DESIGNER, which means that his opinion comes to us from on high.

A lot of what I'm hearing sounds like the "BETTER THAN 2001" crap that some DISTRICT 9 fans were spouting a couple of months ago...no sense of perspective or context.

More
07 Oct 2009 12:50 #44056 by jeb
When I saw 2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY with commercial interruptions on channel 56 after bending the rabbit ears just so and my Mom was yelling at me to finish mowing the lawn...

...it was still better than TOMB.

What were we talking about?

Oh yeah, ARKHAM HORROR is awesome. DUNE is on another plane of existence.

More
07 Oct 2009 12:58 #44058 by OldHippy
Michael Barnes wrote:

This is from one of your elders

These "elders" can't see the game for what it is. Overrated. Their sense of nostalgia is so strong they can't see the game the way we do, they're essentially blinded by their own youths. Don't be fooled by bullies who seem to think that their status is respected enough that we'll vote for clearly inferior games. Vote Arkham this year, vote Arkham every year.

Arkham

Horror.

More
07 Oct 2009 13:47 #44069 by Hatchling
Wait a minute, I see what's going on here!

Grudunza wrote:

Bla bla bla

Arkham Horror

JonJacob wrote:

Bla bla bla

Arkham Horror

metalface13 wrote:

Bla bla bla

Arkham Horror

Mr Skeletor wrote:

Bla bla bla

Arkham Horror

timeLESS wrote:

Bla bla bla

Arkham Horror

Shellhead wrote:

Bla bla bla

Arkham Horror

Etc..
Etc..

IT'S ALL A BIG JOKE!! HAHA! VERY FUNNY!

You guys crack me up.

More
07 Oct 2009 13:53 #44070 by Jason Lutes
shryke wrote:

Jason Lutes wrote:

Michael Barnes wrote:

What happened?

My WHAT THE FUCK?!??!? was directed at all the pathetically misguided Arkham Horror love, not at Barnes.

JonJacob wrote:
These "elders" can't see the game for what it is. Overrated. Their sense of nostalgia is so strong they can't see the game the way we do, they're essentially blinded by their own youths. Don't be fooled by bullies who seem to think that their status is respected enough that we'll vote for clearly inferior games. Vote Arkham this year, vote Arkham every year.

B.U.L.L.S.H.I.T. We're talking about boardgaming history, here. We're talking about singular achievements in game design that changed everything of worth that would follow. Dune was a fucking paradigm shift, man. And it still holds up (just like Cosmic Encounter). That you and the rest of the "disappointed" whippersnappers can't keep your expectations in check is your problem, not the game's.

JonJacob wrote:Plus the theme is perfect. Lovecraft might not be the most virtuosic of writers, and may even be a bit sloppy at times, but his vision is awe inspiring and the game captures that perfectly.

You're fucking high, Michael Jackson. Have you even read Lovecraft? I can't imagine a less faithful adaptation of that material. The game may be fun for those of you that like it, but AH captures Lovecraft as well as Jim Carrey plays the Grinch.

No appreciation for backstabbing. No appreciation for revolution. No appreciation for history. No appreciation for the best win condition of all time (Bene Gesserit).

Truly, this is a sad, sad day in the annals of F:AT.

DISCLAIMER: All insults made in the spirit of Trashdome.

More
07 Oct 2009 14:37 #44072 by Malloc
Vote Dune...

you AH guys are on crack.

-M

More
07 Oct 2009 14:42 #44073 by Dr. Mabuse
Malloc wrote:

Vote Dune...

you AH guys are ON crack.

-M

You mean IN their ASS crack.

DUUUUUUUUUUNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNE!!!!!

More
07 Oct 2009 14:44 #44074 by Dr. Mabuse
Grudunza wrote:

...the hype let me down a little with Fury of Dracula (which I think is very good but not as incredibly amazing as many seem to think), so until I play it, I'm going to assume that might be the case for Dune.

Arkham Horror

G. it's better to assume on the side that you would LOVE Dune. Change your vote, you know it's the right thing to do.

More
07 Oct 2009 15:44 #44078 by Michael Barnes
This Trashdome really is turning out to be an embarassment for F:AT as well as the modern AT movement. I was sure that this was going to be a mutual, "we're all on the same page" conversation where we all acknowledge AH's quality but also DUNE's vast superiority. But what we have are the roots of a civil war that makes the RUNEBOUND vs. TALISMAN fiasco seem like a mild disagreement.

I was willing to _turn my back to a friend_ to make the right vote here. And all I see are people constructing half-baked defenses of a great game, no doubt, but not one that can stand against the might DUNE. ARKHAM HORROR is a top ten AT game. DUNE is a top...two.

I'm really beginning to call into question the ability to discern true awesomeness among the junior F:AT members. But little does it matter when the next generation of AT gamers arises sometime in the next 15 years or so and regards ARKHAM HORROR as this era's MUNCHKIN...and still looks to DUNE as one of the benchmark games of the genre.

And here's another thing...all this "wah, wah, sometimes my DUNE game is stinky" crap...I've played games of AH that totally sucked because you're at the mercy of the flimsy "AI" system. I've seen games shut down in an hour. I've seen games go 8 hours. You don't always get a good game out of it, so that argument completely falls apart.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.202 seconds