October 09, 2023
2546 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2741 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What IOS games have you been playing? ARCHIVE

More
11 Nov 2010 16:57 #79272 by Grudunza
Indiana Jones and the Lost Puzzles: It's just a simple puzzle thing where you jump to different colored tiles to collect at least 3 in a row of a color, but what makes it great is the time constraint and the different challenges that escalate as you go along. It really does have an IJ kind of desperate feel to it when you're racing to get what you need in time.

Helsing's Fire: As mentioned by Bullwinkle above, this one is great. A perfect type of thing for the medium it's made for.

Some sports games...

NHL2K11: Disappointing, as I love hockey and by all rights this should be a great version, but I just cannot get the two thumb controllers to actually control the players well enough. It's too frustrating.

Madden NFL 11: Two thumb controllers again, but for whatever reason, they work well in this game and you can actually move around as intended.

Tiger Woods PGA Tour: I'm not really a golf player in person (big PITA when you suck at it), but I like computer golf games. This one would be terrific except for two problems; the short putts don't work... you have to give it almost 100% to get it to go in, maybe... and the spin control doesn't seem to work at all. You're supposed to flip this ball icon with your finger when the ball is in the air to give it spin in the direction you want, so it'll double back when it hits the green. Doesn't seem to work at all. I've upgraded my skills all the way, too, so there's no reason it shouldn't have some effect. Anyway, I've been playing this a lot, regardless, compensating as needed, and just won my first championship for a cool $100K.
The topic has been locked.
More
11 Nov 2010 17:06 #79273 by jeb
I managed to get the 300th star in CUT THE ROPE HD this AM. Very proud. I've been playing a little NEUROSHIMA HEX, and of course WORDS WITH FRIENDS. MattLoter has decided I am too powerful at CARCASSONNE. Il a peur de moi.
More
11 Nov 2010 18:12 #79281 by Mr Skeletor
jeb wrote:

MattLoter has decided I am too powerful at CARCASSONNE. Il a peur de moi.

So you 2 have been playing without me?
FUCKING CRAVEN!
More
19 Nov 2010 12:15 - 19 Nov 2010 12:16 #79840 by Grudunza
Star Wars Arcade: Falcon Runner is pretty good. If you have an iPhone or 4G iPod you can use the AR mode where your camera provides the background. I don't like the background thing so much... why would I want to see the walls of my bedroom when I'm supposed to be fighting in outer space? But what's cool is that if you're sitting on a swivel chair the game will adjust positioning based on how you move, so it really feels like you're sitting in the Millenium Falcon and gunning down Tie Fighters.

I'm interested in Lord of the Rings: Middle Earth Defense , but trying to resist buying it until the price comes down (currently at $6.99). I like good tower defense games, though I am kind of tired of them at this point... But the early reviews are good and it seems to add some new wrinkles (and the LOTR theme) to that genre.
Last edit: 19 Nov 2010 12:16 by Grudunza.
More
21 Nov 2010 10:23 #79929 by MattFantastic
Mr Skeletor wrote:

jeb wrote:

FUCKING CRAVEN!

I have decided nothing! Real life however, told me fuck right off and not have fun for a while.

Right now I'm mostly only playing Words With Friends, and only then keeping just a couple games going. I can't wait to be done with this bullshit and get back to drinking and gaming all the time.
More
21 Nov 2010 10:28 #79931 by ThirstyMan
Don't worry Loter, only 8 months to WBC and I'll kick your ass at both activities!!
More
21 Nov 2010 16:28 #79959 by Mr Skeletor
MattLoter wrote:

Mr Skeletor wrote:

jeb wrote:

FUCKING CRAVEN!

I have decided nothing! Real life however, told me fuck right off and not have fun for a while.

Right now I'm mostly only playing Words With Friends, and only then keeping just a couple games going. I can't wait to be done with this bullshit and get back to drinking and gaming all the time.

Hahaha, weren't you 'over' gaming, you fickle fuck?
My gaming time seems to have gone down the crapper as well.
More
21 Nov 2010 17:20 #79966 by MattFantastic
I was never over it, just surprised by how little I seemed to miss it at the time. I still don't miss it as much as I would have expected, possibly because at this point I'm mostly focused on the bigger picture of missing time to do anything.
More
24 Nov 2010 00:14 - 24 Nov 2010 00:18 #80188 by Grudunza
Dark Lords : Quite good. Reminds me of a flash browser game that Barnes recommended a while back... can't remember the name. I like the art style, and that you can play as either side.

Pigeon Squadron : Flying around dumping on people. Very amusing, and pretty challenging to hit the targets.

Rednecks vs. Aliens : Not bad... I'll admit I played it for over an hour. A lot of games I try for about 10 seconds and delete them, so this was better than many of its ilk.
Last edit: 24 Nov 2010 00:18 by Grudunza.
More
07 Dec 2010 22:08 #81436 by ChristopherMD
The AI in Ra sucks. I'm undefeated after enough games to realize it was a waste of $5. The interface isn't too great either.
More
21 Dec 2010 02:38 #82610 by Grudunza
Bang! : It works really well, though it only functions in the basic 5p solo mode for now... with several updates promised.

Battleline : Yet another Knizia app. I'd never played this 2p game before, and I like it. Good implementation.

Reiner Knizia's Labyrinth : Still yet another Knizia app, this time a pretty interesting puzzle game, where you have to arrange tiles in a way to both create and make it through a labyrinth.

Riese : Seems like it could be very cool... a tactical card-driven steampunk themed battle game. After one learning playthrough it's hard to say if it's got any real legs, but it seems very promising so far.

Still rockin' the Indiana Jones and the Lost Puzzles app after several weeks, so that one has been a big winner for me.
More
22 Dec 2010 17:45 #82822 by Grudunza
Has anybody played a computer version of Romance of the Three Kingdoms? It's on iPhone and looks like it might be great, but it's also $10, which seems outrageous compared to most apps. As I understand, it's based on an earlier computer game, but I'm not familiar with that. I'd like more info and encouragement before dropping the $10.

More
22 Dec 2010 21:47 #82828 by jeb
That looks nice, but the ridiculous sales for iApps have made paying $10 completely out of the question. I feel like I should complain about this somehow, but man I got some awesome stuff cheap.
More
23 Dec 2010 10:55 #82864 by usrlocal
I'm waiting for someone to make a hex-based Squad-Leader-like WW2 tactical game for iPhone/iPad. That would totally rock.
More
23 Dec 2010 13:17 #82889 by Michael Barnes
Never buy a $10 iPhone app. You will regret it, no matter what it is. There is no iPhone game that should be that much, regardless of content. Either it will go on sale for 99 cents or you won't get $10 of play out of it.

I have those new Knizia ones, they're good. The BATTLELINE AI is terrible though. I can beat it pretty squarely on the harder setting. LABYRINTH is a neat puzzle, it's the kind of thing that would suck in RL but it works well for the mobile format. I haven't gotten THROUGH THE DESERT yet, apparently there are some problems with it and it won't work on non-retina devices.

I picked up MIRROR'S EDGE for 99 cents. It's really good, sort of like a more complicated CANABALT. It does manage to capture the essence of the console game.

I also got LAND AIR SEA WARFARE, which is basically a streamlined TOTAL ANNIHILATION clone. They just updated the interface, it's quite good.
Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.336 seconds