October 09, 2023
2521 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2723 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What games are you BUYING? ARCHIVE

More
01 Feb 2010 09:26 - 01 Feb 2010 09:28 #54453 by Dr. Mabuse
Sagrilarus wrote:

Dr_Mabuse wrote:

RECEIVED IN TRADE:
Circus Maximus

Which version of Circus Maximus?

It's the Avalon Hill edition. Why do you ask, have you played both?
Last edit: 01 Feb 2010 09:28 by Dr. Mabuse.
The topic has been locked.
More
01 Feb 2010 10:20 #54458 by san il defanso
The last two games I bought were Small World and Roll Through The Ages. RttA is in transit from Funagain currently. Small World has gotten a TON of play.

Cosmic Incursion is right around the corner!
More
01 Feb 2010 11:28 #54467 by Sagrilarus
Dr_Mabuse wrote:

Sagrilarus wrote:

Dr_Mabuse wrote:

RECEIVED IN TRADE:
Circus Maximus

I just picked up The Gamers version (comes in a ziplock bag) for $10 at MMP's convention and was preparing to be envious.

S.
More
01 Feb 2010 11:44 #54471 by Dr. Mabuse
Sagrilarus wrote:

Dr_Mabuse wrote:

Sagrilarus wrote:

Dr_Mabuse wrote:

RECEIVED IN TRADE:
Circus Maximus

I just picked up The Gamers version (comes in a ziplock bag) for $10 at MMP's convention and was preparing to be envious.

S.

I looked it up and read that your version (Circus Minimus) is a more tightened ruleset than Maximus. It looks like similar components so I may try to track down Mins. rules and see if it's adaptable.
More
01 Feb 2010 11:53 #54474 by dragonstout
mjl1783 wrote:

Now, I'm trying to just stick to trading for what I want, which at the moment, is Up Front, Kremlin, and not much else. I just offered some dude on BGG both Combat Commander games, BattleLore, C&C:A, and Tide of Iron with the desert expansion and scenario book for his Up Front. I really hope he takes it...

Christ, is Up Front really worth all that much? I just traded a German copy of Die Macher for it, pretty recently too. I'd make that trade with you in a second, if 1) I (and my wife, too!) didn't love Up Front so much, and 2) those games didn't all suck (except for Tide of Iron, which I like).
More
01 Feb 2010 12:37 #54478 by mjl1783
I'd make that trade with you in a second, if 1) I (and my wife, too!) didn't love Up Front so much, and 2) those games didn't all suck

So, you make a point of telling me that you have the game, that it's great, that your wife plays it with you, and that I'm probably stuck with all these lousy games?

Way to make a brother feel like swallowin' a bullet, drag. And I thought we were buds.
More
01 Feb 2010 15:07 #54488 by dragonstout
Nah, I mean, if the guy you're trying to trade with really has all those games on his want list, I can't IMAGINE him not trading Up Front to you for all that shit. I mean, you're trying to trade like $200 of games (more than that, if we're talking about retail prices). Up Front isn't worth $200; hell, I think you can regularly get it on eBay for something like $60 (almost double that if it's got any expansions, though). Does he have the expansions? My Macher-trade threw in the Banzai expansion for free as a surprise. (Just had to rub it in a little further.)
More
01 Feb 2010 17:04 #54503 by LilRed
Planning on buying Runewars just waiting a on a little more feedback from the community before actually buying.

Then there are the Okko expansions which are both cheap and I'm an Okko fanboy.

Rest of my money is probably going to AT-43. Army Boxes for the win. I really want more people to pick this up. Rackham is a bit crazy but I love the sculpts, the rules and the fluff. Plus the no hassle of it. I had been laying low on the AT-43 stuff for a while and was contemplating on W40k. But then I realized I have not much love for the whole "gothic" in sci fi setting so went back to my old love.
More
01 Feb 2010 17:18 - 01 Feb 2010 17:26 #54506 by Schweig!
I'm not planning to make any further game purchases, since I have recently bought Successors and my P500 copy of Caucasus '42 arrived. I have turned into a 100% GMT fanboy.

dragonstout wrote:

mjl1783 wrote:

Now, I'm trying to just stick to trading for what I want, which at the moment, is Up Front, Kremlin, and not much else. I just offered some dude on BGG both Combat Commander games, BattleLore, C&C:A, and Tide of Iron with the desert expansion and scenario book for his Up Front. I really hope he takes it...

Christ, is Up Front really worth all that much?

No, it is not. I traded in for a mint condition Up Front (played once) one game (Korean War, VG) which cost me €40 in shrink. Well, I then dropped another €65 to buy the two Up Front expansions in shrink, but that's a different story. Yes, Up Front is one of my Top 3 favourite games, so I sincerely hope you'll like it as much as I do since you're unloading so many games to get it.

LilRed wrote:

Rest of my money is probably going to AT-43. Army Boxes for the win. I really want more people to pick this up. Rackham is a bit crazy but I love the sculpts, the rules and the fluff. Plus the no hassle of it. I had been laying low on the AT-43 stuff for a while and was contemplating on W40k. But then I realized I have not much love for the whole "gothic" in sci fi setting so went back to my old love.

Does Rakham still exist? I thought FFG took over all rights to AT-43 (not just distribution rights for North America).
Last edit: 01 Feb 2010 17:26 by Schweig!.
More
01 Feb 2010 17:28 #54510 by metalface13
FFG dropped the Rackham stuff a while ago. That's why they've been selling the AT-43 and Confrontation stuff so cheap the past few holiday sales.
More
01 Feb 2010 19:31 - 01 Feb 2010 19:59 #54531 by KingPut

Sagrilarus wrote: I'm inches away from pre-ordering Founding Fathers. Anyone care to push me one direction or the other? I love the subject matter and it certainly has a fine pedigree.

There's no way I'd pay even $80 for We the People. I'm interested in Founding Fathers but for me it's play first before I'll buy it. Jason Mathews games have been getting lighter and lighter. I think there will be enough copies floating around that I won't need to buy a copy.
Last edit: 01 Feb 2010 19:59 by KingPut.
More
01 Feb 2010 19:41 #54532 by DeletedUser
In the last month I have purchased or received:
  • Cutthroat Caverns: Relics and Ruin
  • Cutthroat Caverns: Tombs and Tomes
  • Twilight Struggle
  • The Isle of Doctor Necreaux
  • LoTR The Confrontation Deluxe Edition
I still have a fairly long wishlist at present, but the games I intend to buy in the next two months are:
  • Cosmic Incursion
  • Runewars
More
01 Feb 2010 19:49 - 01 Feb 2010 19:49 #54534 by Mr. White
Looking to buy Caveman and Cosmic Incursion,trade for Martian Rails, and see how much I miss painting by painting up a friend's Space Hulk. If I like it, I'll buy some Necrons.
Last edit: 01 Feb 2010 19:49 by Mr. White.
More
01 Feb 2010 20:02 #54537 by Merkles
I'm going to buy the new Deluxe Twilight Struggle (traded my old game away for Dos de Mayo, Doom, and another game) and Long Shot (to play with my horse loving daughter and family) and thinking about maybe Horse Fair Card Game (again, family and daughter play--but not sure about this. Considering D-Day at Omaha Beach--solo wargame but I might just wait on that til I don't have my son to play in wargames any longer in 4-5 years...wouldn't mind hearing more about it.
More
01 Feb 2010 20:40 #54541 by dysjunct
Recent Buys:

Junta (Tanga version, never played it back in the day)

Dungeon Lords (rules read like a Euro, but it feels AT -- entire table was busting up laughing as dungeons got repeatedly trashed).

Endeavor (very streamlined, so light it could be a family game. Short and simple, no artificial wheels-within-wheels like Puerto Rico. Still pretty abstract, so might not have legs. We'll see.)
Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.488 seconds