October 09, 2023
2552 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2751 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What TV SHOWS are you watching ARCHIVE

More
04 Oct 2013 02:12 #162400 by Black Barney
Daily Show (it's a religion for me watching this even though I enjoy it less than I used to)
A Game of Thrones (missed 2nd half of season 2 but other than that, i'm caught up)
SNL when I can. I tried the season premiere with the six new cast members, AWFUL. Miley Cyrus is hosting the next one and is musical guest. That can't be good. I hope she doesn't stick her tongue out...or twerk....ah who am I kidding, there's no way I'll watch that.

reruns of Star Trek:tNG whenever it is on. First Contact was on today! (not the movie, the episode (so much better)).

I don't watch shows anymore really, I'm always picking up on movies that are halfway done. Those Bourne movies sure play alot. yeeesh

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Oct 2013 02:24 #162401 by Dr. Mabuse
Hemlock Grove (Netflix): TUH-URD.

Overused horror tropes, shit scripts, awful acting (Famke Janssen's British accent is on par with Dick Van Dyke's) but amazing gore special effects.

More
04 Oct 2013 02:39 - 04 Oct 2013 03:14 #162402 by OldHippy
My favourite show of the last few years has definitely been Louie. Just finished season 3 and am excited to watch season 4. What I love about it more than anything is the lack of humour... for a comedy it has a shocking amount of really, really not funny moments. It's not a drama or a comedy really and it's incredibly surreal, which I dig, but it can be as funny as anything else on TV on occasion too. It just doesn't rely on it is all. Such a well rounded, well directed, well scripted and all out ballsy show. It refuses to conform to any idea of what a show should be and I like that aspect a lot.

I also really enjoy that it's episodic, I'm kind of sick of TV being these big long 6 season things you have to watch in order. I miss the looseness of Old Trek, Twilight Zone, Amazing Stores (a Twilight Zone knock off from the 80's that was pretty good) and I wish that when TV started getting smarter they didn't insist on tying everything up all the time or making it happen in order. You don't have to make sense all the time, it's nice to drop in and out.

I watch Game of Thrones too and really enjoy it, Breaking Bad I just started, literally only seen the first episode. Looks good but with everyone around me all hyped and discussing the finale it's hard to get into. I feel late to the party.
Last edit: 04 Oct 2013 03:14 by OldHippy.

More
04 Oct 2013 03:00 #162404 by Mr. White
I'm generally not a fan of TV shows, particularly ones that go for multiple season like JJ mentioned. ROME was the last one I stuck with all the way through. 2 seasons and done. Perfect.

My wife however has picked up quite a few shows over the years. She'll do an episode a night to unwind, so I usually catch what's going on. They're shows such as the Office, Glee, Mindy Project, and New Girl.

You mad bros?

More
04 Oct 2013 04:41 - 04 Oct 2013 04:50 #162411 by tin0men
Hmmm, I've been trying to trim the cruft -- get rid of stuff that I've been watching for years due to simple inertia ; try to get the time put into better options, rather than TV. Something to show for the time, aside from being another hour older...

So the Tivo currently has: (no particular order)
*Low Winter Sun (liking it so far 3 eps stacked to watch)
*Agents of Shield (I've got to sit down and watch the first 2 eps)
*The Blacklist - liking it fairly well, 2 eps in
*Breaking Bad - I've got like a couple of seasons to get through; sort of parked it, and haven't gotten back to it yet.
*Sleepy Hollow - watched first 2 eps; it's moving rapidly toward the bit bucket. Pretty much lost me moving to modern, way too quickly.
*Copper - OK, it's a long way from accurate history, but I like the throw-back knuckle-dragging approach to policing. Don't like 'em, shoot em.
*Defiance - 4 eps parked; watching it with my 10yo off & on. It's genre, but doesn't really 'grab' me, in terms of story etc. Doesn't help it's got a lot of characters, and so many psuedo-human races, that don't make a lot of sense - hell the entire backstory seems to not make a lot of sense.
*Elementary - 2 eps of the new season. Though I'm a huge Sherlock fan, this one I've been enjoying a LOT. There's also a lot to be said for the show that's actually on more often than a few episodes a couple times a year. :P
*Falling Skys - 10eps parked - hey, I've actually liked this one a lot better than Defiance. *shrug*, but I'm determined to winnow down some of the other accumulated stuff before wading back into it.
*Haven - 3 new eps, this could drift into the bin, but I did enjoy the end of the last season well enough.
*The 'family fare' (watch em with my son): The Middle, Modern Family, Parenthood
*Person of Interest - 2 eps. I really enjoyed most of last season, hell, I'd love to see them spin off the female alter-ego of John, into another show. :D
*Revolution - still 2 old eps to finish slogging through. This ones a survivor of near cruft - should have had a lot going for it, but they've gone into the weeds so frequently, they've managed to make the end of the world look boring...
*Sons of Anarchy - 4 new eps -- loves the Sons!
*Big Bang Theory - fallen way behind, but I watch it with my son & enjoy the geek humor. :D

Stuff that's not on right now, that I'm looking forward to coming back:
*The Vikings - absolutely badass!
*The Walking Dead goes without saying.
*Hannibal - was pretty good, good to survive another season.
*Ripper Street - the eps ran hot & cold, but there were some solid ones in there, that let it make the cut
*Mad Men - yea, what can I say.
*Orphan Black - For genre, it's mainly the acting, there's not a lot there beyond the 'mystery'. But I enjoyed it a lot.
*American Horror Story: Coven - I'm hoping to hell this season is as good as the first - they substantially lost me last season, in the asylum.
*Supernatural - takes a licking, keeps ticking. A lot of silly, but I still pick 'em out and watch 'em first when they're on.
*Justified - this one should probably get cut; but then you get lines like, "Next one’s comin’ faster", and I'm back in again.

Items I used to watch and jettisoned as just not that engaging:
Once Upon a Time,
Grimm,
Warehouse 13,
Under the Dome.
Last edit: 04 Oct 2013 04:50 by tin0men.

More
04 Oct 2013 05:27 - 04 Oct 2013 05:28 #162415 by ThirstyMan
Friends at work tell me Big Bang Theory has gone rapidly downhill. They say the Sheldon character is now just a whiner and it isn't really funny any more. Had its day.

I haven't watched it for quite a while....

Is that the opinion of you guys?
Last edit: 04 Oct 2013 05:28 by ThirstyMan.

More
04 Oct 2013 05:49 #162417 by Disgustipater

ThirstyMan wrote: Friends at work tell me Big Bang Theory has gone rapidly downhill. They say the Sheldon character is now just a whiner and it isn't really funny any more. Had its day.

I haven't watched it for quite a while....

Is that the opinion of you guys?

It got bad for me a while ago when they all got girlfriends and a lot of the stories revolved around them.

More
04 Oct 2013 14:20 #162439 by Legomancer
tin0men mentioned Elementary, which is another one of the few shows I watch regularly. In a lot of ways it's fairly typical broadcast TV cop stuff, but I like the characterization of the leads a lot. I actually prefer it to Sherlock, even though I know that's considered heresy.

Waiting for Justified to start up again in January. Last season was uneven, but it's still a good show.

More
04 Oct 2013 15:31 #162450 by Sagrilarus
Yeah, the characters in Elementary are just beautifully developed and presented. I never considered Liu that talented an actor, but she carries the lead in Elementary exceptionally well.

S.

More
04 Oct 2013 16:13 #162453 by mikecl

Black Barney wrote: Daily Show (it's a religion for me watching this even though I enjoy it less than I used to)

Same. I tape it so I never miss an episode.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
04 Oct 2013 17:18 - 06 Oct 2013 14:52 #162458 by ChristopherMD
Shows I'm keeping up with (more or less);

Haven
Once Upon A Time
Game of Thrones
Walking Dead
Supernatural
Downton Abbey
Continuum
Hell On Wheels

Haven't liked Agents of SHIELD so far but I like the MCU so I'll stick with it until it gets cancelled.

Sad that Breaking Bad is over.
Last edit: 06 Oct 2013 14:52 by ChristopherMD.

More
04 Oct 2013 20:18 - 04 Oct 2013 20:18 #162465 by Joebot

Mad Dog wrote:
Haven't liked Agents of SHIELD so far but I like the MCU so I'll stick with it until it gets cancelled.

My thoughts exactly. SHIELD is just so incredibly, relentlessly BLAND. It feels ... I dunno, "small" I guess. The cast isn't nearly strong enough to carry the weak scripts. I'll stick with it for a little while, but it needs to get a lot better, fast.

On the flip side of that ... I have ONE episode left of Fringe to watch. This show completely flew under my radar when it was on the air, but I have been enjoying the shit out of it on Amazon Prime. Walter Bishop is an amazing character. Great show, and I'm very sad to be almost done with it.
Last edit: 04 Oct 2013 20:18 by Joebot.

More
04 Oct 2013 20:24 #162467 by Hatchling
I just started watching Homeland on netflix. Seems really good!

More
05 Oct 2013 19:50 #162500 by ThirstyMan
Ahh thanks for that. Didn't know it was on Netflix. Is that US Netflix, UK or Canada?

More
05 Oct 2013 20:42 #162507 by Mr. White

Mad Dog wrote: Supernatural

Is Supernatural still on? How's that show shaking out? I caught the first season, but wasn't able to stay with it for any regularity after that. Is it worth going through a few early seasons?

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.272 seconds