October 09, 2023
2546 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2741 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× WELCOME TO TRASHDOME!

This is part of a series of bloody matches to the death. Show support for your favorite game so it will do better in the fight. You can support it by writing why you think its the better game and more importantly by betting (i.e. voting for) it. Please make it clear for when I check the bets later. You have until Friday when I tally the bets and declare the winner. I will reserve my bet for any tie-breakers.

Although you should be familiar with both games, there is no rule that says you have to have played both of them. The only rule in Trashdome is this;

Two games enter! One game leaves!

Trashdome - Arkham Horror VS Dune

More
07 Oct 2009 20:06 #44111 by Aarontu
Mr Skeletor wrote:

Someone on BGG yesterday said if Dune was released today it would be classified as a Euro. And you people are voting for this shit?

I can just imagine it. BROWN PLANET. A clever area control game with very expensive brown wooden disc pieces. A brown with shades of brown box featuring fat floating pedo-lords sulking over the brown landscape. The names have been changed because they wouldn't actually be able to use the DUNE license, of course.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Oct 2009 20:11 #44113 by Schweig!
Mr Skeletor wrote:

Someone on BGG yesterday said if Dune was released today it would be classified as a Euro. And you people are voting for this shit?

Yeah ... those suckers are calling all the good games a Euro. The pieces of crap like SMALL WORLD get called a wargame.

More
07 Oct 2009 20:36 #44114 by mjl1783
Page 11 and I have yet to hear whagt is so good about Dune.

That's because it's page 11 and nobody's made a single compelling argument either against Dune, or for Arkham Horror.

Everyone keeps making these epic statements about how it was the gamechanger, how it changed the face of gaming forever - how exactly?

I doubt there's much truth to those statements, but it doesn't need to be a game changer to be a better game than AH, which it is in almost every way.

Someone on BGG yesterday said if Dune was released today it would be classified as a Euro.

What's your point? BGG could classify it as getting raped in the butt for all I care. I'd still pay for it.

More
07 Oct 2009 20:46 - 07 Oct 2009 20:48 #44115 by Hatchling
Mr Skeletor wrote:

Page 11 and I have yet to hear whagt is so good about Dune.

Everyone keeps making these epic statements about how it was the gamechanger, how it changed the face of gaming forever - how exactly?

My point was about the assymetry. What I like about the asymmetry is that the differences among the factions give each of them an edge at different moments. For instance, the Harkonnen have an edge in the early to mid game, and the Bene Gesserat have an edge in the endgame. But all the factions link together organically too. The combat is very suspenseful. The alliances allow people who are falling far behind the pack to have influence and possibly win. Also I love how the sanstorm influences everything -- war between factions is hightened by the natural world and naturally occuring catastrophes. What other game has all these intertwined dynamics? The interaction and interdependence of these dynamics is what gives it a narrative that is genuinely an extension of the interaction among players at the table, and not an artifice of flavour text or of pictures on cards.

While I'm sure a number of people can go on and on about Dune's awesomeness better than I can, it's vulgar to do so because you Akrham people won't listen. If only we could pour the light into your souls somehow and save you from yourselves. Instead we can only sit here and watch your roaring lunacy seethe and bubble as more of you jump of the AT cliff to spite Dune.
Last edit: 07 Oct 2009 20:48 by Hatchling.

More
07 Oct 2009 21:47 - 07 Oct 2009 22:12 #44121 by Space Ghost
Michael Barnes wrote:

I was willing to _turn my back to a friend_ to make the right vote here. And all I see are people constructing half-baked defenses of a great game, no doubt, but not one that can stand against the might DUNE. ARKHAM HORROR is a top ten AT game. DUNE is a top...two.

The only thing you are consistent in is your inconsistency. We know that DUNE has to be at least #2 because you went on and on about SPACE HULK being #1 -- hell, you even titled your review something along it being #1. Other threads you have said that COSMIC ENCOUNTER is top two. WTF? Only in your bullshit zombie movie, board game elitism world can we have three games in the Top 2. Your boredom with new design has made you attribute false memories to games that you haven't played in years. What you have is a big, black empty hole that you try to fill in trashdome by making half-baked arguments.

The Dune world is boring. The series has been co-opted by poor writing. Who gives a shit about spice on a desert world? Oh, that is so riveting. The theme fucking blows.

The first game with Asymmetric powers? That is why you old timer's like it? Try FOX & GEESE from 1400; DUNE was about 580 years late. Hell, try ROCK, PAPER, SCISSORS.

Dune = trying to remember your first kiss.
Arkham = getting laid four times a week.

Only losers who aren't getting the latter worry about the former. Vote Arkham.
Last edit: 07 Oct 2009 22:12 by Space Ghost.

More
07 Oct 2009 22:05 #44122 by jeb
Space Ghost wins the metaphor prize in this thread. That's a humdinger.

More
07 Oct 2009 22:12 #44124 by Amontillado
In fairness, some of the whippersnappers may not have a great deal of experience with the one of the rarest, and oldest, of AT titles. I myself have none, and I'm old enough to have played it in my youth (had it ever been around).

That said, I don't vote for a game unless I've played it. AH is an awesome game, one of the best I've played. I hope to try Dune someday myself. Having not tried both, I'll withhold my vote.

More
07 Oct 2009 22:30 #44129 by clockwirk
Pnumekin wrote:

In fairness, some of the whippersnappers may not have a great deal of experience with the one of the rarest, and oldest, of AT titles. I myself have none, and I'm old enough to have played it in my youth (had it ever been around).

That said, I don't vote for a game unless I've played it. AH is an awesome game, one of the best I've played. I hope to try Dune someday myself. Having not tried both, I'll withhold my vote.

Hey, just the fact that you can't easily play/obtain a copy of Dune was influential in my voting. Arkham Horror is alive and breathing and I can play it any time I want. If Dune isn't readily available, that's a strike against it in my book.

More
07 Oct 2009 22:49 - 07 Oct 2009 22:50 #44131 by Aarontu
Pnumekin wrote:

No one ever looked on in the THUNDERDOME and said "Well, the first contestant is certainly a fine and upstanding individual, and I do hope he isn't disemboweled, but I don't know the other gentlman at all so I'll withhold my support for either. Good show!"
Last edit: 07 Oct 2009 22:50 by Aarontu.

More
07 Oct 2009 23:03 #44137 by Mr Skeletor
"The Dune world is boring. The series has been co-opted by poor writing. Who gives a shit about spice on a desert world? Oh, that is so riveting. The theme fucking blows."

Dune is still one of the only books I never finished. I'll have to give it another go one day but christ it was unengaging.

More
07 Oct 2009 23:25 #44139 by Hatchling
Pnumekin wrote:

Naw dude, you must vote. This is trashdome, the place where balance and fairplay are distractions. I haven't played Arkham Horror, but still I've voted for Dune. In fact, that's what you have to do if you've only played one of the games.

More
07 Oct 2009 23:40 #44141 by kookoobah
Hatchling wrote:

Naw dude, you must vote. This is trashdome, the place where balance and fairplay are distractions. I haven't played Arkham Horror, but still I've voted for Dune. In fact, that's what you have to do if you've only played one of the games.

I haven't played Dune, but I voted for it, and I've played Arkham Horror. The Trashdome allows such insanity!

Given enough money, would guys rather buy a copy of Dune/retheme of Dune or the new Arkham Horror minis?

More
07 Oct 2009 23:43 #44142 by Ancient_of_MuMu
Mr Skeletor wrote:

"The Dune world is boring. The series has been co-opted by poor writing. Who gives a shit about spice on a desert world? Oh, that is so riveting. The theme fucking blows."

Dune is still one of the only books I never finished. I'll have to give it another go one day but christ it was unengaging.

Couldn't agree more. I love the Lynch film, but it took several goes to get through the book. Everyone I know that has read it loved it except me, but I can't work out what they see in the damn thing.

More
08 Oct 2009 00:09 #44143 by Mad Malthus
10 Reasons Dune is superior to Arkham Horror:

1. It's a competitive strategy game.
2. It has a living economy working inside the game.
3. Traitors.
4. Each faction gets one (seemingly) game-breaking, unbalanced, overpowered, "cheap" advantage.
5. Despite #4, the game is well balanced.
6. The theme is welded to the mechanics better than any other game in existance, despite having started off as a game set in ancient Rome. This is what really sets it apart from a Euro.
7. Giant worms (OK so Arkham Horror has a lot of giant tentacles...)
8. Sandstorms (OK so Arkham Horror has a lot of fog...)
9. It's cheaper (if you count the expansions...)
10. It stands on the strength of its gameplay, not the quality of its components.

All that said, Dune looks like absolute shit, the alliance rules are fucked up, and a couple of the cards could be tweaked.

More
08 Oct 2009 05:14 - 08 Oct 2009 05:15 #44159 by southernman
THE Reason Arkham Horror may be superior to Dune:

1. It ended up stomping Dune in the Trashdome.
Last edit: 08 Oct 2009 05:15 by southernman.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.343 seconds