October 09, 2023
2546 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2744 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What Board Game have you been playing? ARCHIVE

More
21 Jul 2009 21:09 #35868 by Michael Barnes
Tom, that's a great idea. I'd like you to go on a fact finding mission to see what is going on at the Eurogames compound Adrian has apparently situated himself in. If you find traces of wooden cubes or evidence of excessive FACTORY FUN play, eliminate him.

But watch out, if he appears bald and overweight, is heavily shadowed, and starts babbling about "the horror", get out. Don't wait for the cow to be slaughtered, it's not for barbecue.
The topic has been locked.
More
22 Jul 2009 06:31 #35901 by billyz
Okay, I've got something to admit: I've been playing the crap out of Agricola lately.

Yeah. I know. But there's something about that game just does it for me. It's my favorite euro by far.

There's nothing so wrong with liking Agricola in and of itself right? Yeah, I thought so too until the other day when my wife wanted to play her favorite game and we played Agricola instead.

Helen's fav game is Fury of Dracula...

What?! Don't judge me! She always guilts us into letting her be Dracula, and I'm sick of being a fucking hunter ,and having my ass handed to me by damn Szgany (or whatever the hell they're now called in FFG's version) every time I set foot in Eastern Europe!

That's shit's only funny when I'm the one doing it!

What?!

No. You can't see my F:AT card... (runs away)
More
22 Jul 2009 07:21 #35904 by mjl1783

There's nothing so wrong with liking Agricola in and of itself right? Yeah, I thought so too until the other day when my wife wanted to play her favorite game and we played Agricola instead.

You just made baby Jesus cry.
More
22 Jul 2009 08:34 #35909 by Schweig!
When we were not talking about games, it was claimed that F:AT were dead.

Now with all this eurocrap talk, does that mean F:AT is comatose - or incapacitated - or unconscious?
More
22 Jul 2009 09:53 #35910 by Merkles
Played Daytona 500 with the kids the other day. It was pretty fun...but took longer than I thought it would. I liked it, though---esp the passing on teh turns and the bidding at the start of the race.
More
22 Jul 2009 10:25 #35911 by NeonPeon
This Saturday I'll finally be out of an almost-two-month gaming dry spell, and I should be playing Fury of Dracula, Cosmic Encounter and/or BSG.
More
22 Jul 2009 12:29 #35919 by southernman
Schweig! wrote:

When we were not talking about games, it was claimed that F:AT were dead.

Now with all this eurocrap talk, does that mean F:AT is comatose - or incapacitated - or unconscious?

No - it just means that a few F:ATies have gone a bit wayward, and Mr Weeks may be getting some respite from the electric cattle prod as more needy individuals need some therapy.
More
22 Jul 2009 18:30 #35974 by billyz
Nah, we're not comatose, and nobody's going a bit wayward. In the grand scheme of things I'm sure that 90% of our gaming is still AT.

I'm just the kind of guy that likes going out for burgers even if I have steak at home. In a gaming sense. My major time sink right now is trying to organise a rip roaring day of playing TI3 amongst a group of friends who all have conflicting schedules.
More
22 Jul 2009 18:44 #35975 by Michael Barnes
Sometimes I neglect to tell this thread how much I love it. I really do like hearing what you guys are playing and getting reactions to what is actually hitting tables out there. I think this thread is the glue that holds our community together.

Apart from Adrian and his FACTORY FUNning. That's tearing us apart.
More
22 Jul 2009 20:07 #35989 by Mr Skeletor
billyz wrote:

Okay, I've got something to admit: I've been playing the crap out of Agricola lately.

Yeah. I know. But there's something about that game just does it for me. It's my favorite euro by far.

What?! Don't judge me! She always guilts us into letting her be Dracula, and I'm sick of being a fucking hunter ,and having my ass handed to me by damn Szgany (or whatever the hell they're now called in FFG's version) every time I set foot in Eastern Europe!

That's shit's only funny when I'm the one doing it!

What?!

No. You can't see my F:AT card... (runs away)

I'd call you a fag (in an internet kite flying sort of way) but I seriously doubt you own a set of BALLS!
The fact you not only did the above but actually came on here and freely admitted it without dying of fucking shame shows everything that is wrong with America at the moment. I'd abuse you more but I'm too busy shaking with rage at the moment.
More
22 Jul 2009 21:19 #35999 by billyz
Mr Skeletor wrote:

I'd call you a fag (in an internet kite flying sort of way) but I seriously doubt you own a set of BALLS!
The fact you not only did the above but actually came on here and freely admitted it without dying of fucking shame shows everything that is wrong with America at the moment. I'd abuse you more but I'm too busy shaking with rage at the moment.[/quote]

Hehe. I've got a big enough set for the both of us, and if you were here I'd I'd suggest you give them a lick. But only to help you with that shaking with rage thing.

Look, Agricola is a good game that's easily picked up by people who can't wrap their heads around games with themes genrally associated with AT. My cousin and his wife both work in finance, and their gaming experiance consists solely of _you guessed it_ Monopoly. When I introduced them to Agricola they fell in love with the game, it's theme in particular. Next on the list is Settlers and once we've built their confidence up we'll try some Fury or Last Night on Earth.

Is it really bothering people that I confess to really enjoy playing a euro, or Agricola in particular for that matter? I never puffed the damn thing at BGG, and I could seriously give a fuck about the whole AT vs. Euro horsehit anyway. My biggest problem with BGG was ( and still is) they way they offhandedly dissmissed ALL AT games for the stupidest fucking reasons: they have "dolls", they're immature, they're too long, plyer elimination is bad, etc...

In some cases they were right. Shit like WW IV and it's ilk are what ushered in the whole German game phase of the 90's to begin with, but that's far cry from saying that ALL AT sucks. The whole point here is whether a game is AT or Euro has fuck all to do with if the game is good or not: I judge each game I play individually, and my final evaluation is based solely on the game's merits.

Very rarely do Euros pass the grade, but in the case of Agricola I think Hanno got it right. I'd hate to think we'd start painting all Euros wiht the same brush simply because of stupid fucking reasons like: their colour palette is drab, they're just efficiency exercises disguised as games, no player elimination etc..
More
22 Jul 2009 21:50 #36004 by ubarose
Yesterday I played Last Night on Earth, Escape in the Truck scenario. It was the first time in a long time that I was playing against adults, so I didn't have to hold back on the Zombies. The very first turn, the heroes got the keys AND the gas, I kid you not. I was like, damn, I finally get to unleash the Zombies full tilt, and this game is going to be over in three turns. Well, it was, but not for the Zombies. The heroes with the keys and the gas got locked into the police station. Then they started bickering. They couldn't shoot for shit, so the next thing you know, the dude with the gas and keys is getting his brains sucked out, and the chick with him is running across town to the pharmacy to try to heal up. HA! The rest was just the humans getting chased around town screaming like little girls.
More
22 Jul 2009 22:01 #36006 by Sagrilarus
Tales of the Arabian Nights tonight. I was Sinbad, and he didn't live up to his reputation.

I guess I should have put to sea more.

Sag.
More
22 Jul 2009 22:04 #36007 by Mr Skeletor
billyz wrote:

Look, Agricola is a good game that's easily picked up by people who can't wrap their heads around games with themes genrally associated with AT. My cousin and his wife both work in finance, and their gaming experiance consists solely of _you guessed it_ Monopoly. When I introduced them to Agricola they fell in love with the game, it's theme in particular. Next on the list is Settlers and once we've built their confidence up we'll try some Fury or Last Night on Earth.

Is it really bothering people that I confess to really enjoy playing a euro, or Agricola in particular for that matter? I never puffed the damn thing at BGG, and I could seriously give a fuck about the whole AT vs. Euro horsehit anyway. My biggest problem with BGG was ( and still is) they way they offhandedly dissmissed ALL AT games for the stupidest fucking reasons: they have "dolls", they're immature, they're too long, plyer elimination is bad, etc...

In some cases they were right. Shit like WW IV and it's ilk are what ushered in the whole German game phase of the 90's to begin with, but that's far cry from saying that ALL AT sucks. The whole point here is whether a game is AT or Euro has fuck all to do with if the game is good or not: I judge each game I play individually, and my final evaluation is based solely on the game's merits.

Very rarely do Euros pass the grade, but in the case of Agricola I think Hanno got it right. I'd hate to think we'd start painting all Euros wiht the same brush simply because of stupid fucking reasons like: their colour palette is drab, they're just efficiency exercises disguised as games, no player elimination etc..

Why must you stab fun in the face Billy? It wants to be your friend.
More
22 Jul 2009 22:19 - 22 Jul 2009 22:20 #36012 by ubarose
Sagrilarus wrote:

Tales of the Arabian Nights tonight. I was Sinbad, and he didn't live up to his reputation.

I guess I should have put to sea more.

Sag.

HA! Once the Man was Sinbad in a game of Tales that has become legendary. He ended up lost (another player chooses his movement) and insane (another player chooses his reaction). We laughed our asses off for a few turns, and then he got imprisioned, and we laughed even harder.
Last edit: 22 Jul 2009 22:20 by ubarose.
Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.810 seconds