October 09, 2023
2551 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2747 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× WELCOME TO TRASHDOME!

This is part of a series of bloody matches to the death. Show support for your favorite game so it will do better in the fight. You can support it by writing why you think its the better game and more importantly by betting (i.e. voting for) it. Please make it clear for when I check the bets later. You have until Friday when I tally the bets and declare the winner. I will reserve my bet for any tie-breakers.

Although you should be familiar with both games, there is no rule that says you have to have played both of them. The only rule in Trashdome is this;

Two games enter! One game leaves!

Trashdome - Arkham Horror VS Dune

More
08 Oct 2009 05:39 #44160 by sydo
I will try to explain why I love Dune, but with my crappy English, I doubt it would convince anyone:

1) The asymmetry - has been said here before in a much better way than I could explain. I love the way the character powers work and how it corresponds to the novel (which I liked but nothing spectacular).

2) The rules make sense so it's easy to teach it to newbies. But the same goes for AH.

3) You can accomplish great goals with skillfull diplomacy. If you are an idiot, you will have a hard time winning. You are not limited by the rules in what you can sell - you can use other players as mercenaries, sell information (about storm, treachery cards, spice cards) - it all depands on how persuasive you are.

4) You can backstab others.

5) I love the storm and even more after using Family Atomics - the panic in Arrakeen and Carthag every couple of minutes is awesome.

6) It has nukes.

7) The traitors are great, I love the desperation on one side and the triumph on the other when a traitor is revealed.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Oct 2009 08:44 #44166 by Hatchling
Southernman wrote:

THE Reason Arkham Horror may be superior to Dune:

1. It ended up stomping Dune in the Trashdome.

It's hardly a stomp if most people who voted for Arkham Horror followed the euro trend and simply chose the least worst option ("it's easier to find players", "my friends like it more", "it's easier to find a copy", "it has nicer components", "Arkham rules because Barnes sucks") and/or were driven by blind insanity ("bla bla bla"). In the face of the utterly compelling and decisive arguments for Dune, it's clear that this so-called Arkham Horror sweep is simply a spite-venting excercise in which lessers take delight in seeing their superiors fall.

Vote for DUNE. A heroic victory is better than a passive one.

More
08 Oct 2009 09:52 #44171 by Columbob
Mad Malthus wrote:

7. Giant worms (OK so Arkham Horror has a lot of giant tentacles...)

Arkham also has Chthonians and Dholes to fill its giant worm quota.

JonJacob wrote:

As far as Arkham not portraying Lovecrafts world very well... It would be pretty boring if nothing happened, no monsters were ever seen, and my solo professor simply went crazy with his racist cat... But it gets as close to the world of Lovecraft as is possible while still keeping a game in there. It couldn't really be any other world. You know it's lovecraft when you play.

You see, AH isn't directly based on the Lovecraft stories, it's based on the Call of Cthulhu RPG. So it gets to exercise a lot of creative artistic liberty and gets away with it through awesomely fun game play.

More
08 Oct 2009 10:08 #44176 by sydo
Columbob wrote:

Mad Malthus wrote:

But you can't ride them or send them to devour your enemies.

More
08 Oct 2009 10:18 #44178 by scissors
Arkham Horr... Oh, who am I kidding.

VOTE: DUNE

More
08 Oct 2009 10:40 #44183 by Aarontu
Columbob wrote:

Mad Malthus wrote:

And don't forget this GOO that burrows beneath Arkham and devours/collapses the town piece by piece:

More
08 Oct 2009 12:09 #44196 by Columbob
World Cracking is awesome. Don't believe you can find that in Dune.

More
08 Oct 2009 12:56 #44202 by OldHippy
Hatchling wrote:

Southernman wrote:

THE Reason Arkham Horror may be superior to Dune:

1. It ended up stomping Dune in the Trashdome.

It's hardly a stomp if most people who voted for Arkham Horror followed the euro trend and simply chose the least worst option ("it's easier to find players", "my friends like it more", "it's easier to find a copy", "it has nicer components", "Arkham rules because Barnes sucks") and/or were driven by blind insanity ("bla bla bla").

At least the people voting for Arkham have actually played it. "Euro trend" or not. Arkham is AT all the way. Dune is debatable.

More
08 Oct 2009 13:25 #44209 by Michael Barnes
Nobody ever assumed DUNE fans were stupid enough to pay $13 for two crudely painted miniatures.

More
08 Oct 2009 13:52 #44211 by Shellhead
Michael Barnes wrote:

Nobody ever assumed DUNE fans were stupid enough to pay $13 for two crudely painted miniatures.

Fine, let's talk about Spice Harvest. Adds an hour to the setup time for Dune and unbalances the game, and it cost more than $13.

More
08 Oct 2009 14:03 #44214 by metalface13
kookoobah wrote:

Given enough money, would guys rather buy a copy of Dune/retheme of Dune or the new Arkham Horror minis?

That's an unfair question. I would much rather buy anything before those Arkham Horror minis. And I love Arkham Horror.

More
08 Oct 2009 14:16 #44215 by Space Ghost
To recap -- a vote for Dune is a vote for sexual repression, while a vote for Arkham is a vote for sexual expression.

More
08 Oct 2009 14:34 #44219 by Columbob
This just in: A vote for Dune is a vote against freedom of expression and rock music!
When Iron Maiden wrote their song Dune (later renamed To Tame a Land) in 1983, here's what happened:

Author Frank Herbert refused to allow the band to call this song "Dune." The band originally sent a letter to Herbert's agent for permission. The response read as follows: "No. Because Frank Herbert doesn't like rock bands, particularly heavy rock bands, and especially rock bands like Iron Maiden." Songwriter Steve Harris tried to convince Herbert that the song would be a good promo for the book, but he still refused.

A few cassettes with the title Dune were still released in Canada.

Space Ghost wrote:

To recap -- a vote for Dune is a vote for sexual repression, while a vote for Arkham is a vote for sexual expression.

Although sex was admittedly a pretty big part of the later Dune books (Heretics and Chapterhouse).

More
08 Oct 2009 14:46 #44220 by Michael Barnes
Alright, there's only a day of voting left so it's time to wheel out the big guns.

Lovecraft was a racist.

Therefore, if you vote for ARKHAM HORROR, it puts you that much closer to Adolf Hitler.

DUNE is about freedom, the environment, indigenous peoples, and other progressive ideas. Vote for change. Vote DUNE.

More
08 Oct 2009 15:16 #44227 by NeonPeon
Columbob wrote:

Author Frank Herbert refused to allow the band to call this song "Dune." The band originally sent a letter to Herbert's agent for permission. The response read as follows: "No. Because Frank Herbert doesn't like rock bands, particularly heavy rock bands, and especially rock bands like Iron Maiden." Songwriter Steve Harris tried to convince Herbert that the song would be a good promo for the book, but he still refused.

Sounds like Herbert was a snobby prick. "How dare they write a song about my masterpiece? They say it will increase my book sales, well I don't want THOSE people reading my books anyway."

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.266 seconds