October 09, 2023
2551 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2748 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What TV SHOWS are you watching ARCHIVE

More
08 Oct 2013 14:45 #162665 by Gregarius

hotseatgames wrote: My issue with the Walking Dead is that I hate every character. I root for the zombies.

I can understand this, although I don't totally agree.

We just finished up Season 3 on Netflix, and I had a big debate with my wife about what an asshole Sheriff Rick is.
"But he lost his wife! He's in shock! He's mourning!" she says.
"What!?" I says, "He was an asshole before that. Don't you remember 'This is not a democracy' from the end of last season?"

I was really hoping he'd have some kind of comeuppance that season, but coming into contact with the certified sociopath asshole Governor finally brought him back to normal, I guess.

Speaking of which, there is No Way that the Governor wasn't a serial killer before the zombie apocalypse. I just don't buy it that he was normal before.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Oct 2013 15:13 #162668 by mikecl
Rick's wasn't always a dick. As Sheriff he's a natural leader and the group needed one to survive. Toward the end of Season 2 he was at the end of his rope after having to kill his buddy Shane (who would have killed him) and watching his son Carl having to finish him off when Shane turned into a zombie...only to then be later spurned by his wife Lori who was carrying Shane's kid.

So....that might change someone's personality no? In Season 3 he completes his descent by losing his mind. He's not so much a dick as he is a tragic hero in the classic Greek sense of the word.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gregarius

More
08 Oct 2013 15:23 #162669 by Shellhead
Checked out Cowboy Bebop from the library, and have watched the first four episodes so far. I enjoy the music, and I can see the influence on Firefly, but otherwise I am not really enjoying it much so far. The characters lack depth, so I just don't care much about anything that happens to them. The stories are frantically paced, but not caring about the characters makes the stories less engaging.

More
08 Oct 2013 15:56 #162671 by hotseatgames
I love Cowboy Bebop. It was one of the first anime series I watched, and you can see its influence in a lot of places. If you watch more episodes, you'll see episodes focused on each character, which may make you care about them more.

Spike Spiegel is one of my favorite anime characters, ever.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead

More
08 Oct 2013 19:04 #162684 by ChristopherMD
Changing it from a Democracy to a Ricktatorship was the right thing to do. He had just finished dealing with Shane questioning eveything and doing shit on his own that caused problems. Rick can be an asshole but not on the level that Shane was. And the actor has carried some amazing scenes.

Cowboy Bebop is classic. The episodes with the Vicious/Julia storyline in them are by far the best ones. Everything else is really filler although there's some great filler episodes too.

More
08 Oct 2013 19:54 #162689 by Ska_baron
I swore there was a TWD thread, but cant find it despite searching.

Just flew through the second half of season 3 on netflix - BEST season yet. Love the progression of all the characters (even when they do stuff you hate). They just keep getting beaten down and it's how they all CHOOSE to respond. You can be pushed to the brink and still live by a decent code of honor or you can be pushed and torture, instill fear and hate, etc. Great thoughts about free will in the series.

And c'mon - can anyone really hate Daryl???
The following user(s) said Thank You: mikecl, Gregarius

More
08 Oct 2013 20:16 #162693 by Black Barney
I hate Daryl because my wife puts posters of him all over the house and her Facebook.

Gregarius, there's a novel giving a prequel to the genesis of the Governor. It's actually totally decent, i enjoyed it. Worth reading if you want to know how he came to be what he is.

More
08 Oct 2013 21:00 - 08 Oct 2013 21:02 #162699 by SuperflyPete
Rick is a dick, but he's the CO that's keeping the troops alive. If you want to look at what democracy does, just look at the US government for the last 30 years.

Read up on the Governor. He's not actually Philip, he's Philip's brother. Philip was fucked in the head and Brian (the brother who is actually the Gubnah) killed his brother and snapped like a dry twig.
walkingdead.wikia.com/wiki/The_Walking_D...Rise_of_the_Governor

Gregarius wrote:

hotseatgames wrote: My issue with the Walking Dead is that I hate every character. I root for the zombies.

I can understand this, although I don't totally agree.

We just finished up Season 3 on Netflix, and I had a big debate with my wife about what an asshole Sheriff Rick is.
Speaking of which, there is No Way that the Governor wasn't a serial killer before the zombie apocalypse. I just don't buy it that he was normal before.

Daryl is my favorite character. He's me. Loyal to a fault and willing to do pretty much whatever it takes to protect his "family". Although I have to admit, I might have a Merle streak if the shit hit the fan.
Last edit: 08 Oct 2013 21:02 by SuperflyPete.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gregarius

More
09 Oct 2013 09:48 #162727 by tscook
Frontline and POV were both incredible tonight, Frontline covering how fucking depressing and scummy football really is and POV covering a Brooklyn public school chess club.

More
09 Oct 2013 11:41 #162729 by Black Barney
Pete, you should put spoilers on that post. Who the governor actually is is the big reveal of the book. You actually sort of feel him snap at the end, it's pretty intense. Worth reading if you like the character and the show a bit.

More
21 Oct 2013 12:39 - 21 Oct 2013 12:40 #163451 by hotseatgames
I finished watching Orange is the New Black. For a short review, they should have called it Orange is the New Boring. Very little happens over the course of 13 episodes, and if you expecting Oz levels of drama, you can forget it. Some of the inmate back-stories are interesting, but they take too long to dole them out, and often don't give them the proper payoff they deserve.

While it's still a watchable show, it's really not worth the time it takes to watch it. I think it would have been much better if they had made it with no intention of a second season.
Last edit: 21 Oct 2013 12:40 by hotseatgames.

More
25 Oct 2013 14:28 #163818 by tscook
I marathoned Attack on Titan, and holy shit it is good. As long as you don't actively hate anime for whatever reason you will enjoy it. Atmospherically it is perfect, and the creepy antagonists actually work as creepy antagonists which is extremely fucking rare.

More
25 Oct 2013 15:14 #163824 by the_jake_1973
On a lark, the wife and I started watching Arrow on Netflix. It is not a bad show, surprisingly.

More
25 Oct 2013 17:35 #163839 by hotseatgames
I watched a few episodes of VEEP. That show is hilarious! Definitely worth your time.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mikecl

More
27 Oct 2013 05:03 #163905 by Disgustipater
I started watching The League. I don't give a shit about fantasy football, or football in general, but I find it pretty hilarious. Maybe because it kind of reminds me of my group of friends.

The first episode is a bit weak, but it really takes off after that.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.328 seconds