October 09, 2023
2523 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2725 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What TV SHOWS are you watching?

More
06 Jul 2021 17:54 #324474 by Disgustipater

hotseatgames wrote: I got to see the first 3 episodes of Kevin Can Fuck Himself

We watched the first episode of this. I was interested because it seemed like a novel premise, but neither my wife nor I could stand the sitcom parts. They were so over the top parody terrible that it was painful to watch. However, I probably haven’t watched a multi-cam sitcom in 20 years, so maybe it is an accurate depiction? God I hope not…

We likely wont continue watching.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Jul 2021 17:59 #324475 by hotseatgames
I get that. I am quite certain you are supposed to hate the sitcom parts.

More
06 Jul 2021 18:31 #324478 by Disgustipater
We also hated the first three episodes of WandaVision. Maybe we are just curmudgeons.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mtagge

More
06 Jul 2021 19:12 #324480 by Jackwraith

Disgustipater wrote: We watched the first episode of this. I was interested because it seemed like a novel premise, but neither my wife nor I could stand the sitcom parts. They were so over the top parody terrible that it was painful to watch. However, I probably haven’t watched a multi-cam sitcom in 20 years, so maybe it is an accurate depiction? God I hope not…

We likely wont continue watching.

We watched this on hotseat's recommendation and had the same reaction. Neither of us have watched standard network TV in I don't know how long, so sitting through what is supposed to be a stereotypical sitcom (but likely even worse to emphasize how awful her situation is) was just way too teeth-gritting for us to watch anything past the first episode. Plus, I didn't really care for the tortuously-obvious framing ("Oh, look! The old not-quite-boyfriend has returned to town and he's an obvious outlet for her to escape her shitty life that she'll never actually take! Imagine that!") or the neighbor who acknowledged that she made the lead's life even worse by participating in the shitstorm around them. ("With friends like these...") So, yeah. Way too much hammering over the head with the essential plot elements for me, made worse by the fact that I detest half the show's presentation.

More
06 Jul 2021 19:40 #324481 by hotseatgames
I hope I didn't give the impression that it was the best thing ever, I just thought it was unique. :D
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, allismom3, Jackwraith, jason10mm, Disgustipater

More
06 Jul 2021 23:00 #324485 by Jackwraith
No worries. It is an unusual approach and I appreciate their attempt to try it (AMC is well-known for taking unusual pitches and often turning them into classics; see: Breaking Bad, Mad Men, etc., etc.) It just wasn't for me. Also, no apologies allowed for liking stuff. I'm not saying you're wrong for liking it because you can't be. IF it works for you, then it works. I'm notoriously difficult to please in that sphere, anyway (i.e. 90% of all movies and TV is crap.)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Disgustipater

More
07 Jul 2021 00:19 #324486 by Disgustipater
Yeah, my wife expressed interest in watching it before you mentioned it. I only commented because it was brought it up.

More
07 Jul 2021 00:55 #324488 by Ancient_of_MuMu
On the other hand I like Kevin Can Fuck Himself. I was very iffy as to how long the novelty would last, but it all depends on how much they can maintain a long running plot and so far it seems to be holding up.
The following user(s) said Thank You: hotseatgames

More
07 Jul 2021 17:43 #324502 by Ah_Pook
Season 2 of Taskmaster New Zealand started today, and the first episode was quite good. Don't know anyone on the cast of this one, but they hit the ground running for sure.

More
07 Jul 2021 23:43 #324508 by ChristopherMD
World On Fire - It's like they made a television show just for me. I find life during WWII stories more interesting than the battles. This has family left behind in England, resistance fighter in Poland, doctor in Paris, and Helen Hunt as an American journalist in Berlin with a Nazi censor. Also soldiers travelling around with some combat. Second season of an intended six on it's way.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jay718

More
08 Jul 2021 21:34 - 10 Jul 2021 01:25 #324534 by hotseatgames
I'm two episodes in to the new Resident Evil series on Netflix. I'm enjoying it, but I'm also a fan of RE. I don't think it would be terribly appealing to someone who wasn't.

update- finished it, since it is only 4 parts. It's entirely average.
Last edit: 10 Jul 2021 01:25 by hotseatgames.

More
09 Jul 2021 09:38 - 09 Jul 2021 10:05 #324541 by Ah_Pook
Alligator Loki spinoff when plz thx

Edit: Dr Who/Kung Fu esque spin off with old Loki and allocator Loki traveling the multiverse and having adventures? Yes.
Last edit: 09 Jul 2021 10:05 by Ah_Pook.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD, Nodens

More
09 Jul 2021 23:16 #324565 by dysjunct
Spousal unit is watching Virgin River s3, which is filmed in Canada but ostensibly set in my neck of the woods (Humboldt County, CA, USA). It is a romance dramedy kind of thing (“soap opera,” but maybe more modern and self-aware) that occasionally tries to drop local color that is unintentionally hilarious. E.g. characters referring to “running up to Eureka” for a date, but also “stopping in at Shelter Cove;” in reality Shelter Cove is an exceptionally shitty and winding 90 miles southwest of Eureka. (Although once you get there it is beautiful if you like forests that run up to sea bluffs.)

I’ve taken to making it a drinking game every time a character mentions something local. The rest of the show is largely inoffensive and forgettable.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, jason10mm, DarthJoJo

More
10 Jul 2021 09:38 #324570 by jason10mm

Ah_Pook wrote: Alligator Loki spinoff when plz thx

Edit: Dr Who/Kung Fu esque spin off with old Loki and allocator Loki traveling the multiverse and having adventures? Yes.

I haven't watched much of loki but now I'm intrigued about whether or not "alligator loki" is a typo or a spoiler :p

More
10 Jul 2021 17:45 #324582 by mtagge

jason10mm wrote:
I haven't watched much of loki but now I'm intrigued about whether or not "alligator loki" is a typo or a spoiler :p

More easter egg than spoiler.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jason10mm

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.585 seconds