October 09, 2023
2546 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2744 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What KICKSTARTER(S) are you BACKING and WHY?

More
27 Jan 2022 23:43 #330198 by Michael Barnes
I’m going to go all in on Thunder Road. That has consistently been one of my most wanted games and I like the look of the redevelopments. I didn’t like Fireball Island’s additions but I’ve come to actually really enjoy them. They are all stupid as hell and almost don’t work most of the time. But when they do…it’s great. You just have to let up a little. Like with that stupid rubber rock. You can’t expect it to be a game changer, usually it does Jack suit. But then it suddenly does and it’s GREAT. I think they make some pretty thoughtful changes…it’s easy to fault them for making things more modern and losing some of the simplicity but I think they usually err on the side of making a better game.

I really want a Crokinole board but I can’t justify getting in that KS. Mayday plus KS is an ethical trashfire.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb, Msample

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Jan 2022 06:16 #330199 by southernman

Michael Barnes wrote: I’m going to go all in on Thunder Road. That has consistently been one of my most wanted games and I like the look of the redevelopments. I didn’t like Fireball Island’s additions but I’ve come to actually really enjoy them. They are all stupid as hell and almost don’t work most of the time. But when they do…it’s great. You just have to let up a little. Like with that stupid rubber rock. You can’t expect it to be a game changer, usually it does Jack suit. But then it suddenly does and it’s GREAT. I think they make some pretty thoughtful changes…it’s easy to fault them for making things more modern and losing some of the simplicity but I think they usually err on the side of making a better game.

Waaaaay expensive for kids toys and a game .... you have joined the kickstarter sucker club, welcome.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Michael Barnes, Gary Sax, drewcula, n815e

More
28 Jan 2022 08:42 #330201 by the_jake_1973
When a system like Gaslands exists, there is zero reason to drop money on Thunder Road.

More
28 Jan 2022 09:15 #330202 by Disgustipater

the_jake_1973 wrote: When a system like Gaslands exists, there is zero reason to drop money on Thunder Road.

As someone who plays Gaslands several times a month, I disagree. Thunder Road would be played at board game nights as it is much shorter and simpler. Obviously Gaslands is my go-to, but I definitely think TR has its place.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb, John Myers01

More
28 Jan 2022 10:41 #330205 by fightcitymayor

southernman wrote: Waaaaay expensive for kids toys and a game .... you have joined the kickstarter sucker club, welcome.

Look on the bright side: 6 months after receiving the All-In pledge MB will sell it all off here on TWBG, might even turn a profit. All's well that ends well, and on to the next trend hotness.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Michael Barnes, southernman, jeb, Msample, Varys, n815e

More
28 Jan 2022 14:01 #330212 by n815e

fightcitymayor wrote:

southernman wrote: Waaaaay expensive for kids toys and a game .... you have joined the kickstarter sucker club, welcome.

Look on the bright side: 6 months after receiving the All-In pledge MB will sell it all off here on TWBG, might even turn a profit. All's well that ends well, and on to the next trend hotness.

I look forward to his review.

The one where he makes me want to buy it.

And then he’ll put it up for sale.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Michael Barnes, southernman, Varys

More
28 Jan 2022 14:22 - 28 Jan 2022 15:48 #330214 by Virabhadra
Hmm.

Here's the Thunder Road all-in pledge ($145):

Warning: Spoiler!

Here's the 2019 Anachrony Infinity Box pledge ($150):

Warning: Spoiler!

There seems to be a... disparity... between these offerings. Why? Economy of scale? Price of production in 2022? Or is this apples and oranges for some other reason? I'm not trying to harsh on TR:V but I'm a little puzzled.
Last edit: 28 Jan 2022 15:48 by Virabhadra.

More
28 Jan 2022 14:38 - 28 Jan 2022 14:40 #330215 by charlest
One is a campaign that's already finished, right?

That means it includes all of the stretch goals in that graphic, the other doesn't.

Also, Anachrony is a reprint where the molds for the minis are already paid for, which likely diminishes the cost. What turns me off of Thunder Road is that there is very little reason to back the campaign. I hate exclusives, but the fact is, this will be cheaper post Kickstarter, particularly when you factor in shipping. We have evidence of this with Fireball Island.

I dropped my pledge of Purple Haze as well, as that is going to fund and will be available at retail later. Really don't need to be spending too much on games.

I am still in for a Crokinole board. I don't like supporting Mayday at all, but I don't see another viable option as I'm not spending $300+ on a board elsewhere.
Last edit: 28 Jan 2022 14:40 by charlest.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Msample

More
28 Jan 2022 14:45 - 28 Jan 2022 16:05 #330216 by Virabhadra
The KS page says that picture includes the expansions and stretch goals. The Thunder Road stretch goals all look like more cards and a map tile?

As I said, maybe it's apples and oranges, but man does that not strike me as a $145 game.

EDIT: Yeah, I don't know. The original Anachrony Kickstarter: kickstarter.com/projects/mindclash/anachrony

That pledge was $79, the project had less funding than Thunder Road currently has with two weeks to go, and it still included like 30 chunky exosuit miniatures.
Last edit: 28 Jan 2022 16:05 by Virabhadra.

More
28 Jan 2022 14:57 #330218 by charlest
There will be many more stretch goals for Thunder Road if it busts through funding. That Anachrony graphic is post campaign with all of the stretch goals included, the Thunder Road graphic is not. The only true way to compare them is to look when the campaign is finished and then assess.

More
28 Jan 2022 19:30 #330227 by Ah_Pook
If you don't think TR is worth the asking price don't buy it? If you want Anachrony instead buy that?

More
28 Jan 2022 19:57 #330228 by jeb
I'm a little weirded out by "Stretch Goals" past the $500k mark. Like... maybe just toss those in there guys. Unless you're gilding it, just put that shit in the box.

More
28 Jan 2022 19:57 - 28 Jan 2022 19:58 #330229 by Virabhadra
I have (and love) Anachrony. I took a really hard second look at the Thunder Road Kickstarter when MB announced that he was going all in - I've been reading his reviews for over a decade and when he gets that excited about something, it's almost always something I end up liking as well.

I'm not even considering pulling the trigger on it at that price and I hope that's not because I'm just out of touch with how much new games cost.
Last edit: 28 Jan 2022 19:58 by Virabhadra.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, cdennett

More
29 Jan 2022 07:53 #330240 by Sagrilarus

Virabhadra wrote: I'm not even considering pulling the trigger on it at that price and I hope that's not because I'm just out of touch with how much new games cost.

It’s about how they’re made, not the cost. All these games could be half the price if they didn’t go “big”. Games on Target’s shelves sell for very reasonable prices. But you can’t sell Jaws on Kickstarter. “Big” sells on Kickstarter.

I can’t buy any of these because I don’t have room for them. I’m neck deep in junk in my house, games and otherwise.

And the boxes they come in. Right now there’s a “Kallax crisis” in America (saw the term on Reddit) because new games don’t fit in the official container of the hobby. We are truly in the dark days of gaming.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Virabhadra

More
29 Jan 2022 11:19 #330246 by Msample
Just got a shipping notice that a 20 lb box of CORE SPACE FIRST BORN is en route.
The following user(s) said Thank You: hotseatgames

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.284 seconds