October 09, 2023
2514 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2713 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What Board Game have you been playing? ARCHIVE

More
14 Jul 2009 22:09 #34969 by kookoobah
Mr Skeletor wrote:
Personally I've been playing

Arkham solo (want to beat each expansion once in a row, then each herald)
[/quote]

Just curious, are you playing this straight up with 1 investigator, multiple investigators or house ruled?
The topic has been locked.
More
14 Jul 2009 22:16 #34973 by Hex Sinister
Axis and Allies I lost Germany to my Allied girlfriend. Quite fucked!

Alhambra Has become a staple for when we don't have time or brain juice for other stuff.

Battlestar Galactica Finally got to play this (and view 1.5 seasons). Awesome show and game. Loathsome traitor Starbuck! Game was insta-hit.

Agricola It was hot as hell so we went to the forest park on the peninsula for a picnic and game. Fantastic weather and scenery for a relaxing afternoon in the shade of old growth trees. So we play all the way to the final round and as I'm running to the car to get a pen it fucking starts raining. That's Washington for ya. They had the pieces cleaned up before I could tally. Pretty funny, really.

Last Night On Earth I'm about ready to math trade this fetid turd.
More
14 Jul 2009 23:00 #34975 by Mr Skeletor
kookoobah wrote:

Mr Skeletor wrote:
Personally I've been playing

Arkham solo (want to beat each expansion once in a row, then each herald)

Just curious, are you playing this straight up with 1 investigator, multiple investigators or house ruled?[/quote]

4 investigators. A couple of house rules.
More
15 Jul 2009 00:26 #34984 by Shellhead
I finally bought Armageddon Empires, and have now played two full games as the Empire of Man.

#1: Battled the Free Mutants and my old demo enemies, The Machine Empire. I got a bad starting position sort of in between the other two factions, but a convenient mountain range kept the Machine Empire off my back for most of the game. And I was playing a deck that I designed for the demo version, heavy on scouting, sabotage and air strikes. For old times' sake, I eventually crushed the Machine Empire like an aluminum can. Then the Free Mutants showed up at my stronghold, kicking on the door hard. After 104 turns of tough play, I foolishly thought that I wouldn't be ousted until all of my bases were destroyed, so I retreated my army from there even though it still had some fight left. I lost, but it was still my highest scoring game, at 159. I was totally out of cards by around turn 90.

#2: Just finished a 4-player game with 225-point armies on a medium-sized map. I was playing a new deck design that was more well-rounded than the one from game #1. I got lucky and drew several scouts in my opening hand, and quickly sent them scurrying around. There was a shitload of road warrior dudes near my stronghold, and also a "wilderness shrine" ruled by the Blue Jade Princess, who was nekkid but strategically shielded by comfy pillows in her picture. Her Iron Monk followers appeared to be fanatical shaolin types... very cool. I randomly found some kind of energy weapon that gave my mecha an extra 1d6 damage if he scored at least one hit on an opposing unit. That made a huge difference in many battles for the rest of the game.

The annoying Free Mutants stomped three of my scouts early on, and the fourth died on a camoflauged minefield left there by independents, but I soon had a mech out and started stomping road warriors and setting up resource collectors. Just as my empire was starting to really shape up with some tanks and commandos, I got a disturbing report that a nuke just went off somewhere. A turn later, some of my commandos located the HQ of the Xenomorphs, and it appeared that they were the ones who had been nuked, judging by the damage on their stronghold. A few turns later, another nuke went off, and the Xenomorphs were out of the game. I still don't know who did it.

On the edge of my supply zone, my mecha killed some freaky alien independent biomech and took over his bizarre Strange Gate location. Very Lovecraftian, and also one helluva of a fortress, even partially shielded against WMDs because half the radiation would get dumped into another dimension through that big gateway. A couple of turns later, my commandos located the Machine Empire HQ.

Before I could crush my old enemies again, the Free Mutants started harassing me on the other side of my domain. For the next two dozen turns, my mech and some serious tank units racked up victory after victory after victory against various Free Mutant forces that might have normally posed a serious threat. Finally, I stomped into their HQ and finished them off.

As I started to turn my attention towards the Machine Empire, active espionage attacks started messing with me pretty badly, increasing the cost to deploy cards one turn, and costing me half my action points on another turn. This went on for several turns until my mech/tank force finally crashed into their main base and killed everything.

My first big win: 282 points!

I know, technically Armageddon Empires is a PC game, but I feel that it's actually an outstanding hybrid of wargame and CCG that just happens to be designed for computer play. If you enjoy either wargames or CCGs, you've got to give this game a try with the excellent free demo. If you love both wargames and CCGs (unlikely but possible), you absolutely need to be playing this game.
More
15 Jul 2009 00:42 #34988 by metalface13
Yeah I've played the demo for Armageddon Empires and thought it was awesome. But I couldn't justify spending $40 to download an indie game.
More
15 Jul 2009 01:25 #34993 by metalface13
Redownloaded the demo. I'm glad it's for Mac too! I guess the game is $30 but not $40. I'd probably throw down if I wasn't saving up for an Xbox. AE would be a great game for XBLA if you ask me.

I played one game, kind of remembered what was going on. I should read the manual again.

Their new game coming out sounds pretty cool, too.
More
15 Jul 2009 06:06 #35002 by scissors
Snow Tails. Say Anything. Tichu. War of the Ring.

Looking forward to: BSG (played once), Senji, Descent.

LNoE: a steaming turd?!! I don't think so. Not by a long shot.
More
15 Jul 2009 06:19 #35004 by The Expanding Man
SNow Tails also.

Dominion. It starts to shine after a dozen or so plays.

Had a game of Conflict of Heroes - really good light/medium WW11 squad game.
More
15 Jul 2009 06:29 #35005 by KingPut
Last few weeks
Memoirs 44 - Overlord with 8 players
AH - Innsmouth - 5 players loss
Dungeonquest
Nexus Ops
AH - Innsmouth - Solo 4 player loss
AH - Innsmouth - Solo 4 player win
AH - Innsmouth - 5 players loss
Dominion - Intrigue
Survive
Life Boats
Formula De

10 out of 11 games were great. One game = ZZZZ shuffle ZZZZ "I'm bored" ZZZZZ Count the Victory points ZZZZZ.
More
15 Jul 2009 08:52 #35009 by Notahandle
Michael Barnes wrote:
" Madre de dios, what is this? Match.com? Get a room, you two."
Jealous much? You'll have to console yourself with Southern trying to cosy up to you in Trashdome (*) or your on again off again affair with Steve Weeks...

(*) Don't worry, he claims the electric cattle prod only smarts a little at first!
More
15 Jul 2009 10:37 #35024 by Pat II
JonJacob wrote:

Pat II wrote:

Almost exclusively solo Tide of Iron lately.

Good man, good man. With any expansions? I love the rescue mission scenario in Days of the Fox, but Frank Chadwicks scenario in the Designer Book is pretty awesome and quickly becoming a favorite as well.

I've got all the expansions and rotate which ones I play. The only expansion I don't have - if you call it one - is the map pack. had it in my hands last night again and put it down. I also adjust the scenarios when needed to include all the peices. I understand why the designer series only uses mostly the base game pieces but I have AT guns in the box and I'm going to use them! Not to mention panthers...

Like most people I'm eagerly awaiting the Eastern Front expansion which will hopefully round everything out.
More
15 Jul 2009 11:07 #35026 by OldHippy
Pat II wrote:

JonJacob wrote:

Pat II wrote:

Almost exclusively solo Tide of Iron lately.

Good man, good man. With any expansions? I love the rescue mission scenario in Days of the Fox, but Frank Chadwicks scenario in the Designer Book is pretty awesome and quickly becoming a favorite as well.

I've got all the expansions and rotate which ones I play. The only expansion I don't have - if you call it one - is the map pack. had it in my hands last night again and put it down. I also adjust the scenarios when needed to include all the peices. I understand why the designer series only uses mostly the base game pieces but I have AT guns in the box and I'm going to use them! Not to mention panthers...

Like most people I'm eagerly awaiting the Eastern Front expansion which will hopefully round everything out.

The map expansion is a waste of money unless you want it for home brew scenarios... which I've thought about, I almost bought about four seperate times now but always manage to resist.

The Eastern Front expansion would be awesome, especially with Dana Lomardy apparently revising his Streets of Stalingrad scenarios to the TOI system. But personally I'm even more excited about the Pacific expansion (years down the road I'm sure) because I want Island boards, little boats... and a new axis to fight for cool four player scenarios.

Does anyone know if there is a Mac flas scenario editor?? It's taking forever to get the cross platform new scenario editor with the expansions. If there's one thing that is pissing me off about FFG... it's the scenario editor... whether Decent or TOI.
More
15 Jul 2009 11:24 #35027 by Pat II
I don't play enough to get involved with the scenario editor. I just grab a scenario and start subbing or adding units to give it a little extra flavor. A Pacific expansion will be great too with loads of rough terrain and hard defenses. I just have a feeling the FFG will add a little meat to the rules in an East Front expansion.
More
15 Jul 2009 11:43 #35030 by jeb
Replied by jeb on topic Re:What have you been playing?
I've played about 8 billion games on UNO with my kids. At 5.5 and almost 4--they really know how to rock this one. We even have lingo:

"I'm-sorry-but-this-my-only-[blue]-card" as you play a [blue] Draw 2. Note: It is not their only blue card.

"Daaaaang it!" When you have said UNO, but then have to take a card on your next turn.

A habit picked up from grandfather--when you have UNO, you put the card facedown and tap it gently until your next turn. Tap tap tap tap...

I saw my brother-in-law recently. I had to bring the Euros in case Hadar (wife) wanted to play. We played CARCASSONNE: THE CITY--this game looks frigging nice, and BUY LOW SELL HIGH, which is remarkably playable. Especially when you fuck with Tech prices as much as I did.

About a month ago I played ARKHAM HORROR (+ DUNWICH) with come locals and special guest star: KingPut! He was in town, eating for a living, and swung by. We did three player as the locals had to swap out about halfway through. Let the record reflect that KingPut could not roll for shit. I'm pretty sure he had to roll 7's to pass his skill checks. Awful. I was no great shakes, mind you, but lord, I looked the peach next to him. After confusing the shit out of the rookie, we played on until Ithaqua lurched into our reality out of the frozen mists. And then we rolled sixes left and right and killed him by turn two or three. An INSANE beatdown. It was such a juxtaposition from the turns Lost In Time & Space, HMO memberships at St. Mary's, and so on. We should have been setting up gates to bring that guy sooner--would've saved some time.
More
15 Jul 2009 12:19 #35037 by Michael Barnes
SNOW TAILS is popping up a lot...seems like it's got good traction around here. Maybe Branham will let me play his copy thursday.
Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 1.345 seconds