October 09, 2023
2687 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2856 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What IOS games have you been playing? ARCHIVE

More
07 Sep 2011 18:57 - 07 Sep 2011 18:58 #102882 by TheDukester

jeb wrote: ItsTheDukester is a very forgiving man for tolerating my incredibly baroque playing styles.

No worries here. I've gotten used to the asynch rhythms of the game. Also, I play against a fair number of Europe-based players, so I've learned to go ahead and take my moves if I've got the time.

And, yeah, you just don't mess around with the Hedron Whatsihoosie ...
Last edit: 07 Sep 2011 18:58 by TheDukester.
The topic has been locked.
More
19 Oct 2011 21:58 #105927 by Grudunza
Announced by FFG... Elder Sign: Omens. www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=2751

But while Elder Sign: Omens brilliantly conveys the spirit of the Elder Sign dice game, a few noteworthy differences were adopted to to optimize the mobile play experience:

Arguably the most powerful Ancient One in Lovecraft’s Mythos, Azathoth’s awesome power is indisputable. This infinitely destructive deity is therefore the focal point of Elder Sign: Omens, and the only available Ancient One.
A number of subtle changes increase the peril of defending humanity. For example, the random negative effects drawn every midnight are more challenging, and the frequency of “no effect” results has been decreased. Monsters have likewise been altered to make them more difficult.
Finally, there are no Ally cards in Elder Sign: Omens, which further streamlines play while increasing the overall challenge.

It looks great, and I'm okay with the changes... I think I've only played the final battle twice, anyway (usually I win, or give up before then), and though Allies are cool, I don't think I'll miss them too much. If the difficulty is ramped up, then that's a good thing, IMO. I do hope they'll add some different GOOs at some point, whether the final battle is used or not, as the different GOO abilities during the game are good. Presumably, the programming would have been quite a bit more involved to add the GOO abilities and the final battle, but it won't surprise me if they're sold in an expansion package at some point.
More
19 Oct 2011 22:20 - 19 Oct 2011 22:36 #105933 by Gary Sax
If it's a slick package and isn't too pricey, I'll definitely buy it. I'd rather have it in this format than on the table honestly, since it's such a light filler. I would miss the tactile roll the dice feeling.
Last edit: 19 Oct 2011 22:36 by Gary Sax.
More
19 Oct 2011 22:53 #105939 by Grudunza
The price for iPhone/iPod Touch is $3.99, which I think is very reasonable for this kind of game from a major publisher (I was expecting it to be $4.99). iPad price is $6.99.

If you watch the video on the page I linked, it's definitely slick.
More
20 Oct 2011 00:12 #105949 by Gary Sax
It's a no brainer buy at that price for me.
More
20 Oct 2011 00:34 #105951 by Black Barney
jeez man, is there any thread for me for my Windows Phone 7? At least I know the games I play are very likely games also available for iOS. But games that you play are very likely not available on my WP7 :(

Anyway, I'm still playing lots of MINESWEEPER and FLOWERZ but this week's deal of the week is again PUZZLE QUEST 2 which I might buy for 5 bucks. I really hate that it cancels your current battle puzzle if you sleep your phone. That's SO Lame cuz some battles can take 15 minutes and I play on a commute
More
20 Oct 2011 08:18 #105970 by Matt Thrower

Grudunza wrote: The price for iPhone/iPod Touch is $3.99, which I think is very reasonable for this kind of game from a major publisher (I was expecting it to be $4.99). iPad price is $6.99.

Am I the only person that finds it deeply irritating that you have to pay again, and often extra, for an iPad version of a game that only has sharper graphics? I kind of feel that if you pay for an HD version you ought to get the iPhone version for free. And I don't even own an iPhone.
More
25 Oct 2011 20:30 - 25 Oct 2011 20:46 #106450 by dclose
Holy crap! The sequel to my favorite iPhone game went free for 24 hours:

itunes.apple.com/us/app/to-fu-2/id447059013?mt=8

I love the To-Fu: Trials of Chi series! If you enjoyed the first one, definitely grab this one too!

Last edit: 25 Oct 2011 20:46 by dclose. Reason: Added link to video.
More
03 Nov 2011 10:15 - 03 Nov 2011 10:28 #107069 by Bullwinkle
Anyone tried out Elder Signs: Omens yet? It's out for iPhone. Still waiting on iPad. Looks like it's not a universal app.

EDIT: Now I see it also comes with only one GOO and no allies. And to think I saw CP defending FFG's digital strategy somewhere.
Last edit: 03 Nov 2011 10:28 by Bullwinkle.
More
03 Nov 2011 10:34 #107070 by Matt Thrower
So King of Dragon Pass for iOS was on sale, and I bought it. Played the tutorial, got confused, ignored it for a bit. Last night I was tired and had nothing useful I could or felt like doing so I put on some rubbish TV and skimmed through the manual to get some grasp of what I was supposed to do. When my wife went to bed I started a new game, telling her I'd be up in ten minutes. It took an hour and a half before my eyes even flicked up to check the clock on the iPad.

(Although I've just discovered that apparently there's an iPad only version in the pipeline, which is very aggravating. I hope they'll at least offer a discount to people who bought the universal version having read an iPad specific one was unlikely)
More
03 Nov 2011 10:44 #107071 by Bullwinkle

MattDP wrote: (Although I've just discovered that apparently there's an iPad only version in the pipeline, which is very aggravating. I hope they'll at least offer a discount to people who bought the universal version having read an iPad specific one was unlikely)

According to what I've seen, the devs said they were looking to make it universal, not iPad only.
More
03 Nov 2011 10:54 #107072 by Matt Thrower

Bullwinkle wrote: According to what I've seen, the devs said they were looking to make it universal, not iPad only.

Yes, that's what I'd understood. Which is why the sudden change of direction is so infuriating.

toucharcade.com/2011/10/31/king-of-drago...ersion-in-the-works/

kingofdragonpass.blogspot.com/
More
03 Nov 2011 11:04 #107074 by Bullwinkle
They haven't changed direction. Both of those say the same thing as they've always said: they're aiming to make it universal, but can't make any promises, since they've only been coding for two days.
More
03 Nov 2011 11:15 #107076 by Mr Skeletor

Bullwinkle wrote: Anyone tried out Elder Signs: Omens yet? It's out for iPhone. Still waiting on iPad. Looks like it's not a universal app.

EDIT: Now I see it also comes with only one GOO and no allies. And to think I saw CP defending FFG's digital strategy somewhere.

Yes. I'm fucking hooked on it. The game isn't a direct port (there are more than a few rule changes) and it's slick as shit. Some people have been complaining of crashes but I've clocked in around 10 games and haven't had a problem (using the 4S)
Probably the best boardgame ios app i have played.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bullwinkle, OldHippy
More
03 Nov 2011 11:18 #107078 by Matt Thrower

Bullwinkle wrote: They haven't changed direction. Both of those say the same thing as they've always said: they're aiming to make it universal, but can't make any promises, since they've only been coding for two days.

I'm confused. Are they saying this is a potential future update to the game then, or a new version that existing owners will need to pay for? And if they don't manage to make it universal and end up releasing an iPad only version, will existing owners be able to download and play both without paying extra?

(One side effect that I never expected from owning an iPad is that I'm now planning on getting an iPhone when my current contract expires. It seems stupid not to, since I've paid for a number of apps I can use on both).
Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.235 seconds