October 09, 2023
2543 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2738 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What IOS games have you been playing? ARCHIVE

More
07 Feb 2011 19:48 #87080 by Bullwinkle
Grudunza wrote:

It'll save your game where you left off if you have to exit out of the program... but as far as I can tell there isn't a function where you can save it at a particular spot, so if you die afterwards you could come back to that point. That's what I would like. I wouldn't consider it a dealbreaker without that, either. It's still pretty great as it is. But it just seems like you have to slog through the same boring early part every time to get to where it's more interesting, and I'd like to be able to skip that.

Oh, I see, thanks. That does sound better, although when I pick it up, I imagine I'll be annoyed by the same thing. That's why I don't play roguelikes without saving.
The topic has been locked.
More
08 Feb 2011 01:38 - 02 Jun 2011 02:49 #87094 by Grudunza
Battle of Gundabad : Dominion retheme/rip-off, and an excellent one. It plays very well and the AI is pretty good so far. Not sure why they bothered to change the VP value of the victory cards, when everything else is exactly the same... but anyway, hopefully some official apps for Dominion, Thunderstone, and others can't be far behind, eh?

Last edit: 02 Jun 2011 02:49 by ubarose.
More
08 Feb 2011 13:12 #87128 by OldHippy
I've been playing Shift2. Which is better then the first one in pretty much all ways. I liked the first game but it was really short. This one has better puzzles and more bells and whistles. Basically it's a one screen at a time puzzle game and you can "shift" the way your viewing it. You either stand on the black, or shift, and stand on the white which changes everything. A staircase up becomes a staircase down. It's a really clever little mechanic and it changes the way you look at a screen. Your job is to exit out the door which is in some inaccesible place each screen. Great game.
More
08 Feb 2011 13:26 #87130 by Michael Barnes
Whoa, thanks for the heads-up on Gundabad...d/l now...

So I got Puzzlevania before they pulled it. Puzzle Fighter-inspired falling block game with a spooky gothic horror theme. Yep, in my wheelhouse. It looks great, plays great, but it has a nasty crash bug where the blocks fall out of the pit and it dumps you to desktop. They took it off the other day for repairs. It should be a good one though.

League of Evil is a must-buy if you like Super Meat Boy. Very similar in concept. Not quite as difficult and the controls aren't terrible, surprisingly.

Been playing Atlantis Sky Patrol...it's a ball-shooter like Zuma. Every now and then I get really addicted to this kind of thing. This is a good one with a cool deco style.
More
08 Feb 2011 15:10 #87150 by Michael Barnes
Whoa. If you're interested in Gundabad, buy it NOW. I bet you dollars to donuts it gets pulled because it pretty much is a 1:1 version of Dominion. Which is really funny, because if a couple of guys can pull together a really freaking great IOS version of that game (and with a better theme) and put it up for $2, then what the FUCK is Rio Grande doing with the potential?

Yes, it's a "ripoff"...but if RGG is going to twiddle their thumbs and pretend that video games don't exist, they deserve to be ripped off.

The game is really good. Good interface, competent AI, campaign and one-off games...I'm pretty surprised at the quality of it all.

But yeah, I give it a week.
More
08 Feb 2011 20:19 #87205 by Bullwinkle
I'm pretty sure you can't claim copyright on game mechanics.
More
09 Feb 2011 12:23 #87295 by Grudunza
Bullwinkle wrote:

I'm pretty sure you can't claim copyright on game mechanics.

That may be true, but in this case it's a pretty straight up ripoff of the content, not just the mechanics. It would be one thing to cop the mechanics... which is, in essence, "draw 5 cards, one action/one buy, reshuffle". But this also copies most of the exact card contents. They've reworded things, but it is the same exact thing. Kind of a crappy thing to do, really, and in principle I'd have preferred that they just made up new cards entirely (I think one or two of them are unique, or are changed from the Dominion set, but almost all of them are exact rips). But I do like Dominion, so I'm enjoying this for what it is, and that campaign is really tough to beat on some levels, so it's a good challenge.

Which is really funny, because if a couple of guys can pull together a really freaking great IOS version of that game (and with a better theme) and put it up for $2, then what the FUCK is Rio Grande doing with the potential?

Yes, it's a "ripoff"...but if RGG is going to twiddle their thumbs and pretend that video games don't exist, they deserve to be ripped off.

I don't know that I'd say that anyone deserves to be ripped off... it's still a shallow thing for this developer to cop it so closely... but you're right, RGG needs to get off their ass on this. The demand is huge, I'm sure, and I'd gladly pay for an official Dominion app. So make it happen, already!

I'm sure RGG reads F:AT, so no doubt the response will be quick, eh? :oP
More
09 Feb 2011 17:18 #87392 by Mr Skeletor
I love how the developer forgot that he changed coins to power when coding the other players moves, so the moves come out as "LOCKIE gets +1 COINS"
Whooops!

This game is cool but buggy as shit (at least for me.)
More
10 Feb 2011 15:45 #87540 by Michael Barnes
Frank, eventually you'll sort out that the best fun is in naming the games.

Capcom is doing a 99 cent sale like everybody else is. But they've put Street Fighter IV at a buck, and it's usually ten. And its...AWESOME! I'm _stunned_ at how good it is. I bought just because I love SF, I figured it would suck. The controls are actually really well done, it's easier to do a Shoryuken on the touch screen than it is with a 360 controller. Controls are simplified and move sets are pared down somewhat. There's a greatly reduced roster (mostly just the favorites), but the animation, artstyle, background, sounds, and so on are straight from the full game. It's a blast. Well worth one dollar, possibly worth ten all things considered.

May try that RE4 game for a buck.
More
10 Feb 2011 17:24 - 10 Feb 2011 17:29 #87551 by Mr Skeletor
Holy shit I think I'm starting to 'get' Dominion, and deckbuilding in general.
God help me I'm scared to continue.
Last edit: 10 Feb 2011 17:29 by Mr Skeletor.
More
10 Feb 2011 17:42 #87553 by Michael Barnes
Now my reading comprehension is in question, I thought you were still on about Game Dev Story...you were talking about Gundabad.

I haven't seen any bugs yet. FTR, my opponents are named Hitler, Goebbels, and Himmler. I always play against the Nazi high command when I have an opportunity to beat them.

Gundabad really, really shows how mechanical Dominion is and how it's disconnected from anything other players are doing, even with the take-that cards. It also demonstrates that the game may actually be more enjoyable WITHOUT human players involved, you build your deck, tool it up, and count points at the end and see how everybody did. You don't have to be F2F to do that.
More
10 Feb 2011 18:09 #87559 by OldHippy
Downloaded Gundabad thanks to you guys and it is really addicting. It's no more a Dominion rip-off then Kolonists is of Catan. I don't see how anyone could sue them successfully. Still, great game, well done AI. I'm not really sure what's going on theme-wise but I never was in Dominion either. I hope they add in expansions, companies need to keep up with that stuff. The Neuroshima Hex one needs an expansion badly at this point.
More
10 Feb 2011 18:15 #87560 by Mr Skeletor
No I was talking about Gundabad.
The "Hiltler gets +1 Coins" is an obvious bug, and basically an admission that they ripped off Dominion wholesale.
My copy hangs about every 10 minutes, and I have to jump out and jump back in to get it going again. I suspect there is a memory leak somewhere.
More
12 Feb 2011 16:13 #87739 by Bullwinkle
Dungeon Raid is on sale for $0.99 today.
More
12 Feb 2011 20:32 #87754 by Grudunza
Michael Barnes wrote:

Gundabad really, really shows how mechanical Dominion is and how it's disconnected from anything other players are doing, even with the take-that cards. It also demonstrates that the game may actually be more enjoyable WITHOUT human players involved, you build your deck, tool it up, and count points at the end and see how everybody did. You don't have to be F2F to do that.

It's true. It works better as a solitaire PC game, IMO. I like Dominion quite a lot for what it is, and in person it's as though you're hanging around with your friends or your grandmother playing rummy or whatever, so that's fine. But even inasmuch as there is some vague interaction with some cards, it's essentially still multiplayer solitaire in person and can feel very methodical. But on an iPhone or PC, that doesn't really matter at all.

There's a great PC version at this link: www.mediafire.com/file/733li3t4s3g7dky/dominion_20110110.zip It includes all of the expansions. Prosperity really stands out to me, because you now have the tough choice when you get 9+ coins of whether to get a Province or go for Platinums to try for the Colonies. Supposedly, RGG is making their own PC version (and presumably iOS), but man, they're lagging on this. I guess they very begrudgingly allowed this PC version to exist, with the limitation that none of the art be included. The substitute art is kind of cheesy, but the program works fine, which is what matters.

Now that Gundabad shows that this kind of thing will work fine on a mobile device, I'd like to see some other deck-building titles like Puzzle Strike implemented, or perhaps better yet, something completely original.
Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.253 seconds