October 09, 2023
2552 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2751 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What IOS games have you been playing? ARCHIVE

More
15 Feb 2011 11:58 #87977 by Bullwinkle
Anyone tried Reiner Knizia's Money? It's on sale for a buck today.
The topic has been locked.
More
15 Feb 2011 12:44 #87982 by Michael Barnes
I have Money, it's one of those that's really good on the phone but I would probably not want to play in RL. I think it's definitely worth a buck, the AI is pretty good and it's a nice pick up and play game for a ten minute hand of cards.

I like High Society too...most of the Knizia ones turn out pretty well, haven't tried Through the Desert yet.
More
15 Feb 2011 16:19 #88001 by Bullwinkle
I'm starting to get the impression that the Knizia games are all pretty good on iPhone and suck in real life. Which really says something, doesn't it?
More
15 Feb 2011 16:23 #88002 by Michael Barnes
It does- it says that they're made for robots and the lonely.

I like all of the Knizia games I've played...I have most of them apart from TTD, Samurai, and that new dice one. Ingenious is great on the phone, as is Kingdoms. Ra has goofy AI, but it's fun.

SFIV has taken all my iPhone gaming time. I'm stunned at how much of SFIV is there.

I bought RE4, controls are GOD FUCKING AWFUL. But yeah, it's RE4 alright. It's kind of cool, just to have.

Crystal Soul is kind of neat. It's a match-3 but you have a guy that walks around a playfield. You've got four powers, and it's kind of a "complete objectives before you die" thing. Worth a dollar.
More
16 Feb 2011 01:33 #88051 by Grudunza
Crystal Soul isn't bad for a buck, but it seems to have a wild swing of luck; if you can't get those treasure chests you're probably toast.

But between this and Dungeon Raid and the Indiana Jones game I'm gaining an appreciation for what can be done with the match-3 thing. I'm wondering, you guys know of any good thematic match-3 games for PC? I've always overlooked that genre before. Then again, it's probably the kind of thing that's particularly suited to mobile devices. There's a certain cool visceral feeling to flicking your finger around to get a great combo in Dungeon Raid or IJ.
More
16 Feb 2011 05:23 #88062 by Bullwinkle
On PC, Puzzle Quest is the gold standard, although you probably already know that.

Most people consider PQ2 to be a disappointment; I didn't think it was so bad.

Puzzle Quest: Galactrix got such bad reviews that I didn't even try it.

Puzzle Kingdoms is worth a look. Very similar to PQ, but uses troops to deal excess damage as opposed to spells.

Gyromancer is based off Bejeweled Twist rather than Bejeweled (you rotate jewels to match rather than switch or swipe). It's okay, not great, but I might have just been all match-3ed out by the time I played it.

I haven't tried Puzzle Chronicles yet; I've been waiting for it to go on sale. Looks interesting, though.
More
16 Feb 2011 10:04 #88084 by Grudunza
Bullwinkle wrote:

On PC, Puzzle Quest is the gold standard, although you probably already know that.

Nope. No idea. If I saw a PC game at a store with a screen shot full of colored jewels I'd ignore it, but now I'm realizing that the match-3 thing can be pretty cool if done well.

Puzzle Quest: Galactrix got such bad reviews that I didn't even try it.

Yeah, I just looked that up, and it said that it took everything that was great about "Puzzle Quest: Challenge of the Warlords" and ruined it. So have you played the Challenge of the Warlords version? You didn't mention that one.
More
16 Feb 2011 11:52 #88104 by Bullwinkle
Sorry, Challenge of the Warlords is the first Puzzle Quest (the best one). I always forget the subtitle. If you remember the old PC turn-based strategy Warlords games, the designer is the same guy.
More
16 Feb 2011 11:56 #88105 by jeb
I am a Match-3 whore. PQ: CHALLENGE OF THE WARLORDS is probably the most fun of the older titles. The "Blitz" mode of BEJEWELED is probably the most addictive--it's a crazy ride. GYROMANCER has the best story going, lots of attitude, but the game itself is bland as hell.

The new hotness in Match-3 is MIGHT & MAGIC: CLASH OF HEROES. It's fucking great. From Capy, the folks that did CRITTER CRUNCH, which is also great, if limited release (PSN only).
More
16 Feb 2011 11:57 #88106 by Grudunza
Bullwinkle wrote:

Sorry, Challenge of the Warlords is the first Puzzle Quest (the best one). I always forget the subtitle. If you remember the old PC turn-based strategy Warlords games, the designer is the same guy.

Okay, thanks. I'll probably grab that and Puzzle Kingdoms.
More
16 Feb 2011 12:10 #88108 by Michael Barnes
Eh, Galactrix is really good. A lot of people didn't like it because it uses hexes instead of blocks and they "fall" from six different sides, depending on how you slide. It also has A LOT more complexity in terms of RPG elements. There's more sidequest, ship upgrades, items, abilities, etc. TONS of meat there.

The first Puzzle Quest is really the defining example of the genre though...they offer it free every now and then in the App Store. I got it last time it was.

I bought that Indiana Jones game after all your incessant rambling about it, Grudunza...it's really good. THe timer adds some fun tension to it.
More
16 Feb 2011 13:32 #88122 by Grudunza
Michael Barnes wrote:

I bought that Indiana Jones game after all your incessant rambling about it, Grudunza...it's really good. THe timer adds some fun tension to it.

While I will readily admit to incessantly rambling about various things, I don't think a brief paragraph and a few passing mentions about that app qualifies... :o/ But anyway, if you haven't tried the adventure mode already, that's definitely where it's best with the different types of challenges.

Was looking up Puzzle Quest and also added Puzzle Chess , which seems pretty cool so far... uses the basic chess moves with an adventure style. You play as a King and have to avoid the opponents pieces while trying to reach target spaces. It's pretty tricky to navigate, even on some early levels. Fun.

Medieval Battlefields is pretty good as a turn-based tactical game, though so far I think Uniwars is a little better in a similar vein. It's just too easy to win this one, whereas Uniwars kicks my ass pretty badly.

More
16 Feb 2011 16:53 #88148 by iguanaDitty
Michael Barnes wrote:

Eh, Galactrix is really good.

Blech. What I didn't like about Galactrix was that the most tedious puzzle was the one they made you do to unlock gates to go anywhere. Just bogged the whole game down.

I like PQ2 even more than PQ1, personally. It's on rails but I don't particularly mind.
More
16 Feb 2011 16:55 #88149 by jeb
I like the GALACTRIX ~game~ better than the PQ game--but the iguanaDitty is right, the broke it in development. Unlocking and then re-unlocking gates is such a drag the game becomes unplayable.
More
16 Feb 2011 18:22 #88168 by Michael Barnes
While I will readily admit to incessantly rambling about various things, I don't think a brief paragraph and a few passing mentions about that app qualifies... :o/ But anyway, if you haven't tried the adventure mode already, that's definitely where it's best with the different types of challenges.

Jesus, there he goes again, on about that damn Indiana Jones game...

Yeah, that gate business in Galactrix blows, I agree with that.

I think the Blocks Cometh is going to be worth buying for a dollar.
Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.230 seconds