October 09, 2023
2552 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2751 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

What BOARD GAMES are you TRADING?

More
05 Aug 2018 19:22 - 05 Aug 2018 19:53 #279268 by Cranberries
I'm trying to trade away Chariots of Rome with the expansion because my son is leaving for college, meaning it will be my game-hating wife and two teen daughters who really could not care about gaming. Expect to hear me complaining about this more in the next year.

I'm fishing for some big ticket games that I won't get:

Blood Rage
Shadespire
Rising Sun
Steam (which I owned forever and still want to play)
Captain Sonar (maybe some non-gamer adult friends will play this)

I'm not going to get any of these games, so if anyone is interested in Chariots of Rome drop me a note. I leave on a trip soon, so it won't ship for 10+ days.

I'm going to rename this thread to "Shelf Toads that I am inviting to live in my home" oh wait, someone else created it so I can't.
Last edit: 05 Aug 2018 19:53 by Cranberries.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Aug 2018 20:36 #279275 by Not Sure
"What TOADS are you SHELVING?"
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Cranberries, Jackwraith

More
10 Sep 2018 20:16 #281414 by Jackwraith
Curse of the Dark Pharaoh, revised for For the People.
Descent Dungeon Compendium, vol. 1 for all of the Kickstarter add-ons for Fate of the Elder Gods.

I don't play Descent anymore. I still have a complete set of 1st Edition sitting on my shelf that's been for sale and now trade for a few years. No one has even made an offer. OTOH, I probably would play Descent, 2nd Ed. but I sold my complete set a couple years ago when I needed the money. Finally, I decided things just weren't going to sell, so I listed all of the stuff I had for sale for trade, as well. In addition to Descent, there's also a complete set of Arkham Horror, among many other things.

I immediately traded Curse of the Dark Pharaoh for For the People, as the opposite party was looking to complete his set of AH and I was fine with trying out another of GMT's highly-regarded war games. I'm not much of a Civil War guy, but I'll play anything GMT at least once. Then I offered up the Compendium for what I thought was just the Azathoth Kickstarter reward. My opinion on trades is that there really is no getting the "better end of the deal". If you get something you want, that's a successful trade, no matter what you give up to get it. The thing of assumed value that you gave up was just sitting on your shelf, anyway, so why not get something you'll actually play? So, I mailed it off and I got my end of the deal today. Turns out that it was all three Kickstarter goals: Azathoth, two more Beasts cards, and cult power cards for all of the gods. Pretty cool.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frohike

More
10 Sep 2018 21:42 - 10 Sep 2018 21:44 #281421 by Sagrilarus
Field Commander Alexander and ASL Starter Kit 1. Any interest?

Oh and Marrakesh the kids game.
Last edit: 10 Sep 2018 21:44 by Sagrilarus.

More
09 Oct 2018 08:22 #282886 by Jackwraith
Descent: Road to Legend for Legendary Encounters: Predator

The conversation in another thread veered over to LE: Alien this past week and I remembered that there was a Predator counterpart to it (that you can play together, like the amazing Dark Horse miniseries, not the shitty movies) so I decided to try BGG again and almost immediately landed a trade. We played Road to Legend a few times, but it was never really a hit and is the reason there is now a Descent, 2nd Ed. And, as noted, I don't play Descent anymore.

Arkham Horror: Dunwich Horror expansion, Innsmouth Horror expansion, The King in Yellow expansion, Lurker at the Threshold expansion
for
a fully KS kitted out copy of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Shadows of the Past

The initial offer I made was a bunch of Small World expansions that the other party also wanted. But he was less interested in those than in the AH stuff, so he made a counter-offer, which I was fine with. Then I realized what a pain in the ass it was going to be to sort all those cards. But, task accomplished, and it's off. It's almost pathetic how small the monster and gate stacks look now with all of those gone from Dunwich, Innsmouth, and Lurker (although the Lurker gates were supposed to be used in place of regular ones.) I loved Dunwich and thought it was the best of the large expansions. Likewise, I loved KiY for the atmosphere that it brought. While I really enjoyed some parts of Innsmouth, I think it was an expansion that demanded to be played alone, since the Deep One track could be punishing if not regularly engaged. Lurker was the one small expansion that never really worked for me. I think we should have tried it with just the base game to really get the flavor of the alternate gates and other things. I went for the Turtles because it looked interesting and I'm into cool-minis-that-don't-need-to-be-assembled-and-painted games these days.

This has been, by far, the best trade month I've ever had on BGG, not for what I've gotten, but for responses. I put out 4 offers over the weekend and received actual responses on THREE of them (one rejection, one acceptance, and one counter-offer.) I think that's almost unprecedented. Now I won't hear back from anyone for a year...

More
10 Oct 2018 16:05 #282953 by Ah_Pook
Traded Akrotiri and The Expanse Board Game for Mecanisburgo and Whistle Stop. my wife likes puzzly tile laying games and pick up and deliver games, but for whatever reason Akrotiri wasnt a huge hit for us. Whistle Stop is also both those things, so hopefully itll scratch the itch better. and for whatever reason i got a real bug up my butt to try Mecanisburgo lately. ive looked at it off and on for years, but never got around to buying it. i cant honestly tell if it even looks fun, but it looks real out there and i want to poke at it.

More
10 Oct 2018 16:44 #282955 by Michael Barnes
My copy of Mecanisburgo is out there in the landfill.

More
10 Oct 2018 16:44 #282956 by jpat
Traded a VG-condition copy of Cleopatra and the Society of Architects, which USPS downgraded to maybe a good-condition copy on my behalf, for T.I.M.E Stories and three expansions. I've been lukewarm about trying T.I.M.E Stories, but Cleo was just sitting around, and I figured it'd be better to get something that we might actually play than retain something that was decent but that we probably wouldn't.

(Gonna try seeing how the claims-filing process works. The damage was cosmetic and to the upper lid [which isn't used in game play], but still. It's more than annoying, particularly given that I bubbled it, though apparently not enough, put a cardboard backer in at the top, and--most importantly--wrote "fragile" on it.)

More
25 Oct 2018 11:38 #284656 by barrowdown
Trading a ton of stuff for: Ashes: Rise of the Phoenixborn (with a bunch of extra decks), Blood Rage, City of Kings (new, deluxe), Gloomhaven, Kemet, Millennium Blades, Rising Sun (New, with all expansions), BattleCON Fate of Indines, and some Pixel Tactics sets I did not have.

Only game I might miss was Die Macher, but that has not been played in 10 years. Everything else was one of the following: easily replaceable, not wanted at all, or been superseded by a newer, cleaner edition.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frohike

More
15 Nov 2018 21:37 - 16 Nov 2018 08:48 #286237 by Jackwraith
Think this is the biggest single trade I've ever done. The only other ones of this size have been math trades with multiple recipients.

Descent: Journeys in the Dark, 1st Ed.
Descent: Altar of Despair
Descent: Well of Darkness
Descent: Tomb of Ice
Arkham Horror: Black Goat of the Woods
Tichu

for

Guildhall
Legendary Encounters: Alien
Android: Infiltration
Richard III: The Wars of the Roses
Firefly: The Game
Shakespeare
Shakespeare: Prospero

I was never going to play Descent again and it was just going to sit there, taking up space. Instead of having to split it up, this was everything in one fell swoop (admittedly, I'd traded Road to Legend and the adventures book separately, earlier this year.) This nets me Guildhall, which I'd tried and really liked at my friend's recent game weekend; Alien Legendary Encounters, for which I already have Predator; an Android universe game that may be the best of them outside of Netrunner; yet another Columbia block game; Shakespeare, which may not be the greatest game, but satisfies my Bard fandom; and Firefly, which I'm also a huge fan of and have been wanting to try since I sold Merchant of Venus.
Last edit: 16 Nov 2018 08:48 by Jackwraith.

More
15 Nov 2018 21:59 #286239 by Josh Look
Couple really good games in there, Firefly is a favorite of mine. Don’t rush it. Take your time, build up your crew and gear before taking on the hard stuff. It’s not a short game and you’re going to feel like you should be making more progress early on, but really, take it slow. The game moves at an exponential rate later, it will pick up.

Legendary Alien is awesome. I’m pretty sure I’ve played all of them now and that one is by far the best.

More
16 Nov 2018 08:38 - 16 Nov 2018 08:39 #286241 by Mr. White
Richard III is a lot of fun. Not sure if you have the other Jerry Taylor Columbia designs though, Hammer of the Scots and Crusader Rex. Of the three RIII is certainly the fastest playing and the most beautiful.

Regarding the Legendary line. Is that what the Marvel deckbuilder is in? I think I played that once. Has anyone played the Big Trouble in Little China version? My son is a big fan of the movie, so considering it for hi birthday. I can't imagine it possibly being any good....but is it?
Last edit: 16 Nov 2018 08:39 by Mr. White.

More
16 Nov 2018 08:47 #286242 by Jackwraith

Mr. White wrote: Richard III is a lot of fun. Not sure if you have the other Jerry Taylor Columbia designs though, Hammer of the Scots and Crusader Rex. Of the three RIII is certainly the fastest playing and the most beautiful.

Crusader Rex is my all-time favorite of that series. I owned Hammer of the Scots once and ended up trading it during a rough patch of life and have always wanted to get another copy (preferably in trade.)

Mr. White wrote: Regarding the Legendary line. Is that what the Marvel deckbuilder is in?

Yes. Same system. I was introduced to the Legendary Alien version a few years back during a slow X-Wing day at one of the FLGSs and enjoyed it, so I've been looking around recently for it and its near kin. A little ways up the thread you can see my post about trading Descent: Road to Legend for Legendary: Predator, so now I'll be able to do some AvP scenarios, I guess. I haven't tried the BTiLC version, but if your son is a real fan of the movie, you can't go wrong with Everything Epic's version: therewillbe.games/articles-boardgame-rev...na-board-game-review which will probably only run you a few more dollars than the LE game.

More
16 Nov 2018 09:04 - 16 Nov 2018 09:07 #286244 by Mr. White

Jackwraith wrote: I owned Hammer of the Scots once and ended up trading it during a rough patch of life...

Yeah, HotS is fantastic, so to trade it away as a Columbia fan, I can only hope you're in a better place now. One of the RIII scenarios can be played in about 30mins and I understand it to be the title most people play with spouses or other family members (that aren't wargamers). For much much lighter fare, I like Columbia's War of 1812. It's a really old design, but still a lot of easy playin' fun with its simultaneous actions.

I'm on the fence on the BTiLC board game. Traditionally I don't go for licensed titles, but like I said, my son is a big fan of the film. He's even drug us out to the theater to see it even though we own it at home. I guess I was thinking the deckbuilder would let us play around in that world without a lot of over head. The pics of the board game look like there are components everywhere. Also, does it feel like the board game can play out differently or will it start to feel the same over time following sequences from the film?
Last edit: 16 Nov 2018 09:07 by Mr. White.

More
16 Nov 2018 09:17 #286246 by Jackwraith
I guess I was at a point where Hammer felt "samey" to me? I'd been in too many games where even a semi-surprising Coronation didn't really change the way the game was playing out. At the time, I couldn't bear to part with Rex or Rommel and I just remember thinking that if I wanted Hammer back at some point, I could always get it. Since then, I've acquired several more block games, but I would like to re-add Hammer to the collection. Of course, I've now lost my regular 2p opponent, so maybe there's not much point in doing that right now. However, part of my desire to trade for RIII was to see if I could sneak my girlfriend into playing these types of games and I knew that was the best launching pad that Columbia has.

I wasn't real certain about the Big Trouble game, either. I don't even remember why I decided to hop into the Kickstarter at the last minute. But it's turned out to be a positive thing. The game is quite fun and there's a lot of replayability built in with the variety of quests and heroes to play each time. It does still hew to the film, in general, which is kinda the point, but you don't feel like you're playing the same game over and over (at least in the few plays that I've gotten.) I'd think of it like War of the Ring: it's the same scenario, but cards and dice can push you in a lot of different directions. With Big Trouble, there's even more variation, because if you take a different hero mix, you'll be doing different quests from the outset. I've found it to be surprisingly worthwhile and, so far, haven't heard a negative opinion about it among the people I've played with, including at least one who doesn't care for co-ops at all.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.469 seconds