October 09, 2023
2546 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2743 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× WELCOME TO TRASHDOME!

This is part of a series of bloody matches to the death. Show support for your favorite game so it will do better in the fight. You can support it by writing why you think its the better game and more importantly by betting (i.e. voting for) it. Please make it clear for when I check the bets later. You have until Friday when I tally the bets and declare the winner. I will reserve my bet for any tie-breakers.

Although you should be familiar with both games, there is no rule that says you have to have played both of them. The only rule in Trashdome is this;

Two games enter! One game leaves!

Trashdome - Arkham Horror VS Dune

More
07 Oct 2009 16:26 #44083 by Bullwinkle
Vote: Arkham Horror.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Oct 2009 16:45 #44085 by Grudunza
Dr_Mabuse wrote:

Grudunza wrote:

...the hype let me down a little with Fury of Dracula (which I think is very good but not as incredibly amazing as many seem to think), so until I play it, I'm going to assume that might be the case for Dune.

Arkham Horror

G. it's better to assume on the side that you would LOVE Dune. Change your vote, you know it's the right thing to do.

Well, the odds are good that I will love it, but will I think it's the most incredible game of all-time? I don't know... Too much hype and expectation seems to work against my actual reaction to things.

More
07 Oct 2009 17:45 #44091 by MrZir
I've got to vote for the probably awesome over the more reliably great game here. Those awesome moments are worth it and happen often enough to be worth playing the game.

Dune

More
07 Oct 2009 17:54 #44092 by Shellhead
In my whole life, I've played maybe 10 games of Dune. None of those games were spectacularly great, and a few of them were actually very disappointing. By contrast, I've played the original Arkham Horror maybe 100 times, and it was generally fun. And I've played the modern Arkham Horror even more, and some of those games were outstanding. And to be honest, two times it was a bad game where we lost quickly.

In general, I've played a lot more Arkham Horror because:

1. Arkham's easier to get on the table, compared to Dune where you really want 5 or 6 players for a potentially good game.

2. The Arkham expansions easily expand upon the replay value, while the Dune expansions cause dissent and confusion.

3. Arkham is more popular with the many people that I play games with.

4. Arkham plays well as a solitaire game, though you need to run at least three characters to have a decent shot at a good game.

More
07 Oct 2009 18:10 #44094 by Hatchling
Uba just told me that I'm allowed to vote twice. So:

Vote #2: Dune.

More
07 Oct 2009 18:29 #44096 by mrmarcus
Hatchling wrote:

Ah. So the fix is in, I see.

More
07 Oct 2009 18:34 #44097 by Hatchling
mrmarcus wrote:

Hatchling wrote:

Ah. So the fix is in, I see.

Wow, paranoid much? It wasn't a fix. Just something about saving the honour of all Ameritrashers or something like that.

More
07 Oct 2009 18:37 #44098 by maka
I loved Dune the book, and would love to try the game, but I just don't get to game with the number of people needed for Dune to shine. I enjoy a game of AH from time to time and always have fun, even when losing.

Vote: AH

More
07 Oct 2009 18:39 #44099 by OldHippy
Jason Lutes wrote:

B.U.L.L.S.H.I.T. We're talking about boardgaming history, here. We're talking about singular achievements in game design that changed everything of worth that would follow. Dune was a fucking paradigm shift, man. And it still holds up (just like Cosmic Encounter). That you and the rest of the "disappointed" whippersnappers can't keep your expectations in check is your problem, not the game's.

A paradigm shift. Big fucking deal. I'm only mildly interested in who did it first. I am much more interested in who did it best. Not Dune. Also, not CE either. They don't age that well. Still fun, not on Arkham's level.

As far as Arkham not portraying Lovecrafts world very well... It would be pretty boring if nothing happened, no monsters were ever seen, and my solo professor simply went crazy with his racist cat... But it gets as close to the world of Lovecraft as is possible while still keeping a game in there. It couldn't really be any other world. You know it's lovecraft when you play.

Plus it's much more versatile. You don't wait for the one good game, you don't need a certain number of players, and you can play with serious gamers or family.... that is awesome. Only a small list of games would EVER win against Arkham.

Dune isnt' it.

Everyone, let's overthrow our tyrannical wanna be leaders. They're old and going blind.

Vote Arkham

Arkham Horror

More
07 Oct 2009 18:41 #44100 by OldHippy
maka wrote:

Hey, he means Arkham Horror... not Avalon Hill. Carefull how you write here. The bastards will twist your words to get a win in this one.

More
07 Oct 2009 18:43 - 07 Oct 2009 18:44 #44101 by Hatchling
JonJacob wrote:

maka wrote:

Hey, he means Arkham Horror... not Avalon Hill. Carefull how you write here. The bastards will twist your words to get a win in this one.

I believe Maka is more than able to speak for himself about his support for AH and/or Dune.
Last edit: 07 Oct 2009 18:44 by Hatchling.

More
07 Oct 2009 18:45 #44102 by clockwirk
Hatchling wrote:

Wait a minute, I see what's going on here!

Grudunza wrote:

Bla bla bla

Arkham Horror

JonJacob wrote:

Bla bla bla

Arkham Horror

metalface13 wrote:

Bla bla bla

Arkham Horror

Mr Skeletor wrote:

Bla bla bla

Arkham Horror

timeLESS wrote:

Bla bla bla

Arkham Horror

Shellhead wrote:

Bla bla bla

Arkham Horror

Etc..
Etc..

IT'S ALL A BIG JOKE!! HAHA! VERY FUNNY!

You guys crack me up.

Bla bla bla

ARKHAM HORROR

More
07 Oct 2009 18:47 #44103 by mjl1783
Wow... That many AH votes, huh?

Fucking embarassing.

Vote: Dune

More
07 Oct 2009 19:26 - 07 Oct 2009 19:30 #44106 by DeletedUser
Vote: Arkham Horror

Attachments:
Last edit: 07 Oct 2009 19:30 by DeletedUser.

More
07 Oct 2009 19:42 #44109 by Mr Skeletor
Page 11 and I have yet to hear whagt is so good about Dune.

Everyone keeps making these epic statements about how it was the gamechanger, how it changed the face of gaming forever - how exactly?

Someone on BGG yesterday said if Dune was released today it would be classified as a Euro. And you people are voting for this shit?

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.727 seconds